Pigment FAQ

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love MAC piggies! I love them for putting streaks of color in my hair too. I just mix a little with hair gel and coat a section and let dry, then lightly comb into place. My hair is fine and doesn't like dyes or perms, so this is the perfect way to do a fun punky blue, pink or green streaks. During the holidays I use my gold, silver and coppery ones.
cool.gif

MAC products are very popular or of course good. I like its product & every women loves your post of pigmentation like me.

I'm never sure if I want to actually get pigments, because of the mess factor and now with the size change I just don't find it worth it anymore. Maybe I'll buy one if I see one at my CCO that I absolutely LOVE

Buy samples from TKB Trading or Coastal Scents rather than getting MAC. The pigments are just as good, if not better and they are less than $2 ea. TKB is $1 and CS at $1.50, they do require shipping also hence at about $2ea. 1tbs is more than a container of pigment from MAC. You can do the same things to these as you can to MAC. I'm still kicking myself for buying 3 MAC pigments = $75. I could have gotten 50+ colours at TKB and/or CS! You live and learn. You do need a base to turn these pigments into eyeshadows but the base is only about $10 for 8oz at TKB. That makes a ton of eyeshadows... believe me.

Originally Posted by reesesilverstar /img/forum/go_quote.gif Hmmm... I just bought some piggies over the weekend... I forgot all about TKB... maybe next time. Cosmetics are all impulse purchases. I now just stroll cosmetic aisles or stores to get inspiration. I still get suckered in sometimes but only to those things i can't make like mascara or gel liner. I've not bought an eyeshadow or foundation in a year now. Every time I see a colour I like, I just try to replicate it at home with my pigments. Oddly enough, I still like the neutrals so I make my fad colours and give away most of my batch to friends. I can't say enough wonderful things about them. It has saved me a bunch of $$$ making them myself and its a hobby now. I keep my pigments in a large toolbox and I put my mixed batches in little tiny snap top containers from the dollarstore (8 for $1). It drives me crazy that people are spending so much for something that should cost so little! To top it off, I only used each of my MAC pigments once!!! That was such a waste of $75! So much for me getting into a produce for the name! *banging my head against the wall saying 'stupid me'*

You know I always thought that pigments would be too messy for me. You've made it sound pretty appealing and I like that I can try out some less expensive versions and save my money. It's another example of how it's good to shop around. MAC is great, but you can get so many other great cosmetics and makeup brushes from other really good companies. Thanks for the tips!

pigments are only as messy as you are messy. If you have good containers to keep the pigments, they don't spill out. I use small snap top containers from the dollar store. 8 for $1. They are clear, they hold just enough pigments (even at half filled, I have not finished one yet!)

I also, like many others, did not know that certain ones couldn't be used on the lip or eye... but you know, like a toddler, I have to know WHYYYYYY? I used my Fuschia on my eyes earlier in the week and didn't have any issues... so WHY? I ask, WHY NOT?
smile.gif

Somethings contain ultramarines - not safe on lips and some contain lakes (dyes) - not safe on eyes. Here's another thread on the ultramarines.

https://forum.makeuptalk.com/f12...afe-98154.html

You can use them if you want but not all the time. I have used lakes on my eyes as red e/s but it stains my contact lenses EVERY time so I have to replace them after each time I wear red e/s.

Back