November 2013 -- No/Low Buy Thread

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quote: Originally Posted by tulosai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Argh I REALLY WANT the Julep Mystery box :/ Somebody tell me not to!!!!
dont do it! you dont have enough fingers or toes for all the nail polish you own now.

Quote: Originally Posted by usofjessamerica /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Quote: Originally Posted by tulosai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Argh I REALLY WANT the Julep Mystery box :/ Somebody tell me not to!!!!
dont do it! you dont have enough fingers or toes for all the nail polish you own now.

I have to agree. The theme is right up my alley but I deleted the email.

So I didn't buy ANYTHING from Sephora's VIB 20% off sale! Wooohoo! Almost did but there wasn't anything I was dying to have. I had previously bought the Tarte blush set with the blitz code and I also used a $10 gift card so it wasn't so bad.

Quote: Originally Posted by Sheeeeeelby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  So I didn't buy ANYTHING from Sephora's VIB 20% off sale! Wooohoo! Almost did but there wasn't anything I was dying to have. I had previously bought the Tarte blush set with the blitz code and I also used a $10 gift card so it wasn't so bad.
Great job!  I avoided it too (somehow!)

Stay Strong!  
goldcup.gif

Quote: Originally Posted by donutbaby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Great job!  I avoided it too (somehow!)

Stay Strong!  
goldcup.gif

Congrats guys!  I avoided it too!

I have a $25 giftcard for sephora from my birthday (July 4th) and I have been saving it for hopefully some good stuff on black friday :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  Don't let me down Sephora!!

Quote: Originally Posted by BeautyLoverIT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Congrats guys!  I avoided it too!

I have a $25 giftcard for sephora from my birthday (July 4th) and I have been saving it for hopefully some good stuff on black friday :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  Don't let me down Sephora!!
I also miraculously avoided but I am still dying over the Julep mystery box :/ I logged in and put it and an add on in my cart, then in a rush of sanity clicked out of the window before I could check out.  Going to sleep before I can change my mind!

Ok I've been a teeny tiny bit bad.  I did re-sub to an indie polish company's sub box but it was only $14.  Then I bought a few Julie G holiday polishes but I might gift those. Then I also bought a few Target clearance finds (Pacifica lotion wipes and Loreal's Le Matte and La Lacque lippies). 

Quote: Originally Posted by missionista /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Keep being tempted but staying strong so far...

Same here - all of the pre-holiday sales are so tempting. I keep telling myself "I don't need it". Which is true, I have plenty of stuff - not "out" of anything. And, I am enjoying watching my stash get a little smaller. You should join us on The Monday Club thread. Trying out a different product from my stash every week feels like I have something "new". Plus, I'm finding new faves and getting rid of the products that don't work for me.

Quote: Originally Posted by page5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Same here - all of the pre-holiday sales are so tempting. I keep telling myself "I don't need it". Which is true, I have plenty of stuff - not "out" of anything. And, I am enjoying watching my stash get a little smaller. You should join us on The Monday Club thread. Trying out a different product from my stash every week feels like I have something "new". Plus, I'm finding new faves and getting rid of the products that don't work for me.

I've been unofficially doing the Monday Club thing on my own--I reorganized my stash, and am trying to use something that doesn't get much love once a week.  I am also trying to use up this one lipstick that I've had forever; I'm SOOOOO close.  I keep wearing it and wearing it, and it's just a tiny little nub by now, but it won't die.  Anyway, I am neglecting my other lip stuff in order to finish this, but my eye stuff is getting a workout.

In other news, I thought I was all out of shampoo, but I've just found some more hiding out way in the back of the closet.  Also found some more soap/body wash.  I was planning to allow myself to buy shampoo right about now, but it looks like I'm good til mid December.  I was planning to allow myself to buy soap after Christmas (sales!) but now it looks like I won't need any til February or March.  I may finally be coming to the end of my stash of hand lotion.  Looks like that will run out mid-December, so I can buy some in the sales.

Forgot to mention--I cancelled my yearly BB subscription today!  That will cut down on the spending and the number of samples to go through.  When I get a job, I might re-sub though.

oh dear! I went OFF. THE. RAILS. I kinda forgot that I was low buying. 

I saw a deal at an awesome local beauty boutique for 50% off all waxing -- so I got some personal grooming done. 50% was an awesome deal but of course, you gotta tip well for *ahem* intimate services... So it still ended up being a lot of money. I justified it as "I got 100% on a big exam that most people didnt do too well on and I deserve to be pampered, or something". THEN this place had a $5 bin of Laura Mercier products that were being discontinued. I spent $20 on 2 eye brow pencils and 2 lip sticks that were kinda too light. I ended up melting them down, adding a few drops of OCC Black Dahlia Lip Tar and now its perfect. I went to Sephora to return a bunch of stuff so that was good.

THEEEN in a fit of Saturday Night Boringness, I added up my total expenses over September, October, and through this first half of November. I really have to make A LOT of changes. I think I'm going to have to put myself on a for realsies no buy, stick to a budget for Christmas shopping (which is actually almost done), and I really have to not eat out as much. I knew my boyfriend and I went out often, but I mean...seeing it all added up is ridiculous. Wooowhee...This is VERY stressful! Keep your fingers crossed that my grad program decides to throw s'more money at me for next semester!

I knew my boyfriend and I went out often, but I mean...seeing it all added up is ridiculous. Wooowhee...This is VERY stressful! Keep your fingers crossed that my grad program decides to throw s'more money at me for next semester!
Yeah, I stopped eating out on October 30 or so and the amount of money in my bank account relative to usual is ridiculous.  I knew I ate out for lunch a lot at work, but like you said, seeing it in this way is a huge reality check for me.  

I'm going to start meal prepping. It'll help with budget and weightloss goals! Yeah - just thinking about the $$ I should've not spent eating out is killing me! We usually do have food at home OR if we don't have food at home we end up eating out until we go on a grocery run which makes zero sense.

Yeah, I stopped eating out on October 30 or so and the amount of money in my bank account relative to usual is ridiculous.  I knew I ate out for lunch a lot at work, but like you said, seeing it in this way is a huge reality check for me.  

oh dear! I went OFF. THE. RAILS. I kinda forgot that I was low buying. 

I saw a deal at an awesome local beauty boutique for 50% off all waxing -- so I got some personal grooming done. 50% was an awesome deal but of course, you gotta tip well for *ahem* intimate services... So it still ended up being a lot of money. I justified it as "I got 100% on a big exam that most people didnt do too well on and I deserve to be pampered, or something". THEN this place had a $5 bin of Laura Mercier products that were being discontinued. I spent $20 on 2 eye brow pencils and 2 lip sticks that were kinda too light. I ended up melting them down, adding a few drops of OCC Black Dahlia Lip Tar and now its perfect. I went to Sephora to return a bunch of stuff so that was good.

THEEEN in a fit of Saturday Night Boringness, I added up my total expenses over September, October, and through this first half of November. I really have to make A LOT of changes. I think I'm going to have to put myself on a for realsies no buy, stick to a budget for Christmas shopping (which is actually almost done), and I really have to not eat out as much. I knew my boyfriend and I went out often, but I mean...seeing it all added up is ridiculous. Wooowhee...This is VERY stressful! Keep your fingers crossed that my grad program decides to throw s'more money at me for next semester!

Awesome! Great job on your exam! =D

Quote: Originally Posted by TheaC /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I have two papers due this week an instead of working on them... I've been watching television. To be fair, it started of as folding clothes while watching television then it turned to organizing makeup while watching television. That, and I have been eying some things as sephora and organizing always makes me realize how much stuff I have already.

I ended up with this:

I used cereal boxes and popcorn boxes as dividers. I cut them up and wrap them in gift wrap. If there's anything I learn while doing this, I have way too many blush and eyeshadow

That is so cute, love the box re-purpose! 

I don't know how, but I managed to not buy ANYTHING from Sephora this month, despite the endless sample bag/gifts and the 20% off.  It did help that my sub boxes came this month.  But I haven't bought anything extra/new beyond those! 

I'm going to start meal prepping. It'll help with budget and weightloss goals! Yeah - just thinking about the $$ I should've not spent eating out is killing me! We usually do have food at home OR if we don't have food at home we end up eating out until we go on a grocery run which makes zero sense.
You should check out emeals!! I use it every week!! Sends you seven recipes and a "grocery list". Usually only 5-7 ingredients and cooks in under 30 min. My house picks three for the week and we have left overs for lunch!! Saw it on groupon for half off the other day. I've had it for two years and would be lost without it

umm... I'm contemplating on changing the rules of my project 75 pan.

It's almost my one year anniversary since I bought anything and I realized that I don't have a good SPF free foundation for the Holidays. This year I'm flying to New York for New Years and it's definitely going to be photos galore.

I also want to take advantage of Em's starter kit deal before they stop offering it.

My rules were that I could buy 5 new products after I finish 25 but I only finished 15 so far (though I have a bag of stuff that I need to toss/give away that might count). It's been a year already and there's so many new products were released since then.

It would also be a shame to fly all the way across the country without visiting at least one makeup boutiques there..

Back