Red Wine for Skin care?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the post earlier "why is red wine great for the skin?" Red wine has many components that makes it so wonderful for skin! Resveratrol comes from the skin of grapes and is full of antioxidants, protecting the skin by neutralizing free radicals that harm the skin and aid in premature aging. Basically, Resveratrol stimulates collagen synthesis in the skin and acts as an anti-inflammatory. Other components in red wine that make it beneficial for skincare treatments are Grapeseed extracts, alpha-hydroxy-acids, and phytoalexins. These all combine and work together to help accelerate skin healing, improve circulation, strengthen, calm , protect, and soften the skin.

I really like the post mentioned earlier about bathing in red wine to reap the skin care benefits! I was reading up on a recent study published that using red wine for skincare and red wine body treatments have aromatherapy benefits through inhaling the scent of wine. Many believe that it is the aromatic properties in wine that trigger the chemical responses in the brain, while others believe it is purely our association with relaxation. 

Thanks! 

Brittany

It's an interesting topic, do you know the brand Caudalie? It's a french brand that uses the properties of wine (they call it "wine therapy") in all their skincare products. I haven't tried so many of these products though, it's quite an expensive brand.

I have in fact heard of Caudalie they are respectable brand and very popular in the retail market, although it is to my knowledge that they don't actually use wine in their products, but rather the fruit before the fermentation process.

FYI: Many companies that produce wine based skincare actually remove the drinking alcohol from their products so that the wine in the products can offer greater benefits to the skin without interference.

Wow this is great, i got given a bottle of red wine for xmas but i dont drink. lol will try as a toner tonight and maybe a bath too

I had always heard that red wine was helpful if consumed moderately (as in drinking it).  It contains an antioxidant called Resveratrol which is supposed to be helpful.

However applying it topically as a mask or something doesn't seem to make any logical sense and isn't large amount of alcohol in skin products supposed to be bad?  (wine has much more alcohol content than beer btw)       Just wondering..  

I do suppose you get the added benefit of your skin smelling like a winery...   Isn't that attractive?

Originally Posted by magosienne /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It's an interesting topic, do you know the brand Caudalie? It's a french brand that uses the properties of wine (they call it "wine therapy") in all their skincare products. I haven't tried so many of these products though, it's quite an expensive brand.

I´ve used their brightening serum (not sure about the exact name) and boy it was expensive. It smelled nice and it felt luxurious to put in on, but in all reality it only brightened my complexion a teeny bit so of course I didn´t repurchase.

I like Caudalie´s packaging and the philsophy behind their products, but IMO they´re overpriced for what you get. According to Paula Begoun Caudalie´s products don´t even contain a high amount of resveratrol

Yes i agree, way overpriced. I think the only item i didn't think overpriced was their lipbalm, but then it melted in my pocket :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Darla : i don't know if it has such great effects when drunk, the only time that was really true was Ancient Rome, when the rivers were so polluted wine was a better option healthwise.

No I agree getting drunk is decidedly unhealthy to the body.   (not to say it hasn't happened to me)

The red wine on the skin just seems like a real stupid idea with more negatives than positives.  I still think the smell would be horrendous and can't imagine someone seriously doing this.

I can definately understand skepticism of treating skin w/ wine! (seems a little silly doesn't it?)

Actually, I was able to find out that Mary Queen of Scots and Cleopatra both loved soaking in wine for smoother skin - red wine has been used for centuries for beauty and skincare remedies. Resveratrol actually is a natural anti-biotic and in nature it works to protect the plant against UV rays. It has been shown in clinical studies to help firm the surface of the skin, enhance skin elasticity, and stimulate cell multiplication (I'll drink to that!). The alcohol in the wine itself is different than isopropyl alcohol, methyl and ethanol alcohol, whereas alcohol from wine is naturally derived through fermentation, and has been found to be much gentler on the skin than the three listed above. (sidenote: plant derived forms of alcohol have actually been shown to be ok for the skin: http://www.skincare-news.com/a-2628-Alcohol_is_A-OK_for_Your_Skin.aspx 

Also, the natural sugar in wine works as a gentle enzymatic exfoliant, helping the resveratrol to better penetrate the skin, and leaving skin smoother once rinsed off ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  I would suggest swiping a wine soaked cotton pad across your face, leave it on overnight and rinse off in the morning to reap the glowy rewards. Or those with sensitive skin, you could try leaving on for 5 - 10 minutes as a mask and rinse off completely.

You might like this recipe for a red wine and honey bath: http://www.spaindex.com/HomeSpa/RedWineBath.htm 

Back