Popsugar Must Have September 2016 Box Spoilers

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I don't hate this box, I kind of really like it. The hat is cute, I put it on and liked it.  Then I took it off and realized the white band on it is styrofoam and took it off.  It's now really blah.  I craft, so I'll sew a white ribbon band on it.  But $58?  You joking?  It's the same quality I can get from Wal-Mart or Claire's.  As in, not very.  It's a generic feltie hat and all black.  So I like it, but I wouldn't pay that much for it.  Maybe $15.

The hair mask as the other big ticket item will be great if it works, but if it doesn't, the box starts to become a bust.

The lint roller is great!  My husband travels a lot for work and he'll steal this easily.

The nail kit is cute.

The lipstick - well, I have no idea.  The shade looks great and might look good with a muted eye shadow but... it's broken.  It either melted or was smashed (see pic).  The PS box is fine, and the packaging it came in is fine, so I'm going with the top melted in transit which means it most likely melted - why you'd put cheap meltable plastic on lipstick you are charging $22 for and put it in a shippable box where it's warehoused for several months, then shipped standard is beyond me.

The biggest bust in the box is the food.  In fact, all the food has been busts.  I liked my first dark chocolate espresso beans but they were a discontinued item, dumped on the box to get rid of them.  I get the organic/gluten craze is in full swing despite 90% of gluten avoiders don't need to (as they aren't celiac sufferers) but they are always nasty.  Between stale and/or gross food items, these are complete busts.

All in all, I'd value this box personally at around $35 with the items I could use, $50 if I can get into this lipstick.

14291746_10210752672194583_8971716111615361413_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
So I don't hate this box, I kind of really like it. The hat is cute, I put it on and liked it.  Then I took it off and realized the white band on it is styrofoam and took it off.  It's now really blah.  I craft, so I'll sew a white ribbon band on it.  But $58?  You joking?  It's the same quality I can get from Wal-Mart or Claire's.  As in, not very.  It's a generic feltie hat and all black.  So I like it, but I wouldn't pay that much for it.  Maybe $15.

The hair mask as the other big ticket item will be great if it works, but if it doesn't, the box starts to become a bust.

The lint roller is great!  My husband travels a lot for work and he'll steal this easily.

The nail kit is cute.

The lipstick - well, I have no idea.  The shade looks great and might look good with a muted eye shadow but... it's broken.  It either melted or was smashed (see pic).  The PS box is fine, and the packaging it came in is fine, so I'm going with the top melted in transit which means it most likely melted - why you'd put cheap meltable plastic on lipstick you are charging $22 for and put it in a shippable box where it's warehoused for several months, then shipped standard is beyond me.

The biggest bust in the box is the food.  In fact, all the food has been busts.  I liked my first dark chocolate espresso beans but they were a discontinued item, dumped on the box to get rid of them.  I get the organic/gluten craze is in full swing despite 90% of gluten avoiders don't need to (as they aren't celiac sufferers) but they are always nasty.  Between stale and/or gross food items, these are complete busts.

All in all, I'd value this box personally at around $35 with the items I could use, $50 if I can get into this lipstick.
That's just the packaging.  It's like that on all their lip and nail colors.  You can see it on their website in product photos. 

That's just the packaging.  It's like that on all their lip and nail colors.  You can see it on their website in product photos. 
That's odd, but stands out I suppose.  I still can't get into it.  Going to have to dig out some pliers.  :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  I assumed since grunting and spinning didn't work, that it was holding it in.

That's odd, but stands out I suppose.  I still can't get into it.  Going to have to dig out some pliers.  :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  I assumed since grunting and spinning didn't work, that it was holding it in.
lol yeah that is their signature lid for all lippies and nail polishes- I like their packaging a lot, but I would be concerned too if I didn't know that. I have several of their lippies and like them a lot

I got my box today. The hat is definitely not me. The lip stain is too bright of red for my taste but maybe it won't be as bright on the lips. The hair mask I'll use. The little nail kit is handy too. The gluten free snacks I ate almost at once. It didn't help that I was starving. I had to put the bag away before I ate the whole thing. Nothing like having a 1000 calorie snack.

Update, after some pliers and some heft by the hubs, I got in!  lol - that thing was closed tight!  I really expected the lip to be redder based on color but it mutes down nicely, even with the gloss.  I actually really, really like it.

So box value to me was raised to $50.  I still feel like the expensive hat is just way overpriced for what it is... a feltie, plain black hat, but it's not entirely useless.  If it was better quality, I think I would have really felt I got a deal in this box.

Glad to hear @@Seola that the color is more muted on the lips. I'm more encouraged to try it now. So happy you were able to get yours open. Can't believe it was on so tight.

Last edited by a moderator:
I liked this box a lot! Popsugar and Rachel Zoe are making me wear hats more often lol. This hat looks nice with the cape from the Zoe box too..

Mine arrived today, and I didn't like it as much as I thought. Turns out that my head is too small for the hat? I wasn't expecting that because I usually look really good with hats, but this looks like some kind of cowgirl hat on me. I tried it on and my mom walked into the room and asked, "Where's the rodeo?"  <_<

I'll end up selling the hat and lip lacquer. I'll use the conditioner but don't expect to love it. I gave the lint roller to my mom, who was excited by it.

The only thing I really like is the nail kit, which I actually needed.

Also, the snack they sent is DISGUSTING. 

I got my box yesterday.

I was unsure of the hat, the way I tried it on with the brim up made me look like blossom, Screen Shot 2016-09-15 at 1.56.00 PM.png

but then I turned the brim down and sort of worked it so some of the brim folds down over my eyebrow a la JLO

Screen Shot 2016-09-15 at 1.55.12 PM.png and looks so much better on. My bf likes it, sn: he loves hats, so I'll keep it. Play with it a bit!

The lipgloss is glossier than I expected. I'm not thrilled with more red lip products but this one is very pretty on.

The lint roller is practical and will be used but, it would have been even better if they sent a refill as well.

The conditioner is huge but I probably will swap this or give it to my sister. 

The nail kit struck me as kind a cheap and unusable, I'll probably swap it. 

The snack is ok, it's similar to most of the other gluten free snacks out there, nothing spectacular about it but nothing wrong with it either. I prefer this over the bag of popcorn we got last month. 

Lollllllllllllll the blossom picture is me in every hat ever.  I just can't get used to them and always feel like an imposter when I wear them. 

I'm so so about this month's box. I do like the hat because it's the kind of item I get boxes for -- I wouldn't buy it myself but it's fun to try. The other things just seem sort of cheap or just aren't as useful for me. 

My box hasn't arrived yet.  :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Can someone tell me if the brim of the hat is square-ish. LOL! It looks like it in the spoiler picture but I'm not sure. I actually subbed for the square-ish brim hat...weird, i know.   :hehe:

Mj1992e, on 20 Sept 2016 - 04:52 AM, said:My box hasn't arrived yet.  :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Can someone tell me if the brim of the hat is square-ish. LOL! It looks like it in the spoiler picture but I'm not sure. I actually subbed for the square-ish brim hat...weird, i know.   :hehe:
I wouldn't describe it as squarish but it's not fully rounded either - sorry I know that doesn't help but hopefully you'll get your box soon and the hat will look great on!

I just got my box and am happy with it. I don't wear hats, but I tried it on and my husband really likes it, so I will try to wear it out. I already had a sample size of the mask from sephora play, and I have to say I'm not super impressed. Will try it a few more times and hope it wins me over.

What book were you all hoping wouldn't be in the box?

Back