"Rant" about being self conscious

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Beauty is on the eyes of the beholder, and what strikes you as beautiful is probably the things that aren't common where you live. Here (on the north of the country), Jessica Alba wouldn't get another look (because she'd look really plain - beautiful, but like other 1000 brazilian beautiful girls) , while you would be worshipped like a goddess (guys LOVE blonde girls here, and with blue/green eyes, they become doormats).

Originally Posted by Lia /img/forum/go_quote.gif LOL at the self analyzing stuff - i do it a lot also.
ITA with everyone... And the criticizing part, it's the hardest to overcome .

I'm your fan and i want to have your hair (i want to shave mine, it looks yucky, and i don't have any patience to spend hours drying it and then putting rollers at the points because they're flat straight
tocktock.gif
).

Remember one thing: Gisele is 'perfect' because of photoshopping - she smokes, do you know? In no time she'll be filled with wrinkles around the mouth
laughing.gif

And Adriana Lima has big front teeth.

I agree! Plus I have seen pictures of Gisele without her makeup. She's still very pretty, but isn't the G we see in magazines.

You are naturally georgeous without a team of makeup artists - which is what all models, etc have.

Seriously, when I first joined up for MUT, I checked out peoples profiles to kind of get to know the people on here. The first thing I thought was how pretty you are.

P.S. I too get upset about how I have changed since my early 20's. I used to be skinny, tan and I didn't have acne scars.......I think about it all the time.

Originally Posted by Andi /img/forum/go_quote.gif It doesn´t even help that I also model sometimes since-I always seem to concentrate on the flaws that I have, and I look at supermodels and think "ok most people think I´m pretty, but it would be so nice to be as flawless as Gisele, Adriana etc"
Ok on a scale from 1-10, how screwed up am I?
kopfkratz.gif

go back to your antidepressants right now! you're so screwed up
tocktock.gif
(just kidding
brsh.gif
handkuss.gif
)You're wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy prettier than those girls!

Im not kissing your ass, girl. Everytime I see that Heidi Klum *****, she reminds me of you. And let me tell you, you're one of my MUT crushes
eusa_whistle.gif

Originally Posted by Andi /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yup I know I should be thankful. I am very thankful for my health, that´s why I am getting more and more health-conscious every day. But I was always critisized by my dad since I can remember, and I guess that kinda stuck with me cause now I do it to myself. It´s a really hard thing to shake off since all I ever got was "but you´re not xyz enough" etc. Maybe that´s why I´m also so into perfecting my appearance, to get attention from men? Since I never got it from my dad?

lol...Little Miss Freud in the making here, I like to analyze myself
moa.gif

Ugh, sounds like me... my parents don't say nothing to me now but when I was younger my dad was always "you would look much prettier if you just lost weight or you did this or that" and I get compliments when I wear makeup, and wished I did without it. So I feel you... and my dad suffers from depression and my sister bi-polarism and I'm afraid I might all of a sudden get that. I too feel those bouts of depression during the winter time... "winter blues" perhaps? And what makes it worst is not going out at all and sluming around the house being lazy.
So you're okay with those feelings, ya know? I tell myself that too... it's ok to be caught up in my appearance. I guess you can say it's better to care than not to care. I just try not to get depressed about it, I always think of a better outcome like... "well, one day it'll happen and I'll be happy".

Since you said you're feeling better about other insecurities you were telling your therapist then go on with this insecurity. It's all in our heads. I do believe it had to do with what's being said about/towards us when we're younger that affects how we see ourselves when we're older. You have no idea how screwed I feel about a lot of things that has happen to me when I was younger...

Maybe there is a program there that helps with building self-confidence? I've wanted to join one but don't know where there is one... or maybe getting more ready for school instead of just going in without nothing on? I do that when I feel like shit.. I put a bit more effort in my makeup and such, kinda ruins the purpose of feeling better about yourself without makeup, lmao but like I like the attention. Maybe perfecting the natural look with makeup will help... plus, dude Anders baby - I swear you don't need much to bring out your features. I'd personally be staring at you often if I were there.

Haha about Freud. Psychology was my favorite class in College, still kept the textbook and all. Id versus Ego... great times.

I ramble too much. Prolly didn't make sense at all. Let us know how you're feeling now!

10! cuz your so pretty!! But maybe its the fact u got off your meds.. you were fine before right?

It really can suck having a handsome boyffriend (I know)

keep your chin up keep us updated

hugs

Originally Posted by Ricci /img/forum/go_quote.gif 10! cuz your so pretty!! But maybe its the fact u got off your meds.. you were fine before right?
It really can suck having a handsome boyffriend (I know)

keep your chin up keep us updated

hugs

hm well I had "ugly days" on my meds too, but they never really brought me down that much. And yeah having a handsome man can suck! I think he is sooo much better looking than me, he is perfect in every way...and I HATE it that he gets so much attention from females of all ages. hugs back

Originally Posted by CellyCell /img/forum/go_quote.gif Ugh, sounds like me... my parents don't say nothing to me now but when I was younger my dad was always "you would look much prettier if you just lost weight or you did this or that" and I get compliments when I wear makeup, and wished I did without it. So I feel you... and my dad suffers from depression and my sister bi-polarism and I'm afraid I might all of a sudden get that. I too feel those bouts of depression during the winter time... "winter blues" perhaps? And what makes it worst is not going out at all and sluming around the house being lazy.
So you're okay with those feelings, ya know? I tell myself that too... it's ok to be caught up in my appearance. I guess you can say it's better to care than not to care. I just try not to get depressed about it, I always think of a better outcome like... "well, one day it'll happen and I'll be happy".

Since you said you're feeling better about other insecurities you were telling your therapist then go on with this insecurity. It's all in our heads. I do believe it had to do with what's being said about/towards us when we're younger that affects how we see ourselves when we're older. You have no idea how screwed I feel about a lot of things that has happen to me when I was younger...

Maybe there is a program there that helps with building self-confidence? I've wanted to join one but don't know where there is one... or maybe getting more ready for school instead of just going in without nothing on? I do that when I feel like shit.. I put a bit more effort in my makeup and such, kinda ruins the purpose of feeling better about yourself without makeup, lmao but like I like the attention. Maybe perfecting the natural look with makeup will help... plus, dude Anders baby - I swear you don't need much to bring out your features. I'd personally be staring at you often if I were there.

Haha about Freud. Psychology was my favorite class in College, still kept the textbook and all. Id versus Ego... great times.

I ramble too much. Prolly didn't make sense at all. Let us know how you're feeling now!

still feeling kinda "meh". On top of that Shawn is out of state for 3 weeks, he´s doing a training program for a specific job. If he passes the training and gets accepted I will have to post another long ass thread in the Advice forum..that´s all I´ll say for now. I´m secretly wishing he doesn´t get accepted for the job though.
scared.gif

Gosh you´re so right about how childhood can screw you up. I thank god that I wasn´t beaten or abused as a child! But still, what happen in my childhood screwed me up enough...I learned so much about this in therapy.

I think depression/low self esteem also runs in my family (only the females though). My mom has had some depressive episodes, and my grandma is a nervous wreck...on serveral meds and all, but years of living with my grandpa has killed her emotionally...hm..if I think about it it´s not in the genes then, it´s the men they´re with that bring them down so much!!!

...puhh, another great reason to leave this country and marry my perfect man that treats me like a princess.

And hey I´m the same about the compliments with makeup. Or maybe it´s cause when I wear makeup I´m much more confident that the confidence shows? I have never gotten any compliments when I wear no or very little makeup, but when I throw on everything there is I apparently look much better...makes me think, ya know?

anyways, enough with the rambling from my part. I need a little afternoon nap
brsh.gif

Andi,

I think you are beautiful on the inside and outside.
smile.gif

I know how you feel. I get plenty of days where I feel ugly etc and then it passes. When you feel depressed it makes it more difficult, I know that myself.

I agree with Celly. Comments made in your childhood can affect you as you grow up. You try to ignore or block those past comments but its not always easy to do.

Were here for you. Hugs Andi.
smile.gif

Andi, I do agree with everyone else and I know it is really hard for you and it will take some time,but I really believe you will once have the confidence and really see yourself for the beautiful girl you are.*big hugs*

idiot.gif
I'm wondering if a slap to your face will make you see how beautiful you are. I'm just shocked at how someone so pretty can be so sad. It doesn't make sense. I don't think you should compare yourself to anyone, really. You've got your unique and not to mention, "perfect" face. I can guarantee you these women you 'oogle' over are thinking the same thing. I'd be livid if my significant other went out with models. But, that's why I wouldn't date a model in the first place, so that I wouldn't be put into those situations. If anything, you should just laugh at it all and don't let anyone get you down.

Originally Posted by jmgjmg623 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
idiot.gif
I'm wondering if a slap to your face will make you see how beautiful you are. I'm just shocked at how someone so pretty can be so sad. It doesn't make sense. I don't think you should compare yourself to anyone, really. You've got your unique and not to mention, "perfect" face. I can guarantee you these women you 'oogle' over are thinking the same thing. I'd be livid if my significant other went out with models. But, that's why I wouldn't date a model in the first place, so that I wouldn't be put into those situations. If anything, you should just laugh at it all and don't let anyone get you down. lol yeah well maybe I need to be slapped. I think what gets to me most is that I´m so far away from my fiancé who happens to think I look perfect and flawless. I miss getting compliments like that and I miss seeing it in his eyes how I wished I´d be able to see myself.
Well since I occasionally model as well I know it´s not always easy for him either, it´s natural to get jealous in those situations...especially when you´re so far away from each other

I'm hoping you didn't take the slap seriously...lol. I'm not too sure what to say about you and your fiance being so far away from eachother. From experience I can't handle long distance relationships. That's why I broke it off with my ex who was stationed in S.Korea. I don't regret a bit of it though because I met the love of my life and now we're having a daughter.
five.gif
I'm really curious though, why do you need to hear it so often?

Everyone has their insecurities, I'm sure even models like Gisele or Adriana have days when they don't feel great about themselves and feel self conscious about certain things. Nobody is perfect!! I can relate as well, I tend to compare myself to others, but I realized that doesn't get me anywhere. I'm a perfectionist when it comes to anything, but I've realized, no one is perfect, and I have to either keep hating my flaws and finding more I don't like or accept them, because those flaws are what makes me ME! Beauty is a state of mind. I find self affirmations can help a lot, stand in front of the mirror in the morning and tell yourself "I am beautiful" or "I am going to feel good about myself all day" or "I feel very happy about the way I look", "I accept my flaws".The thing with self affirmations is that even though you don't believe the statements are true at first, eventually they will stick in your sub-conscious and help you to overcome any negative feelings about yourself.I find it really helps.Give it a try for a week or so, try the self affirmations day and night, if it doesn't help, at the end of the week, you can toss the idea, but give it a try, I find it really helps!

I love this quote by Sophia Loren.....

“Beauty is how you feel inside, and it reflects in your eyes. It is not something physical.â€

Originally Posted by CandyApple /img/forum/go_quote.gif Everyone has their insecurities, I'm sure even models like Gisele or Adriana have days when they don't feel great about themselves and feel self conscious about certain things. Nobody is perfect!! I can relate as well, I tend to compare myself to others, but I realized that doesn't get me anywhere. I'm a perfectionist when it comes to anything, but I've realized, no one is perfect, and I have to either keep hating my flaws and finding more I don't like or accept them, because those flaws are what makes me ME! Beauty is a state of mind. I find self affirmations can help a lot, stand in front of the mirror in the morning and tell yourself "I am beautiful" or "I am going to feel good about myself all day" or "I feel very happy about the way I look", "I accept my flaws".The thing with self affirmations is that even though you don't believe the statements are true at first, eventually they will stick in your sub-conscious and help you to overcome any negative feelings about yourself.I find it really helps.Give it a try for a week or so, try the self affirmations day and night, if it doesn't help, at the end of the week, you can toss the idea, but give it a try, I find it really helps!

I love this quote by Sophia Loren.....

“Beauty is how you feel inside, and it reflects in your eyes. It is not something physical.â€

iagree.gif

Awww don't feel bad!! I feel like that all the time! And I have reason to feel that way lol! I think you're just having a bad day and to be honest, if my husband is going to hang out with a bunch of models than seriously, I'd feel even worse too.

I think everyone once in awhile we all feel like that. I use more mu now than I did 3 years ago and looking back, I envy how good my face was; how youthfull and even toned it was! I'm only 20 and my skin looks like crap, concealer is my best friend and I don't do anything to glam myself off.

I work all week, spend my weekends at home bc there's so much to do, haven't gone out with my husband in over 2 years (like a date), haven't cut my hair in over two years or even fixed it up in that long! I don't do anything and then there you go looking flawless and I envy you! lol Seriously, you just need to boost your self-esteem! Working out is a great way to do that. Just don't focus on these minor flaws that none of girls here can see bc all you're doing is making us more jealous
wink.gif

Back