POP Beauty Plump Pout (discussion)

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know this is off topic but because I read about the problems every time I use mine I have to smell it....it smells fine but I'm like "hm this an okay smell???". For me it's all in my head but sorry to all you girls with bad product!!!

If they would have just admitted there was a problem and offered a replacement in next months bag, I'm sure people would be fine with that. No one likes to feel like they are being misled. People would be
icon_neutral.gif
instead of
bang.gif
Missing flavoring my a$$!

*If they sent a replacement item next month as a extra item, this would have been a cost effective way to correct the problem. Just a bit more in shipping and everyone would think they did their best to resolve the matter. For the ones who unsubscribed they would feel like if they had just given them a chance pop/ipsy would have made it right.

Hey guys, thanks to Dashery linking this to me on one of the ipsy threads, I joined to tell you guys what happened today with this.

While I was one of the few that did not experience problems with the gloss, I still wanted to look into it further. I went ahead and bought the full size today. I was planning on buying the full size eventually, since I liked the sample so much. So I tried it on today. I got that burning sensation that people were talking about. I. did. not. like. it. at. all.

It's a shame really too, also kinda weird. I liked the sample size so much, but it was the full size product that was causing problems for me.

Now to be fair, I haven't had a lot of experience with plumping products. However, the October 2013 Glam Bag, I received the Buxom Full On Lip Polish (Dolly) by Bare Essentials and I LOVED it! It plumped my lips really well, and it had a minty tingle feel on my lips and I felt comfortable. Pop Beauty's Plump Pout, however, made me feel uncomfortable.

I'm making a video now (it will be my first one, so I'm nervous) that shows me trying it on for the first time. I'm thinking it might be fair to go ahead to have someone physically speaking about it. It's a shame. I really like the Pop Beauty products. :C

Quote: Originally Posted by way2gocoolie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Hey guys, thanks to Dashery linking this to me on one of the ipsy threads, I joined to tell you guys what happened today with this.

While I was one of the few that did not experience problems with the gloss, I still wanted to look into it further. I went ahead and bought the full size today. I was planning on buying the full size eventually, since I liked the sample so much. So I tried it on today. I got that burning sensation that people were talking about. I. did. not. like. it. at. all.

It's a shame really too, also kinda weird. I liked the sample size so much, but it was the full size product that was causing problems for me.

Now to be fair, I haven't had a lot of experience with plumping products. However, the October 2013 Glam Bag, I received the Buxom Full On Lip Polish (Dolly) by Bare Essentials and I LOVED it! It plumped my lips really well, and it had a minty tingle feel on my lips and I felt comfortable. Pop Beauty's Plump Pout, however, made me feel uncomfortable.

I'm making a video now (it will be my first one, so I'm nervous) that shows me trying it on for the first time. I'm thinking it might be fair to go ahead to have someone physically speaking about it. It's a shame. I really like the Pop Beauty products. :C

Since you bought the full size one today, can you check the box packaging to see where it was made and the ingredients? Ipsy and POP have stated that the full size are their old formula and the minis are their new formula. It'd be interesting to see if the ones sold in store are the new formula or old one.

I emailed Ipsy and PopBeauty Sunday.  No response yet from Ipsy.  PopBeauty replied with their "sorry yours didn't taste delicious but everyone elses did!" (not exact quote, obvs).

That wording makes me think of 5 kids at a birthday party, eating delicious cupcakes, while the 6th takes a bite and discovers his was made out of salt instead of sugar.  "Ooh, yours doesn't taste good?  Theirs does, so bummer for you!"

It's a PR nightmare for them, but it's their own fault.  I'm annoyed, especially because I really like the color of the lipgloss and was SUPER excited to try it.

Quote: Originally Posted by MrsMeow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I emailed Ipsy and PopBeauty Sunday.  No response yet from Ipsy.  PopBeauty replied with their "sorry yours didn't taste delicious but everyone elses did!" (not exact quote, obvs).

That wording makes me think of 5 kids at a birthday party, eating delicious cupcakes, while the 6th takes a bite and discovers his was made out of salt instead of sugar.  "Ooh, yours doesn't taste good?  Theirs does, so bummer for you!"

It's a PR nightmare for them, but it's their own fault.  I'm annoyed, especially because I really like the color of the lipgloss and was SUPER excited to try it.

What was the exact email from them? Curious to see it.

I made scans, but the scans didn't turn out well due to the silver shine lettering. He's a picture I took with my iphone: 

Here's the scans if anyone is curious:

Ingredients read:

Hydrogenated Polyisobutene (and) Ethylene / Propylene / Styrene Copolymer (and) Butylene / Ethylene / Styrene Copolymer, Mineral Oil, Polybutene, Beeswax, Copemica Cerifera (Camauba) Wax, Pentaerythntyl Tetraisostearate (and) Caprylic / Capric Triglyceride (and) Stearalkonium Hectorite (and) Palmitoyl Hexapeptide-12, Ethylhexyl Palmitate / Tribehenin Sorbitan Isostearate / Palmitoyl Oligopeptide, Benzyl Nicotinate, Persea Gratissima (Avocado Oil), Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin-E), Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Almond) Oil, Lavandula Angustifolia Extract / Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil (Lavender Butter), Simmondsia Chinesis (Jojoba Seed) Oil, Mangifera Indica Seed Butter (Mango Butter), Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract, Fragrance. [+/- Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Red 7 Lake (CI 15850), Yellow 5 Lake (CI 19140), Red 33 Lake (CI 17200)].

"Made in the USA"

Man...that was a lot. Sorry if I misspelled an ingredient, but it was hard to read because the letters are so small and squished together. 

Quote: Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It's one that I think has already been posted here:

Dear Beth,   We appreciate you taking the time to inform us of your experience with the POP Beauty Plump Pout in the IPSY bag. We are sincerely sorry that you have received a gloss that you feel was unsatisfactory. Ever since POP Beauty started, our passion has always been to create the best products. With the recent POP Beauty Plump Pout in the IPSY bag, there was a flavouring issue with a small batch and we are devastated by this. We want to assure you that the product is safe for use and that most Plump Pouts delivered in this month’s glam bags taste like their regular delicious selves. Please accept our sincerest apology and we hope that you  can forgive us for this oversight. We will be doing everything to make sure this never happens again.   Yours Sincerely, POP Beauty

I made scans, but the scans didn't turn out well due to the silver shine lettering. He's a picture I took with my iphone: 

Ingredients read:

Hydrogenated Polyisobutene (and) Ethylene / Propylene / Styrene Copolymer (and) Butylene / Ethylene / Styrene Copolymer, Mineral Oil, Polybutene, Beeswax, Copemica Cerifera (Camauba) Wax, Pentaerythntyl Tetraisostearate (and) Caprylic / Capric Triglyceride (and) Stearalkonium Hectorite (and) Palmitoyl Hexapeptide-12, Ethylhexyl Palmitate / Tribehenin Sorbitan Isostearate / Palmitoyl Oligopeptide, Benzyl Nicotinate, Persea Gratissima (Avocado Oil), Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin-E), Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Almond) Oil, Lavandula Angustifolia Extract / Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil (Lavender Butter), Simmondsia Chinesis (Jojoba Seed) Oil, Mangifera Indica Seed Butter (Mango Butter), Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract, Fragrance. [+/- Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Red 7 Lake (CI 15850), Yellow 5 Lake (CI 19140), Red 33 Lake (CI 17200)].

"Made in the USA"

Man...that was a lot. Sorry if I misspelled an ingredient, but it was hard to read because the letters are so small and squished together. 
I checked the ingredients Zadi posted and this looks like the new formula to me.

I have question. Is the production of the full sized glosses now taking place in the manufacturer in Taiwan? I'm just asking because this packaging says made in USA.

Dear Beth,   We appreciate you taking the time to inform us of your experience with the POP Beauty Plump Pout in the IPSY bag. We are sincerely sorry that you have received a gloss that you feel was unsatisfactory. Ever since POP Beauty started, our passion has always been to create the best products. With the recent POP Beauty Plump Pout in the IPSY bag, there was a flavouring issue with a small batch and we are devastated by this. We want to assure you that the product is safe for use and that most Plump Pouts delivered in this month’s glam bags taste like their regular delicious selves. Please accept our sincerest apology and we hope that you  can forgive us for this oversight. We will be doing everything to make sure this never happens again.   Yours Sincerely, POP Beauty
I call BS on their reply because their "regular delicious selves" are made in the US and contain different ingredients.

That is the same one I received and promptly told them that their responses was inappropriate.

Quote: Originally Posted by Dashery /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Ingredients read:

"Made in the USA"

I checked the ingredients Zadi posted and this looks like the new formula to me.

I have question. Is the production of the full sized glosses now taking place in the manufacturer in Taiwan? I'm just asking because this packaging says made in USA.

If this helps:

Full size Mini Hydrogenated Polyisobutene (and) Ethylene / Propylene / Styrene Copolymer (and) Butylene / Ethylene / Styrene Copolymer Mineral Oil Mineral Oil Polyisobutylene Polybutene Beeswax Beeswax Diisostearyl Malate Copernica Cerifera (Carnouba) Wax Silica Pentaerythrityl Tetraisostearate (and) Caprylic / Capric Triglyceride (and) Stearalkonium Hectorite (and) Palmitoyl Hexapeptide-12 Ethyl Hexyl Palmitate Ethylhexyl Palmitate / Tribehenin Sorbitan Isostearate / Palmitoyl Oligopeptide Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride Benzyl Nicotinate Ethylhexyl Palmitate Persea Gratissima (Avocado Oil) Silica Dimethyl Silylate Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin-E) Butylene Glycol Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Almond) Oil Hexylene Glycol Lavandula Angustifolia Extract / Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil (Lavender Butter) Phenoxyetharol Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba Seed) Oil Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil Mangifera Indica Seed Butter (Mango Butter) Tocopheryl Acetate Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract Sambucus Nigra Fruit Extract Fragrance.  Fragrance [+/- Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891) [+/- Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499) Iron Oxides (CI 77491CI 77492CI 77499) Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891) Red 7 Lake (CI 15850) Yellow 5 Lake (CI 19140) Yellow 5 Lake (CI 19140) Red 6 Lake (CI 158502) Red 33 Lake (CI 17200)].  Made in Taiwan. Designed in the USA Made in the USA.  
What you have is the so-called "old" formula. The so-called "new" formula contain these ingredients:

Fuchsia Freesia: mineral oil, polyisobutylene, beeswax, disosteary malate, silica, ethyl hexyl palmitate, caprylic/capric triglyceride, ethylheyxl palmitate, silica dimethyl siliate, butylene glycol, pentylene glycol, sodium, hyaluronate, caprylyl glycol, hexylene glycol, phenoxyetharol, simmondsia chinensis(jojoba) seed oil, tocopherl acetate, sambucus nigra fruit extract, fragrance [+/- iron oxides (cl 77491, cl 77492, cl 77499), titanium dioxide (cl 77891), yellow 5 lake (cl 19140:1), red 6 lake (cl 15850:2) red 7 Lake (cl 15850:1)]

Peony Petal: mineral oil, polyisobutylene, beeswax, disosteary malate, silica, ethyl hexyl palmitate, caprylic/capric triglyceride, ethylheyxl palmitate, silica dimethyl siliate, butylene glycol, pentylene glycol, sodium, hyaluronate, caprylyl glycol, hexylene glycol, phenoxyetharol, simmondsia chinensis(jojoba) seed oil, tocopherl acetate, sambucus nigra fruit extract, fragrance [+/- iron oxides (cl 77491, cl 77492, cl 77499), titanium dioxide (cl 77891), yellow 5 lake (cl 19140:1), red 6 lake (cl 15850:2) red 7 Lake (cl 15850:1)]

This makes me worried about all of the products they are now sampling through birchbox.  Although, if something happens and Birchbox handles it anywhere near as well as they did the issues with the Befine moisturizer, it will be a non-issue.

Quote: Originally Posted by gemstone /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  This makes me worried about all of the products they are now sampling through birchbox.  Although, if something happens and Birchbox handles it anywhere near as well as they did the issues with the Befine moisturizer, it will be a non-issue.

I was told by a BeFine rep that they did get a chemical analysis on the product and had samples tested. I'm not sure if they still have a copy of it, I'm sure they do, so you could always ask them about it.

Quote: Originally Posted by gemstone /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I was told by a BeFine rep that they did get a chemical analysis on the product and had samples tested. I'm not sure if they still have a copy of it, I'm sure they do, so you could always ask them about it.

No I was saying that Birchbox and befine handled it extremely well, so at leastI don't have to worry about Birchbox doing what ipsy has done.

Oh! I TOTALLY agree with that. Come to think of it... I had a small hand in that as well by going to my Birchbox contact and within 24 hours or so both Birchbox and BeFine went to subscribers affected by it. lol I guess I'm a bit of a busybody. LOL

BUT!! I like what BeFine did... they had the samples tested to see if the items were harmful or safe just to be sure. POP Beauty has yet to do that or announce that they plan on doing that. They've been silent today.

Oh! I TOTALLY agree with that. Come to think of it... I had a small hand in that as well by going to my Birchbox contact and within 24 hours or so both Birchbox and BeFine went to subscribers affected by it. lol I guess I'm a bit of a busybody. LOL
LOL well we all appreciate it!  All of this could have been already handled if both companies had acted swiftly and appropriately, but now ipsy is probably going to lose a ton of subscribers, and anyone who got that gloss is going to let everyone know about their issues with the company.

This is my first post. I have been stalking and reading posts from all of the lovely MUT ladies for quite awhile. My plump pout is one that smelled awful from the start. I really liked the color so I used it anyways for a week (good judgement goes out the window at times). After a week of use, once a day, my lips were aweful. Not chapped but more like severe windburn with peeling and redness. I suppose it could be an allergic reaction but I highly doubt it as I do not have sensitive skin and have never had a reaction to anything (other than laundry). I haven't emailed ipsy or pop yet but wanted to share my experience because it took awhile for it to develop into an issue and I do not believe this is safe. I do not think it is fair for Ipsy to say it is up to a subscriber to decide if a product is safe, as said in a previous email i read here, when i pay them to send me products and should be able to trust that they are safe for the general public. If I had aversions or allergies with certain products I would check the ingredients and that is different than the wrong or missing ingredients. I am a bit sad that my first post is a rant about this with all of the fabulous things I read from the rest of the MUT gals. Thank you Zadidoll and everyone else going above and beyond looking into this for the rest of us!

Quote: Originally Posted by stricmo /img/forum/go_quote.gif

This is my first post. I have been stalking and reading posts from all of the lovely MUT ladies for quite awhile. My plump pout is one that smelled awful from the start. I really liked the color so I used it anyways for a week (good judgement goes out the window at times). After a week of use, once a day, my lips were aweful. Not chapped but more like severe windburn with peeling and redness. I suppose it could be an allergic reaction but I highly doubt it as I do not have sensitive skin and have never had a reaction to anything (other than laundry). I haven't emailed ipsy or pop yet but wanted to share my experience because it took awhile for it to develop into an issue and I do not believe this is safe. I do not think it is fair for Ipsy to say it is up to a subscriber to decide if a product is safe, as said in a previous email i read here, when i pay them to send me products and should be able to trust that they are safe for the general public. If I had aversions or allergies with certain products I would check the ingredients and that is different than the wrong or missing ingredients. I am a bit sad that my first post is a rant about this with all of the fabulous things I read from the rest of the MUT gals. Thank you Zadidoll and everyone else going above and beyond looking into this for the rest of us!

I hate reading about your lips, you shouldn't have had to suffer, it's just not right that you did. I know POP Beauty didn't intend to send out potentially contaminated products, no company thinks, "hey let's poison our customers!" so I'm hoping that they get the products tested by an independent lab and provide proof. And if it turns out the products are contaminated or harmful that they go after the manufacturer for 1) lying to them and 2) providing faulty products.

Please, if your lips are still damaged/injured, please take pictures and document it. Even if you don't send it to the FDA or to POP Beauty or to Ipsy right now at least keep documentation of it with photos in the event you do want to contact any of them.

They are better but still a bit red and flakey on the outside. I will try to take some in the morning. If "burnt" lips are the worst of it I will be ok. I agree that none of it was intentional and I really am not upset it did this (I really shouldn't have tried to use it). I just wish Ipsy and POP would have handled the fallout differently. Although I will probably never buy a POP product again I will continue to subscribe to Ipsy as everything with them has been great for me other than this. More than anything I wanted to share my experience so if someone else has a gross tube they can learn from my terrible judgement skills. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

The mini's seem like they have a crap ton of chemicals in them.  Why not just test it to make sure the correct chemicals were actually used.  If they are such a great company then they should be able to stand by their product fully.  Wouldn't I take a sip of wine to prove to the king that I wasn't poisoning him if I were being honest?  They should get an analysis to say - you don't believe us, but here is proof that everything is kosher.  If you stand by your product then you should be willing to get it tested because there should be nothing to fear.  

I read somewhere that they don't have batch numbers…I thought products were suppose to that way if there is a recall they can recall the proper ones..? I chucked mine so I can't say.

This is totally reminding me of the car company (I think Toyota) that had an acceleration problem and they were like, "Nope. Nothing wrong. Nothing to see here."

Latest posts

Back