Question: Is your career what you REALLY want to do?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm curious to see how many of us are doing what we really dream of. If you could go back in time, would you do things differently so you would have a better career?

Me: I've always wanted to be a full-time stay-at-home mom and right now I'm a stay-at-home wife. It's a good start, but the only mommying I do is for my cats and husband. LOL! I'm taking courses to expand my talents in other areas, like photography and I'm a freelance makeup artist for extra spending money.

If I had to go back in time, I would have stayed in college to finish my degree. Someday I know having that piece of paper will come in handy!

Originally Posted by KittySkyfish I'm curious to see how many of us are doing what we really dream of. If you could go back in time, would you do things differently so you would have a better career?
Me: I've always wanted to be a full-time stay-at-home mom and right now I'm a stay-at-home wife. It's a good start, but the only mommying I do is for my cats and husband. LOL! I'm taking courses to expand my talents in other areas, like photography and I'm a freelance makeup artist for extra spending money.

If I had to go back in time, I would have stayed in college to finish my degree. Someday I know having that piece of paper will come in handy!

If I could go back in time I would have found a way to stay in college..I was only 10 units away from my AA planning on going to law school..Ended up a stay at home mom..Now my credits are so old they don't count anymore..LOL Oh well

Hmmm ................

Depends which day you ask me. I've worked hard and got two degrees - BUT sometimes I just wish I were a stay at home mom with a ton of kids........although I must admit I took a week off not long ago and was home everyday and almost went crazy!!!! I was so bored.

I am so full of ideas and projects that I would like to pursue. I have learned other means of pursuing these "passions".

I work for one of the largest non-profit organizations in the world. I assist with two portfolios of two very dedicated program officers. While what I do is somewhat gratifying, I know for a fact it is not my calling. Problem is bills have to be paid and when you are useto a certain lifestyle then you become somewhat a slave to it. I am a very independant woman and would not have it any other way. Once you start making your own money ....there really is no going back .

If I could go back in time, I would have probably finished school earlier and had my daughter later. Having children takes alot out of your time. I've had to finish school while working full time and being a full time mom, so it was not easy at all. I am actually going to start my masters soon, so we'll see how that plays out.

All the things I have learned the "hard way", I am passing on to my daughter so that she learns from mommy's mistakes.

Although nothing has come easy to me, I feel such a gratification to be able to pat myself on the back and know how hard I have worked.

Originally Posted by KittySkyfish I'm curious to see how many of us are doing what we really dream of. If you could go back in time, would you do things differently so you would have a better career?

This is a very interesting and a good question. I've always wanted to be a career woman since I can remember. My dream was to have a good degree and a high paying/high power job. Talk about desire!
icon_lol.gif
But at around the time I turned 18 the tables turned. I wasn't intrigued by a career anymore. I had just been hired by one of the largest companies in Finland while going to college still and was ready to take on a challenge. Shortly after I was promoted to be a manager I realized that a family is FAR MORE important than any job/career. I got married when I was young and I was ready to be a mom and a wife, to me it meant a real dream coming true. Before having a child we waited and I chose to work full-time and lay more ground work for my career and ended up moving up in the ladder. It was time to start a family though and for me to step down. Today I'm a 100% mom, although I work full time. My son is my top priority and always on my mind when I'm at work. I don't work overtime because my child is more important. No more management jobs for me or career for that matter, just a regular job. Seeing my son's face when I get home is worth more than anything else in the world and no company or job is going to take that away from me.
icon_smile.gif
If I could turn back time I probably would have tried to position myself to be able to work part-time but not to stay home because I want my child to be out in the world from very young. It's a cruel world out there and I want him to learn to deal with people from day one which is the reason he goes to private learning center and has gone there since he was 5 months old. Today at 3 1/2 my child is very social, confident and content child. We have worked so hard as parents to give him the attention he needs and let him know and feel that he is our top priority even though we are not with him all day everyday since we both work. I believe it's all about quality not quantity time with your kids. At least it has worked for us. My favorite motto is "kids should be our first priority not our last". Too many kids are treated like they are the accessory of the family these days not the focal point and they get lost in the action which I think is sad. We try so hard to make sure our child doesn't feet that way.

Take it easy, J-LO
wink.gif

Originally Posted by shoediva

Hmmm ................
Depends which day you ask me. I've worked hard and got two degrees - BUT sometimes I just wish I were a stay at home mom with a ton of kids........although I must admit I took a week off not long ago and was home everyday and almost went crazy!!!! I was so bored.

I am so full of ideas and projects that I would like to pursue. I have learned other means of pursuing these "passions".

I work for one of the largest non-profit organizations in the world. I assist with two portfolios of two very dedicated program officers. While what I do is somewhat gratifying, I know for a fact it is not my calling. Problem is bills have to be paid and when you are useto a certain lifestyle then you become somewhat a slave to it. I am a very independant woman and would not have it any other way. Once you start making your own money ....there really is no going back .

If I could go back in time, I would have probably finished school earlier and had my daughter later. Having children takes alot out of your time. I've had to finish school while working full time and being a full time mom, so it was not easy at all. I am actually going to start my masters soon, so we'll see how that plays out.

All the things I have learned the "hard way", I am passing on to my daughter so that she learns from mommy's mistakes.

Although nothing has come easy to me, I feel such a gratification to be able to pat myself on the back and know how hard I have worked.

For as long as I can remember I wanted to be a Makeup Artist. I worked as one even when I was in high school. I got married at 19 and had a son at 20 & divorced at 21 *nice huh?* When my son was 3 I went to school to become a Licensed Esthetician while working full time. I worked for a short time as an actual Esthetician but I realized that it was only makeup application that I was interested in & just focused on that. I did real well, I worked in the Boston area so it was a great area for that. Long story short I met a great guy and moved to PA to be closer to him. The first day there I got into a bad car accident & from that I got nerve damage in my right hand. So working as a Makeup Artist was no longer an option. I got a job at a world class Day Spa, worked my way up to the Systems Manager. Three years ago I decided to pack it all in, I was SO overworked & stressed! Moved to Va Bch and now work at one of the best *IMO* Salon/Day Spa in the area. Recently, I have been also working as a consultant to a software company that created a program for Salon/Spa's.

So I love what I'm doing at this point, I would love it if my area got a world class Day Spa then I would truely be content. While doing all this I managed to raise my son to be a confident, intelligent young man who is now applying to several colleges in the Northeast *so proud of him*

Great answers Ladies!!! I never in my dreams expected to be retired at 48! I was enrolled in college when I got pregnant with my daughter...my idea was to give her up for adoption and go on with my life...HOWEVER....I took one look at her and took her home and raised her for the next 18 years...she went on to college and I struggled to make ends meet. Single Mom...never married till I was 44...didn't want to compliacate the situation. Anyway, she went onto the University of Michigan, pre-med, bacame a successful Doctor of Research. She is now 32. I am now 51 and am traveling the country with my hubby in a Motorhome...we just winter in the South right now but will be selling our home to fulltime it. I am a gypsy at heart. If I weren't a gypsy, I would be an Interior Decorator...and a damn good one! LOL Thanks for the question...it was a good one!

Latest posts

Back