[RANT] Why do companies use other peoples images without permission?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's also a good idea to write legal disclaimers/ToU policies to protect yourself beforehand. A lot of sites already have that in place (including CC usage policies which do allow for credited sharing). I know one of the first things my best friend and I did when we set up our blog -- before we even wrote our profiles -- was to write the legal disclaimers. That way, if you have them in place, like no commercial usage allowed and we will take legal action if you do, you can protect yourself legally if things like that do happen to you.

I don't know if the poor Brazilian blogger had a ToU in place or if companies just want to disclaim language barrier as an excuse, but I think if you have things like that set up, you're a lot less likely to have these things happen -- or, you can sue if it does :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I can sorta read her site and she doesn't have any ToU at all, but then again it doesn't seem like she updates her blog...she has like 10 posts or something, I know it's still unfair for her to get her images stolen and what not, but it will probably keep on happening cuz that blog seems pretty abandoned :S

She use to have lots more but ended up removing a whole slew of posts and left those up. Why? No clue. But she also locked her Twitter account and stopped posting on her Facebook or her posts are now hidden to the public (since it was her personal FB wall in the first place and not a fan page). My guess is that she got fed up with her stuff being stolen because that particular look above was done in 2011 and shortly after that girl at Polyvore claimed she did it and from there it went around the 'net. Within a few weeks or so from that look stolen the majority of posts were gone and she stopped blogging. Anything could have happened really but my guess she just got fed up with thieves.

Originally Posted by wadedl /img/forum/go_quote.gif

He did not pursue it at the time. He has mainly done photography for fun. It was bugging me so much I could not remember what magazine. It was 944 and I found the pic on facebook.

Even then, hobby photography cannot be abused for commercial purposes like that. It's terrible that that company told him that when he called them -- i personally would've pursued legal action.

Even photosharing sites like Flickr allow you implement broad sharing disclaimers -- all of my work has been set to no deravatives, noncommericial, and attribution (which is also what I use for my blog). I mean, I've been a webdesign for 10++ years, at this point, if people steal coding from me or use my graphics without credit, it doesn't bother me as much it should. It does grate my nerves when things I did for fun and free are used to make money by some other jerks though, because it's happened to so many of my friends. That's why I get so  upset about it. :

Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

She use to have lots more but ended up removing a whole slew of posts and left those up. Why? No clue. But she also locked her Twitter account and stopped posting on her Facebook or her posts are now hidden to the public (since it was her personal FB wall in the first place and not a fan page). My guess is that she got fed up with her stuff being stolen because that particular look above was done in 2011 and shortly after that girl at Polyvore claimed she did it and from there it went around the 'net. Within a few weeks or so from that look stolen the majority of posts were gone and she stopped blogging. Anything could have happened really but my guess she just got fed up with thieves.
ohhh that makes sense...I was wondering how did she get such a huge fan base 2k+ followers with 9 posts only XD

When it comes to stuff like this there is NO MISTAKES... 

Any company that steals images from bloggers and asks for no permission or gives no credits, I never want to be associated with them and I truly to write a long e-mail complaining. 

I personally believe that no serious company would be have in this matter, any "cosmetics brand" that does this is NOT a serious company!

I personally have already sued "companies" that have in 2011 stolen my images for copyright claims and won. 

That is why I now always use watermarks and plan to make bigger water makers 

I have a pretty good Disclosure & ToU on Glamorable, you guys are free to copy it to your blogs if you want. I copied it and slightly modified it from elsewhere but I believe my version is better than the original :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by OiiO /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have a pretty good Disclosure & ToU on Glamorable, you guys are free to copy it to your blogs if you want. I copied it and slightly modified it from elsewhere but I believe my version is better than the original :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
Ooooh you're running into risky territory there. >: I'd avoid copying other people's writing for reasons that copying words can also be plagarism. I mean, in terms of coding a website -- it doesn't matter if you change the image or colours or width or size, if you used someone else's code (words) that's technically thievery and I've hunted down people who've done that to me. It's not a great experience, and always leaves a bitter taste in my mouth.

It's nice for you to offer, but people should probably just read what they have to get the idea of the sections they should cover, and then write their own. I mean, I'm not a legal scholar by any means, but that's pretty easy to do.

Oh I wasn't copying someone else's original work, it was copied from a website that offers free disclaimers for blogs :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Oh I wasn't copying someone else's original work, it was copied from a website that offers free disclaimers for blogs :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
Oh, that's awesome! I'm glad there are services out there for people and that you're paying it forward by letting other people use yours :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I wouldn't have a clue on how to write my own ToU... Anastasia, mind if I ask to get that link for my blog pls? :3

Originally Posted by beautymadn3ss /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I wouldn't have a clue on how to write my own ToU... Anastasia, mind if I ask to get that link for my blog pls? :3
It can't put a link here, but you can copy it from my blog (link in the siggy). It's the right-most tab above the sliding pictures on the main page :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Or you can compose your own by googling "free disclosure policy generator", that's how I made mine. There are thousands of websites providing this service and I collected bits and pieces from the best of them :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Thank you :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> the google search words are major help :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I think I might have to work on it :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> My blog is not major or relevant, but   I've invested time and energy in it and it's actually one of the few things I can call my own, so I wouldn't want anybody "stealing" from me, you know what I mean?

Originally Posted by beautymadn3ss /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thank you :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> the google search words are major help :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I think I might have to work on it :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> My blog is not major or relevant, but   I've invested time and energy in it and it's actually one of the few things I can call my own, so I wouldn't want anybody "stealing" from me, you know what I mean?
You're welcome! I guess I should have started with the google search suggestion to begin with because things got a bit awkward when I suggested you guys copy from my site lol. Sorry for being such a weirdo! 
crazy.gif

doh.gif

Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I know I'm guilty of using other people's photos and not crediting them, I can't say I NEVER have because that would be a lie. I just wonder what in the world the employees of these companies are thinking. I really wish I could remember the nail company that most recently used a bunch of nail bloggers images and edited out the watermarks from their images to use in their ads. I know a couple of the nail bloggers in question whose work was used without permission. Then there is the case of China Glaze using - albeit it was the artist they hired that stole the work - of another person. (I'm pretty sure there's a thread in the nail section about that.)
Sinful Colors

Quote: Originally Posted by beautymadn3ss /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It can't put a link here, but you can copy it from my blog (link in the siggy). It's the right-most tab above the sliding pictures on the main page :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Or you can compose your own by googling "free disclosure policy generator", that's how I made mine. There are thousands of websites providing this service and I collected bits and pieces from the best of them :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Did you use http://disclosurepolicy.org/ ? I've used them in the past.

Back