"Red" she said doesn't have a proper red lipstick

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by -Liz- /img/forum/go_quote.gif I don't know how well you know mac colors but if you've ever heard of the lipstick "girl about town" its an excellent example of a hot pink that works well on olive skin that is blue based. Also remeber, the things like cool/warm are just guides to help you quickly pick a color when you arent sure of what youre talking about. Sure they may look better on certain skin tones or colors but it doesnt mean that they dont work at all. (For me, melrose mood liiight pink blue based lipstick looks terrible unless i use it with quartz liner)Do i make sense?

I agree. I have an olive tone, and I just tried "girl about town" when I bought it from the Manish collection. It is seriously the most flattering l/s I've ever owned. I'm so happy with it.

I don't know Mac colors well, but I know how to differentiate between a red and a hot pink and what I am seeing in the pic is a hot pink rather than the red that we're used to calling a red. Others seems to reiterate the same point.

I only said it looks closer to a purple because it is a red with a (strong) blue tone and as you know red and blue mixed together becomes a purple. It is not exactly purple, but it is close cuz if you mix blue and red it becomes purplish, and it is definitely not a red that you hear people call red.

For it is namesake, Red she Said should have a true Red not a bluish red and not even an orangy red.

I don't think the warm/cool guides are off and I think people who understand it will achieve the most flattering colors for their tone. For example, I avoid berries and pinks and other blue-based tones on me because they look bad on me and I knew this even before I heard about this warm and cool stuff. So it is not like it is based on nothing.

Now this is a red:

luxlips_024_1vfw.jpg

Liz - I have a similar color to girl about town and yes I can "pull it off" but it doesn't look in accord with my skin tone - it still clashes a bit. Even Ruby Woo has a bit too much pink in it for me to look "natural"

I know red lips aren't natural but when I wear makeup similar to the "Red" She said Promo pics, I look very elegant and pretty - but any pink in the lipstick throws it off and makes it look skanky (for lack of a better word)

I wear reddish pinks to clubs or just when I'm wearing brighter colors, but for a glamorous look that just flows, you will need a true red that matches your skin tone. That's what I mean by a "natural" looking red. I think anyone can pull off any color, but you do need certain hues for certain looks.

The "Red She Said" lipstick looks almost like a cherry-red color. It's still pretty though!

Look HopelessNovice..., on the mac website the colors aren't true to the real color so if THAT is why your going on about the "hot pink" you shouldn't be going on about it unless you've seen the color in person. I NEVER said that the cool/warm thing wasn't true not ONCE but i said it was more of a GUIDE.

In regards to what red should have been in the collection, it's your opinion, ok? anyways, you need to understand that in consideration with your screen name, I was trying to HELP not start something, so please RELAX.

-Coke- of course you need certain hues for certain looks, thats why girl about town was mentioned to be the extreme blue-pink color where m.a.c red was the red in regards to the thread. I totally agree that pink is for a more out there look, i tend to use russian red as my "true red", because it looks elegant, but noone was talking about pink lips looking natural.

Either way back to the thread people...

Relax? It seems you're in a uppity mood and going off like a siren. I am so sorry for expressing my opinion since you the professional expert can only get it right and can't hear any other opinion. Are you working for Mac other than selling used Mac makeup? Because you seem so defensive every time I call the color a hot pink. You need to just cool it, and please don't think that I am clueless because of my username.

im not in an "uppy mood" if you read my first post i was trying to help. If you hadn't noticed, here at makeuptalk we like to help eachother out, and if you don't get that, its not my problem. Its not a matter of "professional opinion" especially considering i wasnt saying anything you said was WRONG to begin with i was just letting you know that just because you see it in cosmo doesn't mean its law. Some people go a long time without trying out a certain color because they have a certain skin tone. I know you in particular may have certain experiences with a certain color and thats fine but all i m trying to say is it's a rule of thumb? Do you understand?

I was not requesting help. Just because hopeless novice is my username, doesn't mean I need people correcting me until I share their opinion. I just disagreed with about the best tone of red lipsticks and how they look on certain people. If you don't agree, just say you don't agree instead of saying the warm/cool guide is for people who don't know what they are talking about. To each her own. But I still think that the Red She said isn't the color red that we so commonly refer to. I don't know why it is such a bid deal that I say that.

Because you took everything the wrong way, look you say i said its for people who don't know what theyre talking about, no i didnt say that i said its a GUIDE for everyone. And nowhere did i ask, imply OR pressure you to "share my opinion" i didn't even express an opinion!!!! All i said is blue toned reds work well on olive skin as well which is considered warm thats NOT an opinion its a fact. Enough now this is stupid, think of me what you will, just understand you will get alot of "advice" on here from people, it's a makeup forum, what counts is how you choose to take it.

Originally Posted by hopeless novice /img/forum/go_quote.gif I was not requesting help. Just because hopeless novice is my username, doesn't mean I need people correcting me until I share their opinion. I just disagreed with about the best tone of red lipsticks and how they look on certain people. If you don't agree, just say you don't agree instead of saying the warm/cool guide is for people who don't know what they are talking about. To each her own. But I still think that the Red She said isn't the color red that we so commonly refer to. I don't know why it is such a bid deal that I say that. -Liz- was just trying to explain the reasoning behind her conclusion. She was not trying to force anyone to "share [her] opinion".
If you don't like "Red" She Said, that's fine. No one's forcing you to. No one's forcing you to complain about it, either. There are plenty of great true reds out there if that's what you prefer. It doesn't have to be a big deal.

Originally Posted by hopeless novice /img/forum/go_quote.gif Are you working for Mac other than selling used Mac makeup?
I think she does work for MAC.
Personally I think the red in the promo is a true red... it just was achieved by using 3 lip products... and not just RSS l/s. I wish RSS itself looked like the promo pic red, because I'm a mom, and I usually don't have time to carefully apply 3 lippies.

thats pretty .. I like it I am gonna get it. And the packaging was supposed to be really pretty with a red stone right? so is the packaging red?

quote=coke;1496634]No I didn't buy it.

Here's a swatch I found (Debby1973 from Specktra)

http://i36.tinypic.com/muj1pu.jpg

Quiet please on top and "Red" she said on bottom.

Quote:
All i said is blue toned reds work well on olive skin as well which is considered warm thats NOT an opinion its a fact. LOOOl now you say it is fact. Okay you're right. The statement "blue toned reds work well on olive skin" is not debatable, it is scientifically proven fact. Okay, okay, you got your point across. No one can disagree with you. But I can't talk with people who cannot see eye to eye. You made this topic into a personal debate and I personally don't have time or interest for this.

Quote:
Personally I think the red in the promo is a true red... it just was achieved by using 3 lip products... and not just RSS l/s. I wish RSS itself looked like the promo pic red, because I'm a mom, and I usually don't have time to carefully apply 3 lippies. Yah, I agree the red in the promo looks like a true red, a really nice one that can work on me. I don't have the money to pay for three lipsticks (a total of 36 dollars right?). What happened to achieving a red lip with just one lip stick. I have not found the one yet, but if you know of one that doesn't have a pink or orangy hint, please tell me. One that costs under $15.
biggrin.gif

Edit: Hmm the red in the promo looks different in this pic,

A case of expert photoediting by the folks of MAC?

The promo on the MAC web site (I like this red)

The same promo on the other web site. Do you guys notice the difference? Or is it just me?

I hope I am not ostracized or considered crazy for pointing this out. I don't have anything against Mac, I just think it is helpful to let people know when you see a discrepancy so that they don't waste money and become disappointed. Okay? K

Awesome Shaundra! Enjoy them! What did you think of everything else in the new collections?

If you ever feel like doing a lip of the day...(lol!) using the three of the lippies together... that would be great. I'm just curious if it looks close to the promo pic.
smile.gif

Back