Random observation...

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wish I could buy mac for the prices you all mentioned here. I think it depends on how you buy your make up. If you like to buy many items at once, the few dollars difference on each item do add up into a large amount. Myself as I don't have the opertunity to wear makeup on a daily basis, thus I use less of it. I tend to only buy big when there is a sale or incentive. Usually I will buy one item at at time and then for me Mac is afordable. Yesterday I hapened to be passing though Chatswood and I popped into Myer as I was sent a voucher for some free Chanel perfume and I went over to the Mac counter and bought one pot of fluidline only. I will not probably visit mac for another month or so. I buy Mac one item at a time and so my mac collection is slowly growing
smile.gif

Here in Sweden there is not so much difference between MAC and DS brands. (The makeup selection over all is quite poor - we don't have Benefit, Bobbi Brown, Stila, L'Oreal HIP, Jane, NYX, Milani...) So for me, the best choice with regards to both quality and price is MAC.

Originally Posted by Aquilah /img/forum/go_quote.gif Okay, so some of us strictly use high-end, some low-end, and some a variety. I realized something the other day while in CVS: There isn't that HUGE of a difference in price on some DS brands and MAC.
For example, my Revlon l/s was $9.99... MAC is only $4 more... My L'Oreal Floral Affair Blush was $11.69, compared to $17.50 for a MAC potted blush. Not to mention, the L'Oreal COH Quads were $8.99... Granted a MAC quad is $36, but still, that's a savings of $20 compared to if you buy 4 MAC e/s separately. Then, mascara... L'Oreal Voluminous is like $8 in CVS... Compared to MAC Plush Lash for $11! (Okay, I know Chanel Inimitable and Diorshow are WAY more!)

So, this has me thinking... Is it really THAT much more to just get high-end items? Or at least MAC? I see people post on here that they can't afford it, but at the same time, you really can almost. Ya know? Just a little observation I've made over time, and figured I'd voice it.

Yes, there's a big difference, in savings. I'd spend my money on the cheaper brand because it works just as great sometimes even better then the 'high-end' brand. Plus, I'll be saving money. Who wouldn't want to save money! Unless, you just have to buy MAC or Dior otherwise you'll die...pfff!
vogel.gif

Well here it is a bigger difference. For me, it's $18 for a lipstick or eyeshadow and it's like $9 for Revlon. I still prefer higher end stuff because I use it a lot more though.

I would like to get MAC because it is just as cheap as ds brands. My problem is the nearest mall that sells high end brands is a 3 hour drive. The only way I can order is online and I hate paying for shipping.

i think this is where we can be more choosy. I used to just buy and buy ds brands and never be really happy. At least on high end I can try first many items and that saves alot of money unstead of going on a buying spree and still not being happy. Nowdays I am most more choosy try to research the foundations etc so I dont end up with so much that I will throw away or give to the nieces to play with (they are still young)

Originally Posted by perlanga2005 /img/forum/go_quote.gif It seems like you can't get MAC on sale.. I know I wait for my Maybelline mascara to go for $4 on sale, which is about a $10 difference if I was to go get a mac mascara. Haha...I'm the exact same way...that makes drugstore purchases even more worth it!!! For instance, I LOVE WnW waterproof liners, and they're usually like $3.99...I got them BOGO a couple weeks ago which makes them like 2 bucks each! Then my Revlon foundation which I'm very loyal to...$12.99 BOGO as well...so I don't feel too guilty about buying them...
smile.gif
MAC is never on sale...psh...I don't think they know what "sale" means...LOL. Unless you go to a CCO. The closest CCO where I live is about an hour away. As for other drugstore e/s, let's just say I didn't know what "pigmentation" meant until I discovered NYX.
smile.gif

Funny because I made the same observation the other day. Mac really isn't that much more expensive and its better quality. And as for a high end product, Mac is fairly priced.

I still prefer higher end brands because they always have testers. I can't buy make-up if I can't see it on my skin. When you have a very light golden olive skin tone, what you see in the package will not be what you get on your skin. I also buy make-up at costume shops and beauty supply stores. Ben Nye and Kryolan are about the same price as MAC but I know I'm never gonna get a watered down formula.

Back