Opinions on mineral makeup? (Bare Escentuals)

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BE was the first mineral makeup company I used way back in the day when it first came out. My mom and I both have sensitive skin and when BE came out it seemed like there was finally a solution for people that wanted to wear makeup but couldn't use traditional formulas due to acne and skin sensitivities.

I used BE and loved the coverage results but hated the itchy feeling it gave my skin. It was immediately shelved. Then one day I got curious and started searching about my allergic reaction to BE and found out that it was an ingredient they used (bismuth) and that there were other companies without bismuth in them.

It's been love ever since.

So in short, I love mmu but am not a fan of BE.

I never used such kind of products as I have an oily skin(with pimple), always used the home products for my face. Is there one for me?

Well, it works differently for everyone. For example, it made my face itch like crazy so I has to nix it. However, my friend loves it! You'll never know unless you try it.

I totally agree. Different brands react differently for everyone. After much searching on the message boards here, I ordered samples of Earthen Glow Minerals. Cover Me is the best thing I've ever tried. Constance is my perfect match and I love the way the apricot corrector covers my under eye circles, but doesn't leave a "white" cast to my face. While at the end of the day, I'm still shiny (even after purchasing their mattifying moisturizer and both of the oil control primers). I have decided that I may need to change my skincare routine.

I thought about ordering samples of Everyday Minerals, but I really love the coverage that Cover Me gives and l've never had a foundation match my skin like Constance does.

You might want to start with the BE starter kit which I think is around $60.

I too had to test different brands until I found a mineral foundation that worked for me. If you don't get a good application and it isn't right for your skin, you can definitely get the dry look that people commented about. I now use Laura Mercier's powder foundation and really like it.

Originally Posted by TammyH /img/forum/go_quote.gif I totally agree. Different brands react differently for everyone. After much searching on the message boards here, I ordered samples of Earthen Glow Minerals. Cover Me is the best thing I've ever tried. Constance is my perfect match and I love the way the apricot corrector covers my under eye circles, but doesn't leave a "white" cast to my face. While at the end of the day, I'm still shiny (even after purchasing their mattifying moisturizer and both of the oil control primers). I have decided that I may need to change my skincare routine.
I thought about ordering samples of Everyday Minerals, but I really love the coverage that Cover Me gives and l've never had a foundation match my skin like Constance does.

You might want to start with the BE starter kit which I think is around $60.

Everyday Minerals was probably the best one I've tried (other than the one I make myself). You really should check out their samples. I use Monistat anti-chafing gel as a primer, it really cuts the oiliness even after 8-9hrs at work. The prices are also reasonable. I think $60 to find that it sucks is a bit too much of an investment for me.
BE contains bismuth which is an irritant for some (makes you itchy).

I just ordered samples of Silk Naturals. I sent a picture of myself with no makeup and immediately got a response from someone who told me how I would need to mix my foundation. I am really excited about it. I have loved using Cover Me, but I'm just not getting the natural look that I want. I know my match is out there somewhere.

When I get my SN samples in, I will post my results.

BE made my face look ashy. Even when I went darker it just never looked quite right. It also itched like crazy in the summer. My was it uncomfortable. There are so many better looking foundations to choose from I'd suggest

1)EGM (Earthen Glow Minerals)-site is down but email for a free kit.

2)Barefaced Minerals

3)Monave

I have to thank BE for getting me into MMU to begin with. Unfortunately, it didn't work at all for me. It was a bit difficult for me to find a color match and even the lightest shade was a little too dark. I didn't get much coverage from it either, and I don't need a whole lot. I don't have any major skin issues, basically just a bit of uneven tone. It made me look like a disco ball. People say that Revlon's PhotoReady foundation makes them look like Edward Cullen... Well, that's what BE did to me. I looked like a friggin disco ball. (Or a Twilight vampire exposed to direct sunlight.) Worst of all though, it made me ITCH like crazy and broke me out with tiny irritation bumps all over. Not fun. Now I avoid any and all foundations that contain Bismuth. I now use and love Silk Naturals and Sassy Minerals.

It seems to work wonderfully for others though! I think with BE it's either hit or miss. No in-between.

When I used Bare Minerals, it wasn't my face that itched as much as my eyes. I thought I was going to pull my eyelashes out! I was surprised that I was having a problem with this makeup because I am not normally sensitive to makeup. I did some research to see if others had the same problem with BM and found that many do. In researching this I found KmS Mineral Essentials a couple of years ago. It is a great product and no more itching. Yay!

kmsmineralessentials.com

Back