New Music--What's everyone listening to?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So, I'm a music junkie. I'm kind of an old music junkie though. I just don't think that a lot of the new stuff being put out can even compare to what music used to be. HOWEVER, there are a lot of bands coming up right now that I really like (seemingly though, most of them have an "old" sound to them). I'm really into fun., Young the Giant, Alabama Shakes, Neon Trees, and Grouplove, to name a few. I wanna know what new stuff everyone else is into right now! Really, not even just new stuff, but what do you listen to in general? I love having good convos about music. I'm into everything, my love of music runs deep and spans many many genres. SO, what's everyone listening to?? :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Right now I have these on a playlist repeat:

The XX, Florence + The Machine, Beach House, Passion Pit, Purity Ring, The Baseballs, Gabriella Cilmi, Of Monsters and Men, Chantal Claret, Karen Elson, Chester French, ZZ Ward, and Marina and the Diamonds.

I agree, I love older music, but I have gotten into some of the "new age" stuff.

Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros, Dr Dog, Mike Snow, Florence & The Machine; to name a few

Glad to see music finally coming back around instead of whatever that mess has been the last 5-10 years.

Totally agree, they last few years have been terrible. I love Edward Sharpe and the Magentic Zeros, and I also think Florence Welch has such an awesome, unique voice. I'm glad to see all the good voices that are popping up now! Singing was starting to become a lost art when auto-tune came around. It's so weird though that a lot of what's new that I actually like sounds like it could have been made 30 or 40 years ago. Like Alabama Shakes. If Jack White had been the singer for the Allman Brothers, that's what they would've sounded like. It makes me happy. Also, on that note, Jack White is a friggin genius! He's definitely one of the most talented artists to come out of the last 10 years. Has anyone seen It Might Get Loud?

Define "new"? I mean, The Supersuckers have been around twenty years, but still release new stuff, are amazing, and are known by very few.

Motochrist are another of my faves.

I like dirty rock n roll.

I am musically "eclectic". My music collection is quite diverse.

I love everything from mellow stuff like Jack Johnson... to 80s glam rock like Poison... to classical like DeBussy's Claire de Lune... to old metal like Motorhead... to country like Toby Keith... to old rock like Black Sabbath... to industrial rock like NIN... to cheesy 70's like the BeeGees. Yup, I'm confuzzled. I think my favorite genre would be good old fashioned rock n roll, both old and new.

I'm talking new as in bands that are just starting out, releasing first or second albums. I could go on and on about bands that are releasing new stuff and have been around for awhile. Honestly, for the last few years it seems that all the new music being released that I like is stuff by bands that have been around for sometime. But there seems to be a lot more new bands coming up that I really like, and I'm looking for more!

Originally Posted by Dalylah /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I love everything from mellow stuff like Jack Johnson... to 80s glam rock like Poison... to classical like DeBussy's Claire de Lune... to old metal like Motorhead... to country like Toby Keith... to old rock like Black Sabbath... to industrial rock like NIN... to cheesy 70's like the BeeGees. Yup, I'm confuzzled. I think my favorite genre would be good old fashioned rock n roll, both old and new.
You sound just like me! I love love love Jack Johnson. I'm a HUGE fan of old music, I can't even begin to list everything I love. Of course, the Beatles and Zeppelin are right at the top. I'm also a sucker for some hair bands! Tesla, I saw Bon Jovi a couple years ago, Motley Crue....Also love the old metal. Lemmy makes me happy :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />. Sabbath is awesome. Most of my favorite bands came from the 90's alternative amazingness. STP, Pearl Jam, Cake, Foo Fighters, Green Day, Blink 182.....oh jeez i could go on and on and on. I love oldies, Otis Redding, Smokey Robinson, The Beach Boys. I also love old country like Johnny Cash and David Allen Coe, and Garth Brooks is freaking awesome. I love cheesy 80's music. I'm confuzzled too (I stole your word, cause it's awesome)! But when it comes down to it, my main love is rock of all sorts. Oh, and I do have a soft spot for old school rap and newer alternative rap like Odd Future and Chiddy Bang. 

I'm also always into discovering old bands that are new to me. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I have heard of the Supersuckers, just never listened to it. I'll have to check it out now!

Originally Posted by JamieO /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm talking new as in bands that are just starting out, releasing first or second albums. I could go on and on about bands that are releasing new stuff and have been around for awhile. Honestly, for the last few years it seems that all the new music being released that I like is stuff by bands that have been around for sometime. But there seems to be a lot more new bands coming up that I really like, and I'm looking for more!

Originally Posted by calexxia /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Define "new"? I mean, The Supersuckers have been around twenty years, but still release new stuff, are amazing, and are known by very few.

Motochrist are another of my faves.

I like dirty rock n roll.

The Supersuckers are the greatest rock and roll band in the world. They'll tell ya so LOL

Originally Posted by Dalylah /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The BeeGees aren't cheesy! Lol...I second you..I grew up listening to everything from "classic" rock like CCR and Black Sabbath - my father would take us on ice cream runs and blast the music in the summer...to classical music(papa again) like Beethoven and everything in between..love motown, soul, punk, modern music (pop to indie/alt). It really depends on the mood I'm in. 

Originally Posted by MissLindaJean /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The BeeGees aren't cheesy! Lol...I second you..I grew up listening to everything from "classic" rock like CCR and Black Sabbath - my father would take us on ice cream runs and blast the music in the summer...to classical music(papa again) like Beethoven and everything in between..love motown, soul, punk, modern music (pop to indie/alt). It really depends on the mood I'm in. 
You should be dancing, YEAH! Haha! Not cheesy at all!! You wanna talk cheesy? I still have a deep rooted love of Hanson....Sometimes the "cheesy" stuff is the stuff that makes you happiest! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Some of my favorite artists are...The Decemberists, Andrew Bird, Blitzen Trapper, The Civil Wars, Ellie Goulding, and Matchbox 20. These guys are amazing. Anyways, the drive to school is either silence or pop music since I don't have a way to play my ipod and the cd player is broken, so I hear a lot of what's 'cool' with pop music. Needless to say, I have a few 'guilty pleasures' that I've been listening to.

-We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together- Taylor Swift

-Give Your Heart A Break- Demi Lovato (this is my new Call Me Maybe)

-Settle Down- No Doubt

-Whistle- Flo Rida

Tesla! They have a song that I put on repeat after my worst break up..and a Diamond Rio one, too..sigh...it's crazy how music can really affect you. Funny, you can hear a song and be incredibly overcome with emotions. I've got Adele, Cee-Lo Green, Kirko Bangz, Rihanna, Nickelback, Maroon 5 and the Civil Wars on repeat status right now lol..odd mix, I know.

Tesla! They have a song that I put on repeat after my worst break up..and a Diamond Rio one, too..sigh...it's crazy how music can really affect you. Funny, you can hear a song and be incredibly overcome with emotions. I've got Adele, Cee-Lo Green, Kirko Bangz, Rihanna, Nickelback, Maroon 5 and the Civil Wars on repeat status right now lol..odd mix, I know.
My kids always give me "that look" when Ceelo comes on from my playlist. I go from boring mom to a pimped out diva in no time flat. He's got so much funk... can't resist it! I think they are just secretly mortified that their mom likes the same music they do. Haha.

Lol..Dalylah, burst your kids' bubbles with some facts about Cee-Lo.. yes, he was part of Goodie Mob, plus he has a love of all things musical and will cite influences from classic Motown to 70's funk and soul to rock n roll bands like the Rolling Stones... He's a musical maestro!! Lol...I'm only 27, but 13 year old kids call me old and look horrified when I talk about things like boy bands of my teen years..lmao.

Originally Posted by ladygrey /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Some of my favorite artists are...The Decemberists, Andrew Bird, Blitzen Trapper, The Civil Wars, Ellie Goulding, and Matchbox 20. These guys are amazing. Anyways, the drive to school is either silence or pop music since I don't have a way to play my ipod and the cd player is broken, so I hear a lot of what's 'cool' with pop music. Needless to say, I have a few 'guilty pleasures' that I've been listening to.

-We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together- Taylor Swift

-Give Your Heart A Break- Demi Lovato (this is my new Call Me Maybe)

-Settle Down- No Doubt

-Whistle- Flo Rida
I LOVE Blitzen Trapper!! Texaco is my fave. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Also, I never realized how much I like Flo-Rida until recently, but dude makes some catchy damn songs!

I don't know how I feel about the new No Doubt. I am a big old school No Doubt fan, I was obsessed with Tragic Kingdom (my boyfriend and I were actually rocking out to Sunday Morning in the car earlier today, haha)....I want to like the new stuff so much, but I think it's going to take some more listens.

Was it Love Song? Because I freaking LOVE that song! You're right though, most of my favorite songs are the ones that have memories attached to them. Love Song is one of them, because it reminds me of my best friend. We used to sing that at the top of our lungs almost every time we were in the car together, which was a lot. 

Lol..Dalylah, burst your kids' bubbles with some facts about Cee-Lo.. yes, he was part of Goodie Mob, plus he has a love of all things musical and will cite influences from classic Motown to 70's funk and soul to rock n roll bands like the Rolling Stones... He's a musical maestro!! Lol...I'm only 27, but 13 year old kids call me old and look horrified when I talk about things like boy bands of my teen years..lmao.
Ha! Oh my goodness, Cee-Lo makes me happy! One of the most ridiculous guilty pleasure songs I have is Dro in the Wind that he did with Trick Daddy. Oh jeez...

Latest posts

Back