Pros & Cons of Cap vs. Foil (highlights)

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OMG foil is so much better. My friend had the cap thing done and I got the foil one at a salon and her blonde highlights looked so unnatural . . . but mine were pretty fine! lol :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Personally I prefer the cap method to the foil. i like the look of all over highlights as a opposed to the few little ones i got from foiling because my hair is very very thick and 8 foils for $80 just didnt cut it. . Although, I highly recommend going to a hair stylist that has been in the field a long time and has going to many hair shows and workshops. The result is better and more natural when it has been mastered which takes years. And the mentors that taught older stylists were taught the cap method and it was more popular so they did it more often. Now a days people do so much highlighting with foils, that they dont put as much focus on the cap method. and if done incorrectly leaves your hair spotty, uneven, and unhealthy because the knots are awful. deep conditioning treatments should always be applied after highlights and you should continue doing these treatments once a week. anytime bleach is added to the hair it takes the natural oils out it so you need to add that into your regime. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> hope the info helps.

It really depends what kind of high light you want to go with. 

Foiling you can have a lot more direct placement, and multiple colours- whereas cap, it can only be one colour and its all random throughout the head.

It also depends on hair type. If your hair is very thick and coarse, your stylist should know better than to try and pull that through a cap. It will be very painful for you. 

In the end, it's all up to whatever you wanna do/ have done. 

JUst had low knights put in my hair yesterday. He used the cap method. I am very disappointed - now my whole head of hair looks the colour he put in. My lighter hair has all disappeared! He pulled hair through every hole in the cap - is that the correct way to do it? I suspect all my hair was pulled through. Now I have to go back to get highlights put in my hair - ugh!

I paid $70 for cap highlights and cut- short hair.

Back