"No Eyeliner" 1940s Look :)

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I made this video yesterday, and thought someone on here might enjoy it. I tried to recreate the look from the image below, and turns out this is a great vintage-y look without the hassle of an eyeliner! I myself was 'scared' of eyeliner in the past, so I can understand if others are, too - LOL! :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

This was the image I used for inspiration

Image taken from EdelweissPatterns.com, originally from MyVintageVouge.com

Hope you enjoy, and turn on your speakers!! :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Let me know if you have any questions! :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I love it!  You did an amazing job.  I love your style.  This retro look is so fresh and glamorous looking and classic and vintage all at the same time, you've inspired me to try a few new things to get that retro look myself.  Thanks so much for making the tutorial and posting it.

p.s.  I am so jealous of your perfect cupid's bow.  You are beautiful and very talented, I'd love to see more of what you can do.  You definitely rock the retro look!

Georgous!! Thanks for sharing and yes, you have a classic beauty..I love old Hollywood glamour and the sirens from the films. Lol, the photo above is a pretty close resemblance to my grandma as a young bombshell, but she had truly red hair. Love the music, btw..hope you post more!

I second the motion that you should do more tutorials and post them.  You have a natural artistry and are a great teacher.  The music is perfect and you make it look easy yet professional.  Your style is retro most of the time, isn't it?  I'd love to have that style a lot of the time, wearing 40's dresses out grocery shopping and doing my daily routine and such.  A touch of elegance and ladylike poise in the completely different beauty culture of 2012 is awesome.  You're inspiring.  Where do you find your vintage outfits?  I love vintage clothing.  I just feel so put together when I have a complete look from another decade, it's almost like dressing up but so much more than that.  Gorgeous.

Originally Posted by sweetiegirlll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I second the motion that you should do more tutorials and post them.  You have a natural artistry and are a great teacher.  The music is perfect and you make it look easy yet professional.  Your style is retro most of the time, isn't it?  I'd love to have that style a lot of the time, wearing 40's dresses out grocery shopping and doing my daily routine and such.  A touch of elegance and ladylike poise in the completely different beauty culture of 2012 is awesome.  You're inspiring.  Where do you find your vintage outfits?  I love vintage clothing.  I just feel so put together when I have a complete look from another decade, it's almost like dressing up but so much more than that.  Gorgeous.
I do like how people seemed much more "put together" in earlier years. I'm not saying everyone needs to don gloves and heels when running errands, but I'm not really a fan of seeing people wandering around stores in their pjs and house shoes lol.

Originally Posted by MissLindaJean /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I do like how people seemed much more "put together" in earlier years. I'm not saying everyone needs to don gloves and heels when running errands, but I'm not really a fan of seeing people wandering around stores in their pjs and house shoes lol.
I agree! 

hahaha.gif
 peopleofwalmart.com 

Wow you make it loook all so simple
claps.gif
claps.gif
.... ill definatly try this look and ill know how it goes. 

Is your hair naturally curly or you styled it for the whole theme???

First of all, thanks SO much for all your sweet comments. I was completely overwhelmed by your responses! WOW!

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweetiegirlll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

And you, lady, just... I don't even know what to say, other than THANK YOU! I read your thoughtful comments multiple times by now and feel very humbled. To answer your questions: I try to dress vintage as much as I can. I work in a 'young' office, but unfortunately people there didn't respond well to my 'fashion choices' so I usually keep it very toned down (I find 50s style to be very casual and with slim fitting jeans, flats and a peachy/coral lipstick). When I go out though, I really try to keep it 40s - that's my favorite style decade! I usually get my clothing from the thrift store, although I do not own many authentic 40s pieces. Thew few I own only get taken out for very special occasions - I'm terrified of breaking them, and after such a long time there's only so much mending and fixing one can do, you know? I had amazing, cheap finds at the Salvation Army or Savers in the "80s does 40s" department - on one trip I found 5(!) dresses for, combined, maybe around $20. They are a bit too large for me, but still wearable and I'm planning on bringing them to a tailor soon. The 80s had a ginormous Homefront revival so it's not as hard finding those pieces for cheap! But I also go to the mall to look for vintage-y silhouettes. The shirt I'm wearing in the video (black, puffy sleeves) I got at Forever21 for $7.80! It has a u-cleavage that's a bit too deep for an authentic 1940s look IMO, so I just cut out the label and wear the back as the front :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Just an example of how you can make 'new' stuff work for you!

And I agree, I feel so much better about myself and it gives me such confidence! I was always into vintage-y looks (I was really into Rockabilly when I was around 15-16) but then it kind of faded away. I had kind of a rough patch in my life where I let myself go completely and just dressed very blant, and then later on tried hard to fit into 'modern fashion' (fashion blogger look? I'm sure you know what I mean) but at one point I just realized that's not for me at all. I didn't feel good about myself, I HATE mismatched accessories/colors, I LOVE matching my shoes to my bag and necklace.. can't help it! Hahaha. Don't get me wrong, I'm not judging anyone and if people like wearing purple, yellow and acid green together.. more power to them! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

And I'm sooooo glad you like the music! The Gaslight Anthem/Brian Fallon is my favorite contemporary artist, I couldn't live without his music.

Originally Posted by GlitzGlam /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Wow you make it loook all so simple
claps.gif
claps.gif
.... ill definatly try this look and ill know how it goes. 

Is your hair naturally curly or you styled it for the whole theme???
Thank you so much hun! Let me know how it goes for sure, I'd love to see your spin on it! And my hair is far from curly actually, lol! It's pin-straight. In that video, I did a wet set with Conair foam rollers the night before. I used the green curlers in the back (medium size), yellow on  the sides (small) and a few blue ones (tiny) in the front. Then I just brushed it out a bit, let it sit for 20 mins (doing other stuff) and brushed it a bit more. I wish I had time to do this every night! For a regular work day I usually use hot rollers (Conair Hot Sticks). :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Latest posts

Back