October 2014 No/Low Buy: Hugs, Commiseration, and Confessional

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Confession: I fell off the wagon. I bought two items from the shu uemera and Karl lagerfeld collection-I'm a sucker for anything with cats. I did also order the memebox collaboration boxes...Friday was payday :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> however, I haven't ordered any new memeboxes in about 2-3 weeks, so that's great. I did also stop myself from buying the vice 3 palette and some occ lip tars-I was convinced I needed them. I ended up trying a few different colors of the lip tars and just couldn't find a color, so it was a sign :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I doing well!!!! I spent $11, but other than that I haven't bought anything for myself!! Go me!

Okay first the good stuff......so I am staying OFF of sephora and ulta. Not even looking at holiday stuff. Not even

MAC....
sniff sniff. Have not purchased one single drugstore beauty item.

and now for another confession.

I signed up for wantable makeup boxes. I know! Not good for someone on a no buy. But I just couldn't help myself. I need that sub box!

I think the only purchase I see in the near future is my Deva curl hair gel which i go through crazy fast. I think I can make it a couple more weeks though, maybe 3.

Last edited by a moderator:
I opened my sample drawer today so I could toss in a few things that were on the counter and it was full. Completely  full and very heavy. I'm taking it as a sign that I need to cancel Birchbox (I've only been resubbed for 2 months, but clearly I don't need samples and I haven't been blown away either month) and focus on using up stuff in that drawer next month.

Confession: I fell off the wagon. I bought two items from the shu uemera and Karl lagerfeld collection-I'm a sucker for anything with cats. I did also order the memebox collaboration boxes...Friday was payday :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> however, I haven't ordered any new memeboxes in about 2-3 weeks, so that's great. I did also stop myself from buying the vice 3 palette and some occ lip tars-I was convinced I needed them. I ended up trying a few different colors of the lip tars and just couldn't find a color, so it was a sign :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
You did good with the Vice 3 and OCC lip tars. I hope you don't feel too bad about falling off the wagon with the other stuff.

I doing well!!!! I spent $11, but other than that I haven't bought anything for myself!! Go me!
That's awesome!!!

Okay first the good stuff......so I am staying OFF of sephora and ulta. Not even looking at holiday stuff. Not even

MAC....
sniff sniff. Have not purchased one single drugstore beauty item.

and now for another confession.

I signed up for wantable makeup boxes. I know! Not good for someone on a no buy. But I just couldn't help myself. I need that sub box!

I think the only purchase I see in the near future is my Deva curl hair gel which i go through crazy fast. I think I can make it a couple more weeks though, maybe 3.
Good for you for staying away from those sites! I think it's one of the main ways to succeed in a no-buy. Of course, I haven't been that strong.

I opened my sample drawer today so I could toss in a few things that were on the counter and it was full. Completely  full and very heavy. I'm taking it as a sign that I need to cancel Birchbox (I've only been resubbed for 2 months, but clearly I don't need samples and I haven't been blown away either month) and focus on using up stuff in that drawer next month.
Wow, that sounds like my plastic tote of samples- it's full too and I had a hard time putting in my new samples.

In other news, I didn't do so well. I bought

the Lorac Mega PRO palette
. But I'm glad I didn't wait because it's the only LE Holiday item I wanted, and I was terrified it would sell out- and did several times. But I snagged it and I'm not giving myself too much grief over it.

n other news, I didn't do so well. I bought

the Lorac Mega PRO palette
. But I'm glad I didn't wait because it's the only LE Holiday item I wanted, and I was terrified it would sell out- and did several times. But I snagged it and I'm not giving myself too much grief over it.

I'm glad you ended up getting one that you will hopefully adore. And maybe you will be so incredibly happy with it that other holiday lemmings will be killed? Ah congrats on snagging it but in a very non-enabler no-buy enforcing kind of way: it looks super beautiful and I'm excited you're so excited about it.

I am still chugging away using up what I can. I just keep thinking about moving at the end of summer and how much make up I was carrying around with me. I want some of that gone before I move again. The physical burden of having so much stuff is making it so easy to say no right now.

I have been on makeup / skincare no-buy, and have used up several skincare/bodycare stuff. I was planning for

sephora vib sale
, and got obsessed with a 

NARS audacious lipstick, and ended up hunting it down and buying it on Barneys
, well... I have never bought any lipstick that expensive, but I am super excited about it. I feel a bit guilty, but I am giving myself a reward today. [/font][/color]

How are you guys doing? I am reading your posts = )

I finally got around to putting away all of my purchases from the last couple of weeks and I officially have no more room! I've decided to see how long I can go without buying any beauty related items. Holiday gifts for others and my existing subscription boxes don't count. I feel very motivated about this right now so I'll see how it goes.

Guys I was so excited yesterday when I saw that I am almost done with my giant bottle of cetaphil and hit bottom on a BBW body butter, only to find out I have ANOTHER giant bottle of cetaphil and 4 more body butters waiting. and after those are done I have a back up bottle of cleanser and 2 large, unscented bottles of bioderma body lotion. I am not allowed to buy ANYTHING for the rest of this year and all of 2015. As this year has gone on and I am finishing things, then forced to look at what I already have for replacements instead of going and buying more stuff, it becomes more and more evident that I have way too much. 

Surprisingly the only thing I might need to repurchase is conditioner which I blow through quickly due to unruly curls that need lots of TLC and detangling. Other than that, literally nothing will be purchased. 

I may have fallen off the bandwagon and bought the three-pack of past Glossyboxes on Friday. I need to do better, I can do this!

I just canceled my Birchbox and I've gotta say - I probably won't miss it. More junk that I didn't need and often found that I didn't like just piling up has a tendency to make one feel worse instead of better. I think for me, it was that feeling of getting a little surprise in the mail that I liked so much instead of getting the actual products. 

Very happy that I'm still doing well this month!

Haven't bought any makeup, still holding out for an indie collection coming out later this month.  

Still, the Christmas pretties, they are calling me!
Stay away from those christmas pretties! If I can do it, you can do it! And if you can do it, I can do it! Because we are all in this together and stuff.

Congrats on the continued no buy, way to go!

I was bad. I confess. I was buying Christmas stuff on Sephora, getting it done so I could claim my 150 points before the code expired, and I wound up buying:

the Pulp Fiction Palette. Oh man. But... at least it was only $16.

I'll have to tell Mom her Snow Angel body wash was my downfall. :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 

Go you! I plan on using what I won't use as part of upcoming SS gifts, so it's not a total loss. And it appeases my Glossybox fix so I don't resub to that.
I'm right there with you.  I fell off the wagon because of Glossybox too.  I got one box.  I just have to be good for the rest of the month and keep going with my budget.  I have already spent all my October money so I can't spend another dime this month!

Guys I was so excited yesterday when I saw that I am almost done with my giant bottle of cetaphil and hit bottom on a BBW body butter, only to find out I have ANOTHER giant bottle of cetaphil and 4 more body butters waiting. and after those are done I have a back up bottle of cleanser and 2 large, unscented bottles of bioderma body lotion. I am not allowed to buy ANYTHING for the rest of this year and all of 2015. As this year has gone on and I am finishing things, then forced to look at what I already have for replacements instead of going and buying more stuff, it becomes more and more evident that I have way too much. 

Surprisingly the only thing I might need to repurchase is conditioner which I blow through quickly due to unruly curls that need lots of TLC and detangling. Other than that, literally nothing will be purchased. 
I'm proud of you for finishing up items. I'm sorry you feel so bad about having so many back-ups, but your attitude is going strong! I know you can do it- just think of it this way- you are stocked up and instead of spending more money, you just get to coast on what you've got. You can save money now that you have what you need. It will be hard because you're used to aquiring, but maybe you can turn your energy to something else? I hope you can! That's my goal anyway, we'll see if I can do it!

I finally got around to putting away all of my purchases from the last couple of weeks and I officially have no more room! I've decided to see how long I can go without buying any beauty related items. Holiday gifts for others and my existing subscription boxes don't count. I feel very motivated about this right now so I'll see how it goes.
Ooh, I think I'm approaching that whole 'no more room' issue too! I guess it's the best way to help me stop buying, hahah!

I have been on makeup / skincare no-buy, and have used up several skincare/bodycare stuff. I was planning for

sephora vib sale
, and got obsessed with a 

NARS audacious lipstick, and ended up hunting it down and buying it on Barneys
, well... I have never bought any lipstick that expensive, but I am super excited about it. I feel a bit guilty, but I am giving myself a reward today. [/font][/color]

How are you guys doing? I am reading your posts = )
Hey I'm glad you don't feel too guilty. I hope that you love and use that lipstick all the time!

I'm glad you ended up getting one that you will hopefully adore. And maybe you will be so incredibly happy with it that other holiday lemmings will be killed? Ah congrats on snagging it but in a very non-enabler no-buy enforcing kind of way: it looks super beautiful and I'm excited you're so excited about it.

I am still chugging away using up what I can. I just keep thinking about moving at the end of summer and how much make up I was carrying around with me. I want some of that gone before I move again. The physical burden of having so much stuff is making it so easy to say no right now.
Hey, thanks! I think you're right- I don't really care that much for the other holiday sets now!

You go girl, keep using that stuff up!

I just canceled my Birchbox and I've gotta say - I probably won't miss it. More junk that I didn't need and often found that I didn't like just piling up has a tendency to make one feel worse instead of better. I think for me, it was that feeling of getting a little surprise in the mail that I liked so much instead of getting the actual products. 
Good for you! I cancelled my ipsy a while back and haven't missed it at all. Even though it was only $10 a month, that's $10 I could spend on stuff I actually want, not just random stuff that comes my way, which I'll only really like 1/5 of anyway. The other 4/5 of stuff usually ends up being just meh.

I haven't posted in one of these threads in awhile... but I think it's time that I get back into it. I have been purchasing quite a lot lately, but I need to stop. I am in college and tend to move yearly, so having this much makeup is giving me anxiety. Makeup is pretty hard to transport and keep intact, so it feels like a burden. I just love all the pretties...  :wub:

I made two Sephora orders recently (my first online Sephora orders ever! I don't shop there much), and got a few things that I had been wanting. 

I got the Hourglass Ambient Lighting palette, Hourglass Ambient Lighting blush palette, Pulp Fiction palette, Vice 3 palette, UD Full Frontal lipstick stash, and a Sephora brand undereye roller.
Ugh... looking at it all together makes me feel like it's too much. I just need to do better in the future. I don't need anything else makeup-wise, and I am not tempted by any other holiday items. I just need to keep using stuff up and organizing! More than my makeup, I want to use up my hoard of sample size skincare/haircare.

As frustrating as it may be, it will be your reminder for a long time to come that you don't need more than one backup for body stuff! I love your attitude, going strong and don't get upset- that's all you need! I ended up with seven body shop soaps at the end of this summer, I opened two and alternated between them till I used them up and moved on to next two, and I am currently on my last body shop soap, alternating with the body wash I got in August PSMH box. And then I have one Dove soap unopened, but when I start using that one, I will go out and buy one-- And the best thing is that I did not buy any bodycare except a body moisturizer cuz I need one anytime, and I wasn't overwhelmed.

Just think how proud you will feel of yourself when you get through them!

Back