*Rant!!!*

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
here's my story... i got a new job 3 weeks ago, and am working fulltime. today, my manager raised his voice at me. what a ****ing tool i thought. mind you, i'm not the only person he has raised his voice on... he also constantly raises his voice on customers and other employees. basically, this is how it all went down... he kept on asking me to do something but i just wanted to make sure that's how it had to be done and then he basically raised his voice on me saying how i've been working here for a few weeks now and how i should know blah blah. i raised my voice back at him(i don't take BS from tools) and told him that i was ONLY shown how to do this TWICE and he's never given me a chance to learn how to do it on my own so how else would i know, i'm not psyhic.

was I wrong to raise my voice at him? honestly, if he can't handle the stress of being a manager then maybe he shouldn't be one. duh. just a suggestion. but honestly, i don't let tools like that boss me around, so i usually defend myself especially if i know i did NOTHING wrong.:bs:

Well I know from experience that raising your voice at your boss tends not to go over all that well. I think your boss was being a jerk, but even when that happens you have to be able to control your desire to fight back. I just got my annual review and everything was great except for 2 things...my boss basically put in writing that I need to adjust my attitude immediately OR ELSE, pretty much accusing me of insubordination, even though I did nothing wrong except get pissed when he constantly didn't listen to me about what my department needs & disrespected me. BUT, I have to work with what I've got because I could be fired otherwise, even though I received "excellents" in several categories. Plus the personality conflict had totally killed my chances of ever getting employee of the month.

So yeah, just a cautionary tale. Try to control the impulse to fight back if you like your job overall. Managers who are jerks like that usually act that way because they are insecure themselves.

your boss sounds like a ****wad. haha :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

but anyhoots, i feel as though if i let him talk to me this way then he'll keep on taking advantage of me, i want to stand up for myself so this doesn't happen again. i don't think bosses have a right to treat their employees this way, am i not right on this? yes he can tell me what to do, when to do it, how to do it, BUT he has no right to raise his voice at me.

i quit my job a few years back because of managers and asst managers BS. i just found out i was preggo and my doc told me because i have some slight glucose problem that i might faint or pass out, so to be careful. so anyway i was at work 9am and i had to check in about 200 movies from the over night bin, well after that had to check every move on the floor and shelves to make sure all our records were correct. (i worked at BLOCKBUSTER) well imeddiately i felt sick and dizzy, boom i fainted, i asked my shift manager if i could leave if i found someone to work, well that hefer was no like, you need to get up and work. to make a long story short, the hefer pretty much treated me like shit on a daily basis and got rude and loud w/ me in front of customers, so i cussed ahole out, and quit.

you should stand up for yourself if someone is treating unfairly just because they think they can... job or not, your still a person w/ feelings and respect, etc... GO GIRL!

go rlise!

i know where you're coming from. your a$$hole manager had NO right to treat you that way either, ESPECIALLY when YOUR health is concerned.

i can't even believe how can these people even be managers! it's simple, if you can't handle the stress of being a manager, you're doing a horrible job and the job is definetely not for you.

and he has also told me that i should come an hour earlier. that's when i thought hm how about no, if you want me to come earlier, SCHEDULE me earlier. i have OTHER things that i have to do, my unprofessional "job" is not my FIRST priority.

If your boss raises his voice with everyone, you know not to take it personally.

However, it is difficult not to speak loudly back to him.

This is how I see things: You've only been there a few weeks and you know how he behaves. Since everyone seems to tolerate him, he isn't going to change.

Is it worth working for a boss that talks rudely to you and others?

I don't think you were wrong to raise your voice. I mean, your right, don't take shit from anybody. But I think that if he does it all the time you guys should get together and talk to him about it. My mom had a similar situation and finally she got together with other co-workers and spoke to their boss. Still, he didn't listen so they went straight to administration. Boy did they take care of him!!!!

a friend of mine has the same problem.

She works at the lawfirm, and her boss is an a**hole, but she can't do much about it since he's the MAIN boss (hotshot attorney) and everyone else tolerates him.

It all boils down to whether the job is worth keeping, although I don't advise on quitting until you find another job that appreciates you or a better solution! Good luck!

I hate bosses like that, but I don't think it's a good idea ot raise your voice back at him or you could be accused of insubordination. Have you considered changing jobs? Jobs with bosses like that are surely stressful!

Personally, I think you were wrong to raise your voice. There is a way of standing up for yourself without getting into a screaming match with your boss. In your eyes, you may be standing up for yourself...in your boss' eyes, you are being rude and belligerant...and if you do it in front of customers, then it makes it a double whammy.

I've been an employee of a bad boss, and let me tell you that when I was yelled at for no reason and turned around and stuck up for myself without giving attitude or raising my voice, I was supported more by the customers in the store (two of whom wrote letters to the main office when they found out I had been written up anyways).

Just because your boss is being an asshat doesn't give you the right to be an asshat right back. Keep your wits about you, even if you are angry, but do it with couth. You'll get much further in the business world if you don't get into the habit of going off on your boss just because he (or she) went off on you.

You have to document everything that happens and then take it to Associate Relations or HR and they will put that on his file and ivestigate. In case this happens again, then they will be aware. On the mean time just make sure you control your emotions and just DOCUMENT. This is really important.

Managers are not the only ones that can give a bad review.

I dont know what you mean by raising your voice but if he raises voice to employees and customers well he has problems. If i was in your position i would probably say something because thats just inapropriate behavior.

Why must there be so many people in this world who are total power trippers? I know of far too many bosses who like to act like war lords, and tramp all over their employees like they're on the battle ground...it's so sad.

Anyway, I am sorry you have to deal with someone like this, and I hope you are able to work things out so that you can go to your job in peace. Although I personally would not have spoke out like that I still say good for you:)

honestly, i would've just continued what i was doing and then immediately call head office or hr about it after. raising your voice gives him ammo against you. but i understand that when $hit like that happens, your emotions get the best of you.

I agree with VenusGoddess, and TeresaMachado. Don't snap at the beligerent dip$hit, but do record everything that dork does.

I have to agree that there are people who really shouldn't be put into positions of power, because most people simply cannot handle the responsibility (a perfect example being your current boss).

Back