PCOS ... Ruined my life!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm 31 and I've had PCOS since I was 14.  I think a lot more people have it than you know, but it comes in varying degrees.  I am completely anovulatory (no ovulation, no periods) and have a hard time with my weight.  It's so erratic it is more of a roller coaster than a yo-yo.  I fail glucose tests but my lipid panels come back fantastic.  I have three friends with it as well but they are all thinner than me and have been able to conceive with the help of fertility drugs. Two of those girls have awful acne where I have none.  It is just variable.  To be perfectly candid, I have been unable to conceive with fertility treatment.  The next step is IVF but we are not ready to pursue that yet.  If I'm not going to conceive 'naturally' I might as well go to grad school :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Echoing the 'eat like you are diabetic' sentiment.  The weight gain in PCOS is related to insulin-resistance but they haven't really figured out why.  There is a genetic component as well--it tends to show up in women with female family members that suffer from it and also a strong diabetic family history in both sexes.  

It can be hard, but I try to keep everything in perspective.  There have been times I wished that I instead had something that didn't manifest in physical appearance.  Really though, it is something you can manage with some effort.  It doesn't seem fair to have to make such an effort.  I know when you are young you see friends eat pizza and drink real coke and never gain a lb.  The thing is, that usually doesn't last forever.  Many of my friends who used to eat PIE straight from the container in front of me and stay in bikinis are starting to catch right up to me around age 30.  It isn't only about weight, it is about overall health.  You have a chance to make a positive health change now that will make great habits for the rest of your life :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Back