Okay, help a girl out here... Please?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by CandyApple /img/forum/go_quote.gif I say use an Epilator as well, when I switched from shaving my legs to epilating them...Big difference, you don't have to do it everyday, it removes the hair from the root leaves your legs silky smooth, and you get used to the pain, it is well worth using it than shaving, trust me!! i bought an epilator, but i've been too afraid to use it. i'm scared of the pain and it doesn't help that it makes this loud scary noise. so i have this $70 epilator sitting on my desk! just wondering, how bad is the pain from 1-10?

I have never used veet but I can tell you that nair is terrible. Not only does it smell terrible but it really burnt my legs. I had blood coming out of every single pore in my legs after I used it and then the scabs that came along when the blood dried. It was a horrid experience. The best thing that I have found is waxing. I only have to do it once every 3weeks or a month. That is great since shaving would only last me a day or less.

I use Nair Shower Power and I really like it. My hair is very coarse and grows like crazy. Since your hair is also coarse I would recommend putting a nice thick layer on and leaving it on for a little longer than it says. That's what I do. And then test a small area like down by your ankle to see if all of it will rub off. My legs are usually nice and smooth for like 2-2.5 days when I use it. Which is AMAZING for me because when I shave my stubble like IMMEDIATELY grows out! Well, it might be worth a try? I hope that helps.
heart.gif

I bought an epilator, but it didn't work... I need to try again because I'm thinking there's a few reasons why it might not have worked for me.

I've tried several different types of hair removal creams - none have been effective. I think the Veet worked the best for me, but my mother is a fan of Nair. I think you have to just try different things and see what works for you.

Be sure to test a small section before you do your whole legs. I've been stuck with red painful patches on my face and legs before! And a quarter size test isn't going to work. I don't know why - but the quarter size test patch always works perfectly on me, but when I slather the stuff on everywhere, it starts to burn.

I suggest, start with a quarter size test, then move on to a patch the size of a dollar bill. You may also want to try doing your body in shifts - like do the bottom half of you legs one day, the top half another, then bikini zone, ect. - Not everyone may need this kind of care, but if you have sensitive skin like me, these extreme measures are necessary.

I also found that the hair in different areas of my body needed more or less time depending on the skin/hair type. Like the hair on my upper thighs took more time to be removed than the hair on my lower legs.

I am so horribly allergic to both Nair and Veet. With both products I felt like I had 3rd degree burns on my legs and was in so much pain I almost went to the emergency room. And I only left both on for about 2 minutes.

I've stuck with shaving. Epilating doesn't do crap and neither does waxing on me so razors it is. LOL

I am a huge fan of the epilator. I have the Braun Silk Epil and it is great. I use it without the guard. It works better that way.

I tried shaving, and I have stubble before dinner. I tried hair removal creams, and they don't get all the hair.

i have tried nair sensi skin formula and left it on 10 - 15 mins and really it left major patches of hair, my hair is dark, thick, coarse and seriously grows back within 2 hours no lie no jokes.. ugh... i can do pain ... maybe i should check out an epi watever! good thread aquilah

Originally Posted by Aquilah /img/forum/go_quote.gif I bought an epilator, but it didn't work... I need to try again because I'm thinking there's a few reasons why it might not have worked for me. Is it working any better for you now Aquilah? I'd love to have a solution to the coarse black hair on my bod. I hate shaving and when I use veet I have to leave it on longer than what it recommends and even then it's hit or miss. In the past nair has done absolutely nothing for me.

Veet Razera gave me incredibly glass-smooth legs the softness I have never felt before or since.

HOWEVER

It also made my skin itch so bad it was down deep under th surface, like I would have to scratch until I bled to get to the itch and then there is the actual burns that I still have scars from (used it 2 years ago)- and this was only leaving it on the 6 minute recommended time even though my hair is thick coarse nd black.

After all that garbage, the hair was growing back withini the week.

Now, for all that discomfort, the hair should stay gone for a couple weeks but noooooooo, it was growing back in a couple days.

Plus, for 5-7 dollars, I better get a lot better results and should get enough to last for a few applications, but the best I got was 2.5 apps.

pedro.gif

But yeah, all the burning, itching and regrowth aside, the skin was the smoothest I've ever seen, lol!

I just do the waxing..it does hurt but it does the job and using the oil for after waxing nourishing the dry areas and stuff..so it works and lasts alot longer
smile.gif

This is a great thread. I usually stick to shaving but the upkeep in the summer especially is so horrible. I tried Nair a long long time ago and do not remember much, but I don't think it worked well, as I never used it again, and it smelled strong.

I would love to try waxing my legs especially if legs stay smooth longer than shaving. Id prefer to do it myself at home, anybody got any good suggestions for wax that works well on the legs?

I have made a geat discovery! My husband has really sensitive skin, & is SUPER hairy. Like the hairiest guy I have ever seen, lol. He got some Nair for Men a week or so ago and I put it on him. We both loved it! The smell was not bad, pretty much nonexistent, it didn't burn him at all, and it did an amazing job at removing his coarse back hair.

Originally Posted by Aquilah /img/forum/go_quote.gif Okay, epilators look painful LOL! You'll have to enlighten me and share with me all about Epilady! epilators are painfull when you use them at the first time. I have my epilator for about 3 years now...and I can't live without.
smile.gif
much easier, no cleaning wax or anything...very easy to use. and you can always take it along when you're travelling.
smile.gif

the hair stays (depending on the person) for about 3 weeks away and the hair that grows back isn't as hard and stiff as before.
smile.gif

if you are really afraid of the pain some epilators have a gel cusson that you put in your freezer so it gets cold and then you put it on your leg so you can feel the pain less.

this is the one I have:

Silk-épil SoftPerfection - Epilation - Braun

okay..

nair and veet and all that cream hair removal are only good if you have NEVER shaved or waxed before..

pretty much its only good for girls just starting the want to get rid of the hairs on there legs.

now what you really want to do is wax your legs.

i know that it hurts the first time, espally if you have shaved in the past and now have coarse black thick hairs.

but trust me in the long run its so much better for you.

if you dont have the money to get your legs professionally waxed

(which i really do recommend you doing)

then their are strips that you can by in drugstores that have the wax already on the strip for you..

all you have to do is peal the plastic off, stick it on your leg and then rip it off..

also a trick, if your going to do it yourself.

make sure that you put the wax on the way that your hair grows (but LIGHTLY)

and then your want to rub it in the opposite direction

it will give you a nice clean spot

smile.gif

and if your going out somewhere and you need to wax,

make sure that you do it the day before

because waxing gives you red bump which most people think that its an allergic reaction

but it is very natural to get this.

and when your done waxing

MOSTURIZE!!!

its soooo important..

if you are pale i would suggest that you use one of those touch of sun creams

cause your pores will be open then and the cream will have a longer effect..

hope that i helped

smile.gif

ps.. sorry about some of my spelling

Back