Pore clogging ingredients in mineral make up

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree with you, Laurie_Lu. It's sort of like innocent until proven guilty. Why assume something is toxic and deadly when there is zero proof that it is? I think more research is needed before nanos are condemned. For all we know nano particles and the science associated to them will lead to a cure for cancer or AIDS.

Originally Posted by laurie_lu /img/forum/go_quote.gif Do you have proof they use micronized minerals?
According to the Delphi Forums Mineral Makeup Mania, EDM doesn't use micronized minerals:

Mineral Powder Foundation Ingredients List

Original Glo, Semi-Matte, Matte, and Intensive Coverage Foundation: Mica (CI 77019), Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Zinc Oxide (CI 77947). May contain: Iron Oxides (CI 77492, CI 77499, CI 77491), Ultramarine Blue (CI 77007). (No micronized ingredients used.)

(Carina)

EDM used micronized minerals at some point. It said so on their super old site. The one before the brown one. They could have changed their formula since then. It was in the yahoo forums http://web.archive.org/web/20050525124015/http://www.everydayminerals.com/

"Everyday Minerals is all-natural 100% pure micronized mineral makeup". Not sure if they changed their formula or they just make statements people want to hear.

Ya see, back then I think the term 'micronized' was a selling point. It was desireable to have very finely milled minerals. I probably "Micronize" my minerals when I buff them into my skin by crushing them with my flat top brush into my pores.

Originally Posted by Emily86 /img/forum/go_quote.gif there are claims that both Zinc oxide and Titanium dioxide (two common ingredients in mineral make up) can clog pores. while they offer UV protection and other benefits to the skin, it's said that they can clog pores due to being heavy metals. however, Zinc oxide is actually used in some acne treatments, so there doesn't seem to be a definitive answer on whether it's good for the skin or not.
there's also research that suggests Mica can cause skin irritations and lead to pore clogging.

does anyone know for certain whether these ingredients- Zinc oxide, Titanium dioxide, Mica- clogs pores or not? i'm really concerned about this issue since several mineral brands have caused small bumps to form on my cheeks.

I dont know for certain but I will give my 2cents!I have been using Bare Minerals for about 2 years now, actually almost 3.

I am bad when it comes to my face and ya'll are prob gonna curse me to hell for this.

I go to sleep with my makeup on.

I dont use any products on my face

I wash off excess with handsoap and water on a washcloth.

Yeah I know all "bad" things to do right?

But considering the way my skin used to be and is now? I think Im better off...Whenever I used ANY cleaning product I'd breakout. Now breakouts of ANYTHING are few and far between.

And i sleep in my bare minerals...I actually get breakouts when I STOP wearing it for a little while or any other form of dusting powder over my face.

Dont know why maybe its just me. Haha probably is.

I aint got the best skin or complexion but, I have never had breakouts caused by my mineral makeup.

Originally Posted by makeupbabe /img/forum/go_quote.gif I agree with you, Laurie_Lu. It's sort of like innocent until proven guilty. Why assume something is toxic and deadly when there is zero proof that it is? I think more research is needed before nanos are condemned. For all we know nano particles and the science associated to them will lead to a cure for cancer or AIDS. Magnetic nanoparticles target human cancer cells | Health Tech - CNET News
Alright, i'm done being ironic.

All of this is news to me though. Does Meow nanomicronize their minerals?

It may be old news, but Bismuth Oxycholoride, Silicone and Mineral Oil (Petrolatum/Petroleum) are known for clogging some people's pores. Many Hydrogenated ingredients clog my pores. All of these products can be found in some brands of "mineral" makeup. Make sure you always read the ingredients of mineral makeup before you buy. Minerals don't always mean "natural" and natural and vegan don't always mean "organic".

Back