Oscar Nominees for Best Makeup & Hairstyling

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dalylah

Lacquer Lackey
Reaction score
The Academy Awards (The Oscars) are coming up on February 24th. These are the Oscar nominees for Best Makeup and Hairstyling category. Who would you vote for and why?

Hitchcock
Howard Berger, Peter Montagna and Martin Samuel

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
Peter Swords King, Rick Findlater and Tami Lane

Les Misérables
Lisa Westcott and Julie Dartnell

What? No Lincoln???

Well, being that most films in the past 10 years are all about action, CGI and prosthectics... I am going with Peter King (H/MU Designer), Rick Findlater (Key Hair/MU), Tami Lane (Prosthetics Super) for The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey.

Why? This film is very prosthectics heavy compared to the other two films in this catagory.

Originally Posted by vogueboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very well written article Dalylah, as in in-depth and informative.
Thank you!
biggrin.gif

I'm bias towards The Hobbit because of Tami Lane. She is such a sweet, kind and talented woman.

Well I for one was very surprised that Les Misérables won the Oscar for best Hair and Make-up. Considering all the press being written up on the Hobbit in Make-up Artist Magazine and on social media sites. Maybe the Academy should add Prosthetics in a new separate Special Make-up Effects category? For next year? Thoughts?

I would love to see a separate new category. Some of the prosthetics work is amazing, as is the SFX but they are apples and oranges to me.

Yeah, I totally agree. Even on feature films that are prosthetics heavy, the call sheets list the make-up categories separately as separate departments with different keys, assists, dailies, and weeklies. And we're talking union here. Even on the IMDb crew credits it's a separate category.

Originally Posted by vogueboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I for one was very surprised that Les Misérables won the Oscar for best Hair and Make-up. Considering all the press being written up on the Hobbit in Make-up Artist Magazine and on social media sites.

Maybe the Academy should add Prosthetics in a new separate Special Make-up Effects category? For next year?

Thoughts?
I'm surprised that Special Effects Make-Up is not a different category since beauty makeup and FX makeup are completely different. That said, the problem with a new category just for FX makeup are the years in which there are not many movies with special effects makeup. Lincoln, Hobbit both had special effects makeup... but what other 2012 movie did?

Looper Snow White and the Huntsman MiB lll Cloud Atlas Hitchcock Dredd Prometheus Just to name a few. I am sure I missed a couple. But in the end, it'll make the elimination process easier. (Of course we're discussing this in a vacuum, as it's highly unlikely that the Academy will create a separate category.) I am not including slasher genre films as those F/X are mostly Art Department. My Prosthetic picks for 2013: The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones Pacific Rim The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug Evil Dead World War Z

Can't wait to see The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug. I loved The Hobbit and this just calls out to my inner geek that loves fantasy!

Latest posts

Back