Reasons You Stopped Seeing Your Hairstylist

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by disflylatina /img/forum/go_quote.gif I don't care if i mess up, oh well. At least I didn't pay anyone for it and if I mess up I MESSED UP and I can be unhappy, but it wouldn't matter. AT LEAST I didn't waste money on a hair cut. plus we only really need trims and they charge out of the ASS for a trim. wth? it's unecessary. I so agree! That's why I dye my hair at home. I decided recently to allow my stylist to color it--$80, 3 different dye cycles in one sitting later, I ended up with a color I didn't want (I had a huge leeway as to what was acceptable, so WTH?!). Plus a haircut that made my ends look worse than when they came in (dull scissors?!). I had to go to another salon and attempt to get it fixed--they could only do so much.
I'm still pissed, to have had my time and a large amount of money wasted makes me really livid. This wasn't a random stylist I'd never seen before, I'd been going to her for about 6 months regularly.

Also, I'm sick of people trying to shill products! I get it, you get a commission on what you sell. But I don't need a new shampoo that you "just got in" or a thermal protect spray that "you've been selling a lot of" every single time I come in. Especially when your salon has such a huge mark up! Think almost $80 for a product with a suggested retail value of $50...

But through that bad experience, I found a great new stylist! Doesn't care if I buy my product at the salon or the drugstore, but can recommend products from either. And was really excited when I asked what his normal hours are, and ecstatic when I gave him a generous tip (he definitely deserved it for doing so much damage control).

I've stopped going to stylists in the past because of 1) $$$ 2) poor cuts 3) cutting off more than I want. I just got my hair cut this week and she chopped it off. I can't complain though because it didn't cost me much. My tip to save money on hair cuts is to go to your local hair/cosmetology school and let the students cut it. Aside from the cut being shorter than I wanted, the student did an excellent job and she took her time. No rushing like you get in a real salon where everyone is on the clock and just looking to make $$$.

That's easy... bad styling, scissor happy, insulted my hair even when it was getting much healthier. I only ever went there for relaxers, so I put up with it for a while. Eventually, though, I learned how to style my own hair for free.

I changed because the girl who cut my hair had a baby and stopped working.

So I found someone I liked who did a great job the first 2 times she cut my hair, the third time I went to her one side was shorter than the other, my bangs were uneven it was like what?? I was going to give her another chance but was referred to someone else that a co worker goes to.

This new girl did an amazing job, lets hope she can keep that way or else bye!

Well, the girl I was totally loyal to and went to for six years moved earlier this year.

The guy I went to who worked at a salon I had gone to briefly...it was a bad experience. He was 45 minutes late even acknowledging my presence. I asked him to just thin and trim it. He took off more than I wanted, and didn't thin it out at *all* (my hair is too thick to be manageable without being thinned pretty much every time I get it cut/styled). His hands already reeked of cigarettes (and I'm asthmatic), and he went outside and took a smoke break in the middle of my (already late) appointment. He was so behind that he didn't actually take the time to blow my hair out. He had my stick my head between my legs and ran a blow dryer over it for 45 seconds. Then, he talked about coloring my hair to high heaven and back, which I'm not okay with. At all. My old stylist always joked with me that I needed to be telling people that she colored my hair because my hair color is just naturally sort of different. I walked out of that salon and my hair looked twenty times worse than when I walked in (which was with messy curls, split ends, and awkwardly growing out bangs). I walked out with hair that was already big enough to make me an 80s pop star, into Georgia humidity (which added another two inches). My curls weren't curls but a mass of frizz. Now, I'm stuck without a stylist, I'm straightening my hair most days (which is a pain in the neck. I HATE doing it), and I'm still a little angry that I paid what I would usually pay for a great haircut for something that I could've accomplished myself in the comfort of my own bathroom without paying a penny.

....Yeah. Not cool.

i have never been to a hair stylist. i am one, but i never trust anyone with my hair but me. i have always gotten compliments and i even tapered my hair in the back for some of the do's. my hair is now down to my hips and no one touches my hair. i left my job when i got married. my husband worked night shift. not good to start a marriage that way. he didn't care if i worked or not. i do all my families hair. i am glad for the knowledge and skill but i would never work again in a salon.

I found this new stylist & I like her, but only went to her once so far & that was some mos ago. With money being tight & me starting to dye my roots myself, I'll do my hair myself for a while.

My ideal stylist has these qualities:

- hardly or never late (I honestly never am to my appts)

- will ASK me if I want a certain style or if I want her to make suggestions, but NEVER tells me what to do w/ my own hair

- after he/she sees that I'm a loyal customer, meaning I've been going to her for about a yr, will give me a discount sometimes

- is a pleasant person who'll actually converse w/ me, yet we don't have to talk nonstop

Cost is usually the biggest factor for me. Since my hair has grown quite a bit, I'm thinking of purchasing the CreaClip so I can start doing my own.

Back