Now that the elections over....

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
we had an election party! LOL. we bough american food- donuts, doritos, hamburgers, oreos, californian wine.. hahah

it didn't come through till 4 am here, we were all pretty tired and kinda drunk. and then i can't remember which states called it over but as soon as they did we all screamed and jumped around lol and some people on the street outside were singing.

its not just the us!! people everywhere are celebrating this, it is such a breakthrough. but as you're are pointing out, it's up to americans to knuckle down and help him create the change we're all talking about. Andi's point about america behaving badly i would 100% agree with. but it's not irreversable, let's hope obama starts with sorting out iraq as promised and gets both our countries troops back home soon.

I am really glad that people that dont live in the US were able to chime in on this thread to give us Americans a little bit of a reality check..thanks guys!!

Quote:
Think of it as a parent whose child behaves badly, - always in and out of trouble. The child is a bully, and doesn't like to play fair. Would you praise that child? Would you be a proud parent? Or would you wonder what's wrong with the child? Quote:
Not really....because our leader represents this country, and poor leadership leads to poor feelings about this country.
I think about it like this in fat girl terms...if I go to Wendy's and the prices are high and the service is poor and the manager didnt care..I wouldnt think of going back and I would be ashamed until leadership changed. I cant leave this country, but I can be ashamed until leadership changes, cause that is one good thing about America, leadership can change.

And its not necessarily about Obama...he could very well do what Bush did and I will be ashamed again...but for the moment, I am proud <3

Well we're obviously going to have to agree to disagree on this one.
Has America done some bad things in the past? Of course it has. Is America perfect? Not by any means. But it is still a great country with great citizens. Being proud of one's country and being patriotic does not in any way mean blindly accepting everything that those in power do.

For those of us saying that politicians promise a bunch of stuff, then get in office and don't honor them. I ask whose fault is that? So what, we elect them and then leave the affairs of our nation up to them. Wash our hands after election day and grumble when what we want doesn't get done? Bah!

This is where you excercise your true democratic right and go to your representative. Petition, write letters. Write in the newspapers. BROADCAST the farce. Stop being silent. The gov't serves us. I know we were led to believe that they're sovereign, but no. We put them there. We get to criticize them. We get a say!

Since I put Obama there, I'm sure to stick on his @$$. He used the youth to get him there. He has to honor his promise to us. And I'll be sure to remind him of it....

Originally Posted by Jinx /img/forum/go_quote.gif This country has behaved shamefully in the past 8 years (actually for along time before that, but it came to a critical head these past 8 years).The politics and greed towards other countries and ourselves has been nothing to be proud of.

The rest of the world calls us Ugly Americans for a reason.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...rmaid/logo.jpg

The arrogance, the greed, the lack of social concern has been disraceful.

I have heard too many people say, "I don't care what the rest of the world thinks" and that's exactly the nasty attitude that earned us that rep.

WE NEED to think globally and how we are received but this country has got so conceited that we have got out of touch and our schools reflect that, our medical system reflects that, our ECONOMY reflects it.

We need to get off the high horse and join the rest of the world.

I think this new president can get us started and on the road.

satisfied.gif

Originally Posted by reesesilverstar /img/forum/go_quote.gif For those of us saying that politicians promise a bunch of stuff, then get in office and don't honor them. I ask whose fault is that? So what, we elect them and then leave the affairs of our nation up to them. Wash our hands after election day and grumble when what we want doesn't get done? Bah!
This is where you excercise your true democratic right and go to your representative. Petition, write letters. Write in the newspapers. BROADCAST the farce. Stop being silent. The gov't serves us. I know we were led to believe that they're sovereign, but no. We put them there. We get to criticize them. We get a say!

Since I put Obama there, I'm sure to stick on his @$$. He used the youth to get him there. He has to honor his promise to us. And I'll be sure to remind him of it....

I agree. We elected a very democratic president, so we should be democratic citizens. We want to be able to make all of our own choices, and we want to whine about the condition of the country, and we are the country. If everyone did there part in making this country what it could be, the results would be incredible.

And I'm also very sad to know that prop8 was passed as well. With everything else going on in the world it just seems so silly. Even if you don't believe in gay marriage, which is whatever your allowed to have your own beliefs and live your life the way you want so shouldn't people who have different beliefs have that right too, but even if you don't like it you should be picking your battles right now. Go out and fight for something that directly affects you and the rest of the country. Kinda like Anderson Cooper said on Ellen the other day, who cares if gay people have the right to have bar-b-qs and argue about money, shouldn't everyone have that right?? lol

i was excited! i remember i was watching tv at a friend's when they announced it..i'm happy he won the election, it truly was a historical moment and i'm glad that i'm living in this generation right now where there is so much change & revolution.

like some of the others said, i hope he does well for our country!! and hopefully he can help straighten out our economy.

Back