Newbie here :)

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello Makeup Talk family!!

My name is VirtuousMiss. I'm actually not new, been a member for some months, but just never got around to posting anything. I figured now is as good a time as any to introduce myself, especially since I have a question
smile.gif

First little background informaton...I'm 24 and have loved everything that has to do with beauty - make up, skincare, hair care, etc since I was a little girl. I guess I have my mother to thank for that as she is a former Mary Kay consultant. In recent years, since I was in college, I've become more and more interested in the beauty industry. I seem to be the go-to girl for makeup advice/application, skincare advice... and I've been thinking, "Hey I'm rather good at this, maybe I should consider making this a career" The thought of becoming a beauty/image consultant has been in my mind for about a year now and I was just wondering how would I go about getting started in this industry? Some have suggested the Mary Kay route, but that's not for me as I don't use or really care for their products (no offense to anyone who is a MK consultant)

Any suggestion would be appreciated!!

Hi and welcome to mut! There are several beauty/makeup companies where you could be a consultant. But, then you are expected to be exclusive to that line. Or you might consider going to school and at least getting some type of certification. Good luck whichever route you choose.

Welcome! Maybe begin with working at a counter. If you want to work with a variety of products, Sephora might be an option if there is one near you. Good luck!

Heya, welcome to MUT, I'm Rebecca
smile.gif

You seem to have a passion for it, so I say go for it
smile.gif

There's Avon, if you would like cosmetic sales. You can ask some of the makeup artists behind the department store counters how they got started. There are franchises like Color Me Beautiful. Look up careersinbeauty.com which represents Iman, Flori Roberts, Adrien Arpel and others.

You can get started right away by researching how to sanitize your tools and products, then practice applying makeup to your friends and relatives. Get photos that are well lit and clear. Now you have the start of a portfolio. This is how Kevin Aucoin started!

Good luck, this is a great career with unlimited potential,

With love,

Ruthie

Latest posts

Back