Real MAC or FAKE MAC???

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I purchased 2 fakes which I didn't know because it was my first time buying Mac, foundation went on nicely no reaction for a week already
this pic is the original with out effects I'm wearing the Mac lady GaGa foundation, pro long wear Concealer (the real one), with Ben nye I have been using the fake Mac lady GaGa for a week no reactions, should I continue buying it, its $15, for the compact $10 they sale this at the biggest flea market here in GA

You take the risk but the fact is when it's a counterfeit product you're supporting an illegal (it's a Felony in the US to sell counterfeit products). You don't know what's in it. I believe it was Inside Edition who did a story on counterfeit products which found that many counterfeit products contained lead, fecal matter along with bacteria. Buy and use at your own risk. Personally, I wouldn't buy it because there are legitimate products on the market that you can buy for the same amount of money. Why pay that much for a fake when you can buy a legitimate non-MAC product for the same or less?

Usually in terms of buying off ebay or such, fake MAC means that it's not really MAC in container nor product. You buy it believing that you'll get MAC, and you receive a fake instead.  Because you don't even know who made it, you won't know if it's safe, clean, or good quality.  (Think trick-or-treating and getting a Snickers bar vs getting some homemade chocolate covered sweet from a stranger...you really have no idea if it'll taste any good or if it's even safe to eat.)
But isn't it true that if you order any makeup off Ebay or other places on the Internet other than the actual manufacturer, you don't know if it is safe or clean anyway? That's a risk of purchasing online. And, ethically, purchasing fake anything deprives the original company of profits. It would be like someone stealing your idea and making money off of it.

That's true. You do take the risk but EBay is known for people selling counterfeit products which is why if you type in mac cosmetics the vast majority of products are fake. Personally I think it's TOO much of a risk to take because you don't know what's IN counterfeit products.

I'm pretty judgy about people who knowingly purchase counterfeit makeup because I feel like you have complete disregard for your health or unknowing to what you're putting on your face. I'd rather get one real lip glass for $15 than 5 fake ones for the same price. Or, I'd even rather purchase 4 drugstore items. Those are FDA-approved and safe to put on your face. You can request a list of ingredients (if not included) & get them. If you buy off some random vendor, you may never have your questions answered and could be putting God-knows-what on your face. That's not a risk I'd be willing to take. Even if I didn't have a bad reaction, I would discontinue use and never purchase from that person again. I wouldn't willingly want to participate in that illegal (and dangerous) activity.... Who knows how that stuff was made. 
sadno.gif

Originally Posted by MakeupofDesire /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have purchased both authentic and fake MAC products from Ebay.  I have to honestly say that there really isn't a difference! Still very pigmented and applies and blends nicely. What's wrong with that? NOTHING! You get to save your money for more products!! The thing that you have to worry about with fake MAC is making sure that the sender is trustworthy enough to actually send your order! You don't need to worry about the quality of the product, it really can pass for real, in my experience. I've saved lots of money and I have lots of products. (most are authentic tho).
I agree with your theory but I wonder about the ingredients that is why I never buy the fake MAC stuff

Originally Posted by AndreaRenee /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I don't really see the point in knowingly buying fake Mac, if you don't want to spend a lot of money why not buy good drugstore products?

At least then you know what you're getting and you're not putting possible unhygienic/unsafe products on your skin, or supporting someone who's scamming others.

If I bought a product that ended up being fake, I would take it as a loss and throw it out.
I completely agree. Its all just people wanting to say "I own Mac". But they really just own fake MAC. Its like buying a fake designer handbag. Its fake, not real so there is nothing special about it. I would rather buy a quality product with a corporation standing behind it then a counterfeit product or one that has something wrong with it.

Also I think a lot of people are not realizing how cheap pigments are to purchase wholesale. They might not have the MAC name on them, but its most likely what people are getting in their fake MAC purchases (except with a markup so the seller can make a profit).

I'll never understand the point of buying fake mac if you know you're buying fake mac. If you're sincerely looking for cheaper makeup, then go to a place like Inglot where at least you don't have to worry about what random fake manufacturer in whatevercountry is putting into the product you're buying. Besides, MAC has been building up a bad reputation as of late for repromoting the same things multiple times a year and bumping up the prices. Why in heavens would you want fake MAC knowing this?

Either buy real stuff or buy from another brand. It's that simple. Besides, no matter how good your fake is, anyone who likes mac will be able to tell you that you own a fake. So it's fooling no one.

Originally Posted by ScarletNight /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'll never understand the point of buying fake mac if you know you're buying fake mac. If you're sincerely looking for cheaper makeup, then go to a place like Inglot where at least you don't have to worry about what random fake manufacturer in whatevercountry is putting into the product you're buying. Besides, MAC has been building up a bad reputation as of late for repromoting the same things multiple times a year and bumping up the prices. Why in heavens would you want fake MAC knowing this?

Either buy real stuff or buy from another brand. It's that simple. Besides, no matter how good your fake is, anyone who likes mac will be able to tell you that you own a fake. So it's fooling no one.
Originally Posted by 19ten20 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I completely agree. Its all just people wanting to say "I own Mac". But they really just own fake MAC. Its like buying a fake designer handbag. Its fake, not real so there is nothing special about it. I would rather buy a quality product with a corporation standing behind it then a counterfeit product or one that has something wrong with it.

Also I think a lot of people are not realizing how cheap pigments are to purchase wholesale. They might not have the MAC name on them, but its most likely what people are getting in their fake MAC purchases (except with a markup so the seller can make a profit).

I SO TOTALLY AGREEEEE.

[/img][/img]
ordered at maccosmetics.com is this real?? Barcode is a sticker so is the letter the number of color

Originally Posted by hvnlyflwr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ordered at maccosmetics.com is this real?? Barcode is a sticker so is the letter the number of color
If you ordered it from www.maccosmetics.com then it's real since that's M•A•C's website.

ok so the color i got nw18 turned out to be lighter then my face, its hard to really tell without it being up close and personal. im a tan color and in the summer im a little darker, what color should i go for in the mineralized foundation??

How much lighter is the foundation than your skin? Maybe you can do a return and try going up a few shades? At some point, you should look into getting matched in person, makes it much easier for you to shop.

hya can u please send me some links to where i can buy fake mac makeup as ive had some off a friend and i find them fab and alot cheaper!!!! cheers xx

My cousin referred me to a lady selling MAC at cheap prices, I figured she was a makeup artist or something I didn't know there an underground market selling knock offs! I decided to buy some anyways, I bought 3 brushes, mineralized powder, lipgloss and three lipsticks also a pigment, the quality of the powder was very chalky, the mineralized bronzer was decent, the lipsticks were great but not pigmented like the real stuff, for 8 a lipstick they were a good buy, all in all I'd say buy the real Mac the quality is worth the extra money!

http://www.macmakeupgod.com/ This site is fake right?  I mean obviously those prices are too good to be true and some of the packaging/products don't look right.

I never realized that "fake" brand name makeup was made until reading this thread.  Where have I been haha.

Back