New makeup suggestions

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So, with income Tax coming up, I decided to give my younger sister my older makeup and start fresh with a whole new makeup "wardrobe" if you will. I would love both HE and DS suggestions.

I have whittled what I "need" down to a list: 

• foundation (or bb cream/tinted moisturizer ect)
  • face primer
  • bronzer 
  • blush
  • eyeshadow (Palette suggestions would be awesome as well)
  • Eyeliner (I need lots of suggestions for this)
  • Mascara
  • Lip products (balms/llipsticks/stains)
  • Makeup brushes

What are your personal preferences?

Foundation.. I'm a die hard Revlon Color Stay fan; bb creams.. Dr. Jart, Missha, Hanskin are all great IMO. Primer.. depends on whether your foundation/bb cream is silicone or water based and I've had great success with Smashbox, Clarins balm, even the Sephora brand anti-shine primer. I've been using a matte NYC bronzer for two years, but if you're fair skinned, try matte. Shimmer bronzers are best in summer or on darker toned beauties. Blush.. I'm in love with my ELF blush in shocking pink, theBalm Hot Mama, and a Laura Gellar one.. ooh, the new WetNWild champagne rose, which a very nice and enabling woman here turned me onto! Eye Shadows.. love the UD Naked2 palette, probably any of theirs; BH Cosmetics makes beautiful palette options and they're very affordable! theBalm has several palette options and their shadows are buttery and have great pigment.. definitely think palettes are a great option, for a quick way to amass some variety. Maybelline 24 hr color tattoos for an affordable cream shadow in great colors, which can also be used as an eye base. Eye Liner.. liquid, felt tip or pencil, what concerns do you have? I use everything from WetNWild to Mary Kay, and Eyeko.. UD makes awesome 24/7 liners(pencils), I'm in love with Eyeko for felt tips and gorgeous color that stays all day. Also love my Tarte Amazonian clay gel liner. Mascara.. waterproof or no? I'm a fan of L'Oreal, especially their Voluminous or Telescopic mascaras, Tarte's Lights Camera Lashes, Benefit's They're Real..although Maybelline makes the blue rocket mascara which is similar in performance and wear to the benefit one. Lippies.. I love Tokyo Milk Dark balms(Sephora) which have interesting flavors and come in a great huge tin; Lush has nice balms, too.. I've been wearing Maybelline Whispers a lot, they're balmy and moisturizing, but have color pigmentation like a normal lippie and a slight glossy finish. Also like Revlon lip butters and their new suedes for a good matte finish. Love Buxom glosses, tingly and pretty shiny gloss lol. Brushes.. still exploring there myself, but I'm in love with my new Sonia Kashuk stipple brush! ELF has decent brushes for your eyes and whatnot.. Real Techniques, Eco Tools, and Sigma are always spoken highly of and I plan on picking some of those up when my return comes, too lol.

Consistently good for me are

urban decay eyeliners

lancome mascaras (have oscillation right now)

make up for ever matte foundation

So, with income Tax coming up, I decided to give my younger sister my older makeup and start fresh with a whole new makeup "wardrobe" if you will. I would love both HE and DS suggestions. I have whittled what I "need" down to a list: 
  • face primer
  • bronzer 
  • blush
  • Mascara
  • Makeup brushes
My favorites (I'm looking at my stash haha) are... Blush-Nars Orgasm Lip gloss- urban decay naked Eye shadow palettes- urban decay naked 2, stila in the light, the balm jovi rock star Eyeliner and mascara-blinc I am still seeking the perfect foundation or bb cream. I don't use a face primer but you should defiantly get an eye primer. I love too faced shadow insurance and urban decay. The balm is good as well.

Foundation and primer- Skin79 or Missha BB cream Bronzer- Too Faced Chocolate Soleil Matte Blush- NYX stick blush Eyeshadow palettes- UD Naked 2, Stila In the Light are great neutral starters, NYX Jumbo Eye Pencils Eyeliners- UD 24/7 pencils, eyeko skinny liquid eyeliner Mascara- Tarte Gifted and Lights, Camera, Lashes Lips- Fresh Sugar Lip Treatments, Buxom glosses Brushes- Too Faced Teddy Bear Hair

Originally Posted by rebelyell /img/forum/go_quote.gif

So, with income Tax coming up, I decided to give my younger sister my older makeup and start fresh with a whole new makeup "wardrobe" if you will. I would love both HE and DS suggestions.

I have whittled what I "need" down to a list: 

• face primer
  • bronzer 
  • blush
  • Mascara
  • Makeup brushes

Hello! I go through favorites often, but currently these are my top products that I love and most of them are quite affordable :)

Foundation - I'm completely obsessed with BB Cream and my fav is Loreal's Magic Skin Beautifier BB Cream

Face Primer - For eyes, Urban Decay's Primer Potion is, if you'll excuse my lingo, 'da bomb, and for the face I actually don't use a   primer, but I do use Urban Decay's De-slick Makeup Setting Spray instead

Bronzer - I'm still looking for the perfect Bronzer for my skin, but I currently use Rimmel Natural Bronzer and it's not bad :)

Blush - I am so torn between some favs right now! Wet n Wild Mega Glow Illuminating Powder and Physician's Formula Happy Booster Glow and Mood Boosting Blush...they are both so fab, I love them <3

Eyeshadows - So I'm the biggest eyeshadow lover, seriously, I can never have enough. I highly highly recommend Urban Decay's Naked Palette if you want to spend a little, but gain a fabulous palette that'll never go out of style. If you want to go for something cheaper and more color options, then I suggest checking out Coastal Scent's palettes. They have SO many to choose from, and at amazing prices. I just purchased the 252 color palette for only $25 :-D

Eyeliner - As MissLindaJean said, it depends on what you want. For liquid, I recommend L'Oreal Telescopic Waterproof eyeliner, stays ALL day, doesn't smudge, but it easily comes off with makeup remover. For more colors, I recommend Stila's Sparkle Waterproof Eye Liner...it does take a while to take all the color off, but it's worth it to me, the colors are so vibrant, especially Bora Bora. For pencil liners, I love Urban Decay's line, especially their Smoked 24/7 set.

Mascara - At the moment, I'm in love with Rimmel's Flex ScandelEyes Lycra Mascara. Goes on so lightly and you can seriously layer this stuff on and it won't clump. It also seriously thickens and lengthens!

Lip Products - For lipsticks, I'm actually currently into L'Oreal's Colour Riche Caresse. They can be as light as a tint or as deep and vibrant as you want if you layer! They last a good long while too. For glosses, I'm actually just using Baby Lips in all their new colors, they feel so amazing. I don't really use lipstains, I only put lipstick on, then wipe most of it off.

Make-up Brushes - Depends on how much you want to spend :) If you want cheaper but good quality, I saw go with Coastal Scent's 22 piece brush set. Great brushes with good variety, don't shed and I think they're cute. If you want expensive and good quality then Pirouette brand is my favorite brush. They are SLEEK and fabulous, but definitely more expensive.

I hope these suggestions help! :)

This was probably the best help ever! You have influenced my purchases quite a bit. As for the eyeliner, I need suggestions for a good liquid liner for the top lashes and a good kohl eyeliner

Liquid eyeliner I love Blinc, but if you prefer a felt tip try Revlon Color Stay.

foundation (or BB cream/tinted moisturizer etc) - This totally depends on your skin type. BB creams and tinted moisturizers are great, but I'd recommend getting a creme foundation such as MAC full coverage or a high-coverage liquid like MAC studio fix. These can be sheered down with some moisturizer to achieve the perfect amount of coverage for your skin type!

face primer- MAC Prep 'n Prime is great, but I'm a die hard Smashbox Photofinish primer fan! They also have a whole line of correcting primers that can do wonders for brightening and evening out your skin!

bronzer- MAC Mineralize Skin Finish in Give Me Sun! I love this one.

blush- Too many to chose from, because it totally depends on your skin tone and personal tastes! Favorites of mine include NARS Orgasm or MAC Melba. Those are just two of my favorite everyday shades.

eyeshadow (Palette suggestions would be awesome as well)- Again, TOTALLY DEPENDS ON YOUR TASTES! The one thing I will recommend is looking into brands like Kryolan or Ben Nye. They're theatrical grade cosmetic brands, but you get great pigmentation and a ton of product for your money. Otherwise I strongly recommend MAC or Urban Decay eyeshadows. You can build your own pallets at MAC (2,4 or 15 shades) or you can try the Z-Pallet! I have a bunch of these and I buy my Kryolan of Ben Nye shadows in pans, rather than compacts, and pop them into the Z-Pallet! The Urban Decay Naked I and Naked II Pallets are also awesome, and are great for everyday wearable colors.

Eyeliner (I need lots of suggestions for this)- For a gel eyeliner, I recommend MAC Blacktrack fluidline. For pencils, I recommend MAC eye kohls (Smolder is their black) or Make Up For Ever's aqua eyes eyeliners. For liquids, I find that some of the best liquid liners are actually drugstore brands, such as NYC and Almay.

Mascara- I'm obsessed with MAC's Haute n' Naughty mascara. It has a dual-action applicator to achieve different effects. One opening provides long, thick, dramatic lashes, while the other opening squeegees off most of the product and gives you a more subtle, defined lash.

Lip products (balms/lipsticks/stains)- As a makeup artist, I am all about mixing my lip colors. My strongest recommendation would be some of OCC's lip tars or MAC's lipmixes, and a clear gloss. (MAC's clear lipglass is a favorite of mine) The lip tars and lip mixes can be mixed to find your perfect color, and can also be mixed with the lipgloss to make a custom shade of tinted lipgloss. You can even mix the clear lipgloss with pigments or glitters for even more options! As far as conditioners/balms go, favorites of mine include Burt's Bees, EOS, and the MAC lip conditioners. 

Makeup brushes- SIGMA HANDS DOWN! They're basically dupes for MAC brushes, but cost a fraction of the price! Their Performance Eyes kit and Essentials kit are amazing, as are the Sixmax line! Check them out!

Latest posts

Back