POPSUGAR Must Have - August 2012

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really hope this box blows me away. Because I can't justify the cost of it....I regret not asking for a refund after last months. But I guess if it's nothing special then that's like 4 birchboxes a month that can replace it lol. 

Has anyone noticed that they changed the wording on their page again?  Now it refers to the Popsugar Must Have BOX.... I'm hoping we'll continue to get bags like we originally signed up for!  I'm keeping my subscription for another month, but I don't like how they keep switching things on us.

Originally Posted by musthave /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Has anyone noticed that they changed the wording on their page again?  Now it refers to the Popsugar Must Have BOX.... I'm hoping we'll continue to get bags like we originally signed up for!  I'm keeping my subscription for another month, but I don't like how they keep switching things on us.
I just saw.  Majorly disappointing.  They don't mention the word bag anymore.  The bag was probably the best thing about the box.  But.. I guess I don't need a canvas bag every single time.  But major BOOs for changing things up AGAIN

Just checked that out as well - I guess I won't mind, as long as they make up the price of the bag with some cool products!

again?!  After that mess with changing it from $100 to $150, I would have thought they'd have learned not to do this by now.

I feel like this month is going to make or break them.  If its two bad boxes in a row, I think word will get out not to subscribe.  Im hopeful it will be better this month.  They def. have potential.

Originally Posted by tulippop /img/forum/go_quote.gif

again?!  After that mess with changing it from $100 to $150, I would have thought they'd have learned not to do this by now.

This looks to me more like they're learning as they go.  We don't know why these changes are happening.  It's possible that suppliers they were relying on for certain things have gone out of business.  It's also possible that they have had so many people complaining about the bags (did anyone else notice that *every single item* in the bag was made in the US, but the bag was made in China?  I did, and I know I've seen it mentioned on blogs) that they decided that plan needed to change.  And if a shipment is worth $100 and the bag has a $20 value (we might not think that bag is worth $20, but the company that sells them does), we're looking at $80 worth of non-bag stuff.  Personally, I have a whole lot of reusable bags.  At least a dozen.  I would have been just fine getting, say, a beach towel, an insulated water bottle, or a hydrating mist instead of the tote bag.  It's a cute idea, but those bags are extremely overvalued, not to mention breeding in my car.

Originally Posted by meaganola /img/forum/go_quote.gif

This looks to me more like they're learning as they go.  We don't know why these changes are happening.  It's possible that suppliers they were relying on for certain things have gone out of business.  It's also possible that they have had so many people complaining about the bags (did anyone else notice that *every single item* in the bag was made in the US, but the bag was made in China?  I did, and I know I've seen it mentioned on blogs) that they decided that plan needed to change.  And if a shipment is worth $100 and the bag has a $20 value (we might not think that bag is worth $20, but the company that sells them does), we're looking at $80 worth of non-bag stuff.  Personally, I have a whole lot of reusable bags.  At least a dozen.  I would have been just fine getting, say, a beach towel, an insulated water bottle, or a hydrating mist instead of the tote bag.  It's a cute idea, but those bags are extremely overvalued, not to mention breeding in my car.
It's not so much the bag that annoys me but changing their product after we've already paid.  Last month I paid $35 + tax and was expecting a package with a value of $150 and the day we started receiving the packages in the mail they devalued it to $100.  If you go to Target and paid $10 for a box of 10 lipsticks and go home and find that there's only 7 inside, wouldn't you be upset?  And I don't think I'm setting my expectations high because that is what they advertised. 

This month, I thought we would be getting another bag + products which equal $100 and now there's no bag even though their site used to say that every month we'd get a one of a kind bag.  So for the people who already paid this month and were expecting a bag, well tough luck.  If they don't check online often or check forums like this one they won't know that they aren't getting a bag until their package arrives.  If they are going to change their policy they need to notify the people who are subbed via email or something. 

It's not the bag or the value or the bag, it's the fact that they said we'd be getting A, B, C and D and then changed it to A, B and C in July without notifying anyone and now for August they're changing it on the sly again to A and B.  This is really bad business. 

It's very bad business! Do you guys have to sign up each month or is it billed?

After the first bag's value was reduced, they should have given every single customer 30% off. Period. I hate the whole idea of businesses learning as they go at the expense of customers. It seems like more and more people are arrogant enough to think that they have a right to make mistakes at customers' expense then blow it off because they are "learning".

Originally Posted by nelliebelle1197 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It's very bad business! Do you guys have to sign up each month or is it billed?

After the first bag's value was reduced, they should have given every single customer 30% off. Period. I hate the whole idea of businesses learning as they go at the expense of customers. It seems like more and more people are arrogant enough to think that they have a right to make mistakes at customers' expense then blow it off because they are "learning".
I think it didn't help that they posted a blog, detailing what was most likely a very expensive weekend wining and dining, that turned out to have nothing to do with the contents of the bag at all. I loved the tote bag, but it wasn't the most cheapy thing we got. That scrub and lotion were so cheapy that they gave me leg pimples. I was satisfied, overall. I love the "In Your Room" lipstick and both of the fingernail polishes. But I will most likely be disappointed if we don't get a tote bag at all this month. I know that sounds stupid to some people, because I could just buy a tote bag, but I use them constantly and I don't always want the name of a grocery store on the bag. The one they sent for last month is the perfect size for taking my dog around, and I would love to have it in other colors/patterns.

I am hoping to be really impressed this month.

Just saw that Popsugar is offering a $10 discount code to those placing their first order - http://www.popsugar.com/PopSugar-Must-Have-Subscription-August-24475761. I tried to see if there is a way for us currents subscribers to cancel and re-sub, but after reading the FAQ it says that you have to cancel 15 days prior to the end of the month to avoid being charged for the next month's box - https://musthave.popsugar.com/frequently-asked-questions.

The page with the discount code says this about current subscribers: Already ordered one? It makes an exciting gift, too. And don't forget: if you refer friends, you can earn up to six months of subscriptions absolutely free! Kind of a bummer, as I would have liked a $10 credit as well! Maybe they're thinking we shouldn't be able to use the code because we had the opportunity for a refund?

I'm guessing they changed this after deciding not to include a bag in the August "box". It seems to me that they rushed into this without a proper business plan and without doing research. It is their site's popularity that will make it successful in the beginning but unless they improve the boxes, I don't see many people sticking around. I can make far better use of the $35.

I had cancelled immediately after the first bag, but I think at $25 this bag would be worth it.  Since I had already cancelled, I was able to use the $10 off code to resubscribe.  I couldn't make that link work, but the code POPSHOP worked for me.

Originally Posted by Moonittude /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It's still called a "must have bag" in my account.
Same here and it says payment is processing.  =/  Unless I'm wow'ed this month, I'm cancelling.  It's just too much money when I'm very happy with my $10 Birchbox sub.

Originally Posted by Moonittude /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It's still called a "must have bag" in my account.
by the tracking info in my account it says bad, but the rest of the website says Box.  Maybe they changed it to Box thinking more people would subscribe.  Maybe people thought it was more like Little Black Bag where you would get a nice designer bag? Just thoughts

Originally Posted by tulippop /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Same here and it says payment is processing.  =/  Unless I'm wow'ed this month, I'm cancelling.  It's just too much money when I'm very happy with my $10 Birchbox sub.
Same - I had really high hopes for this subscription service, but $35 is a lot of money to spend on items that I'm not utterly wowed by. Maybe this month's bag/box will be better.

I just now received my refund.. but they only gave me $31.67 back.  Oh well. anything is better than nothing after taking over 3 weeks of emails

If this months isn't completely amazing then I don't mind cancelling, every other sub I have is like 10-12 bucks so it's easier to justify the price of that if i don't like it. This is like if I get 4 extra birchbox subscriptions or something... =/ I do like that they have different themes but I really don't like the price......

Well, I bought one. With the facebook code FBFAN15 it brings the cost down to $21 same as Glossybox (justified like a true subscription addict). I hope it's a good one!

Back