Revenge Of The Sith

Makeuptalk.com - Makeup forums and reviews

Help Support Makeuptalk.com - Makeup forums and reviews:

Joined
Feb 10, 2004
Messages
4,603
Reaction score
1
**** NO SPOILERS, JUST SOME OVERALL IMPRESSIONS ****

So, we just got back from the theater... We got there at 9 pm and waited outside in line for 3 hours (and watched lots of high school and college guys wearing Star Wars t-shirts play role-playing card games in line, lol); fortunately this is a fairly small town and we were pretty close to the front of the line and were able to get good seats!

I won't give away any spoilers yet, but I thought this movie was definitely better than any of the other prequels; I'll let the viewer decide whether it's better than any of the originals.
Like the other prequels it still has some cheesy dialogue (especially at the beginning), and still has lots of special effects eye candy (I did like how they are making the spaceships look more like the ships from the original movies, trying to show a little transition there....). However this one definitely deals more with the character's emotions, and does a good job of showing us what motivated Anakin to turn to the dark side, very scary, and fairly realistic, imo... Also, you know how in the original trilogy the only Jedi left are Yoda and Obi Wan? Well, we get to see what happened to all the other Jedi in this movie ...


However, I can't comment on the ending, because when there were still about 20-30 minutes left to go (shortly before the Anakin / Obi Wan duel shown in the trailer, I believe) the projector "blew up", to use the technician's words! They were unable to fix it, and needless to say there were a lot of angry, shouting people in the theater.... they did refund everyone's tickets, and fortunately most of the future showings had not sold out yet so we got tickets to see it again tomorrow afternoon. But poor hubby was really looking forward to seeing it tonight and he was MAD
-- he's not the kind of guy that would yell at the managers or anything, but he was sitting next to me silently fuming while they tried to fix the projector!

Anyways, I saw enough of it to say that I definitely liked it and I'm sure the end will be great, from the spoilers that I've already heard and from what we already saw


*** VERY MINOR SPOILERS THAT PROBABLY AREN'T EVEN DETAILED ENOUGH TO BE CALLED SPOILERS
***

As for whether this movie is appropriate for kids .... well, I have heard there are some gruesome scenes toward the end that we didn't see tonight (mainly the scene in which Anakin is so badly injured that he requires his Darth Vader suit and becomes half machine, so picture something gross like that), but from what we did see, there isn't a whole lot more blood and gore than the other movies -- yeah, there are body parts being chopped off (including a head), but always with lightsabers so you don't see any blood. However, there is a lot more violence that is implied -- lots of people gunned down at point-blank range (but the camera always turns away or something so you don't see actual blood), and even a group of children killed -- again, we don't see their actual deaths, but we see the killer come up to the kids and later we see their bodies all over the floor. Well, we do see one child shot and killed in a related scene, but from an angle where there's no blood shown .... So I guess if your children are accustomed to seeing murder and violence on TV it would be OK, but perhaps not something for a very sensitive or young child. Just my thoughts


Anyways, I'm of course looking forward to seeing it tomorrow, and I'd love to hear other opinions when you guys go see it!


 
Joined
Jun 22, 2004
Messages
1,631
Reaction score
0
I got this far

Originally Posted by girl_geek I won't give away any spoilers yet, and had to stop b/c it hasn't begun here yet. It's only 10:20 pm & although I'm not going to see it tonight, I hope to see it either tomorrow or sometime this weekend. Local new channels are showing the crowds in full garb, which makes me chuckle, but totally eager to see this flick.
 
Joined
Feb 10, 2004
Messages
4,603
Reaction score
1
Maybe I worded it wrong ... what I meant was, I won't give away any spoilers in this post; once others have seen it maybe we could talk spoilers. I just gave some opinions on my overall view of the movie, although I did describe a few death scenes (with no character names so I don't think it's giving away anything) for those worried about whether it's appropriate for kids
I'll edit my original post to make that more clear.

And yes, there were a handful of people in costume at our theater but not many. There was a guy in a very impressive home-made storm trooper outfit, a 10-year-old kid in a Wookie suit, a Padme costume, and a few Jedi ... Plus lots of guys in regular clothes with toy lightsabers they were fighting with
The poor theater ushers kept walking up and down the lines, making sure the lightsaber fights didn't get out of hand, and trying to sell us $2.50 buckets of popcorn


 
Joined
May 5, 2005
Messages
2,769
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by girl_geek Maybe I worded it wrong ... what I meant was, I won't give away any spoilers in this post; once others have seen it maybe we could talk spoilers. I just gave some opinions on my overall view of the movie, although I did describe a few death scenes (with no character names so I don't think it's giving away anything) for those worried about whether it's appropriate for kids
I'll edit my original post to make that more clear.
And yes, there were a handful of people in costume at our theater but not many. There was a guy in a very impressive home-made storm trooper outfit, a 10-year-old kid in a Wookie suit, a Padme costume, and a few Jedi ... Plus lots of guys in regular clothes with toy lightsabers they were fighting with
The poor theater ushers kept walking up and down the lines, making sure the lightsaber fights didn't get out of hand, and trying to sell us $2.50 buckets of popcorn


Im interested in seeING it!


 
Joined
Feb 10, 2004
Messages
4,603
Reaction score
1
Originally Posted by charms23 Wow, you were there pretty early. So do I need to have seen the other movies before this to understand this last movie? It sounds kinda interesting...maybe I'll ask my bf to go with me and see how he feels about that. I would certainly recommend it, but I guess it isn't *required*. However you won't fully appreciate Anakin's transformation into Darth Vader until you've seen what's happened to him in the other movies, I think! But if you've seen the original trilogy you probably won't be too lost ... just realize that in this movie, the Emperor of the original trilogy has not yet revealed himself, and the Empire has not formed yet -- the galaxy is still governed by "the Republic" which rules by democracy and a Senate, although at the start of the movie there is a war going on as some people, "the Separatists", want to break away from the Republic. All the Clone Troopers you see (which look a lot like the Storm Troopers of the original trilogy) are fighting for the Republic; if you watch "Attack of the Clones" you'll learn more about the Clone Troopers. And the Jedi are also loyal to the Republic. But if your bf has seen the new movies you can just ask him

Anyways ... so we went back this afternoon and HOLY COW! I thought the movie was getting good when the projector died but it only got better afterwards! The whole second half of the movie is very intense, just non-stop ... tons of action, plus lots of emotional turmoil as Anakin turns to the dark side and his friends realize what is happening ... Plus it's so tragic because everyone who has seen the original trilogy knows there will be a sad ending ... I actually cried toward the end and I wasn't the only one in the theater! (Of course I cry more at movies than I used to, I swear, I am getting more girly each year
)

Anyways .... another few words on if you want to take your kids ... there is a pretty gruesome scene at the end, where Anakin is injured, as I alluded to above. And it's not just a quick shot --- the camera stays on the gruesome scene for a long time, and you get several good long looks at some pretty gross stuff. I was actually very surprised they showed so much gore because they always kept the gore to a minimum in the rest of the movie. At least one parent took their young child out to the lobby during those scenes ... so if your kids are sensitive to blood and gore and such, be forewarned ... you'll probably be able to tell when the scene is coming up though


Otherwise, I'll refrain from talking spoilers since it looks like no one else has seen it yet! Definitely one of the best movies I've seen in a long time so you all need to go see it!


 
Joined
Mar 5, 2005
Messages
1,280
Reaction score
1
I have been looking forward to this installment forever (ok,.... since the last one, lol). Anyway, I cant wait to see it!!!! I'm gonna try to go tomorrow. thinking about taking an extended lunch break since there's a theater across the street from where I work. is that bad, or what? lol!!

 
Joined
Oct 22, 2003
Messages
22,667
Reaction score
442
Location
Huntington Beach, CA
Originally Posted by girl_geek

**** NO SPOILERS, JUST SOME OVERALL IMPRESSIONS ****
So, we just got back from the theater... We got there at 9 pm and waited outside in line for 3 hours (and watched lots of high school and college guys wearing Star Wars t-shirts play role-playing card games in line, lol); fortunately this is a fairly small town and we were pretty close to the front of the line and were able to get good seats!

I won't give away any spoilers yet, but I thought this movie was definitely better than any of the other prequels; I'll let the viewer decide whether it's better than any of the originals.
Like the other prequels it still has some cheesy dialogue (especially at the beginning), and still has lots of special effects eye candy (I did like how they are making the spaceships look more like the ships from the original movies, trying to show a little transition there....). However this one definitely deals more with the character's emotions, and does a good job of showing us what motivated Anakin to turn to the dark side, very scary, and fairly realistic, imo... Also, you know how in the original trilogy the only Jedi left are Yoda and Obi Wan? Well, we get to see what happened to all the other Jedi in this movie ...


However, I can't comment on the ending, because when there were still about 20-30 minutes left to go (shortly before the Anakin / Obi Wan duel shown in the trailer, I believe) the projector "blew up", to use the technician's words! They were unable to fix it, and needless to say there were a lot of angry, shouting people in the theater.... they did refund everyone's tickets, and fortunately most of the future showings had not sold out yet so we got tickets to see it again tomorrow afternoon. But poor hubby was really looking forward to seeing it tonight and he was MAD
-- he's not the kind of guy that would yell at the managers or anything, but he was sitting next to me silently fuming while they tried to fix the projector!

Anyways, I saw enough of it to say that I definitely liked it and I'm sure the end will be great, from the spoilers that I've already heard and from what we already saw


*** VERY MINOR SPOILERS THAT PROBABLY AREN'T EVEN DETAILED ENOUGH TO BE CALLED SPOILERS
***

As for whether this movie is appropriate for kids .... well, I have heard there are some gruesome scenes toward the end that we didn't see tonight (mainly the scene in which Anakin is so badly injured that he requires his Darth Vader suit and becomes half machine, so picture something gross like that), but from what we did see, there isn't a whole lot more blood and gore than the other movies -- yeah, there are body parts being chopped off (including a head), but always with lightsabers so you don't see any blood. However, there is a lot more violence that is implied -- lots of people gunned down at point-blank range (but the camera always turns away or something so you don't see actual blood), and even a group of children killed -- again, we don't see their actual deaths, but we see the killer come up to the kids and later we see their bodies all over the floor. Well, we do see one child shot and killed in a related scene, but from an angle where there's no blood shown .... So I guess if your children are accustomed to seeing murder and violence on TV it would be OK, but perhaps not something for a very sensitive or young child. Just my thoughts


Anyways, I'm of course looking forward to seeing it tomorrow, and I'd love to hear other opinions when you guys go see it!





Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I am sooo happy that you put the warnings!!! I didn't read it all, PHEW.
But I might pee myself that I am so excited to see this on SUNDAY....OMG, I cannot wait but thanks for the nice review. This is one of the most anticipated movies in my life that I wanna see. I cannot wait!!! It is sold out beyone beleif here...

PS: I cannot beleive that the projector BLEW UP lol. Was it Anniken blowing it up? lol

 
Joined
Oct 22, 2003
Messages
22,667
Reaction score
442
Location
Huntington Beach, CA
Originally Posted by girl_geek

Maybe I worded it wrong ... what I meant was, I won't give away any spoilers in this post; once others have seen it maybe we could talk spoilers. I just gave some opinions on my overall view of the movie, although I did describe a few death scenes (with no character names so I don't think it's giving away anything) for those worried about whether it's appropriate for kids
I'll edit my original post to make that more clear.
And yes, there were a handful of people in costume at our theater but not many. There was a guy in a very impressive home-made storm trooper outfit, a 10-year-old kid in a Wookie suit, a Padme costume, and a few Jedi ... Plus lots of guys in regular clothes with toy lightsabers they were fighting with
The poor theater ushers kept walking up and down the lines, making sure the lightsaber fights didn't get out of hand, and trying to sell us $2.50 buckets of popcorn





I knew what you meant

 
Joined
Oct 22, 2003
Messages
22,667
Reaction score
442
Location
Huntington Beach, CA
Originally Posted by girl_geek

**** NO SPOILERS, JUST SOME OVERALL IMPRESSIONS ****
So, we just got back from the theater... We got there at 9 pm and waited outside in line for 3 hours (and watched lots of high school and college guys wearing Star Wars t-shirts play role-playing card games in line, lol); fortunately this is a fairly small town and we were pretty close to the front of the line and were able to get good seats!

I won't give away any spoilers yet, but I thought this movie was definitely better than any of the other prequels; I'll let the viewer decide whether it's better than any of the originals.
Like the other prequels it still has some cheesy dialogue (especially at the beginning), and still has lots of special effects eye candy (I did like how they are making the spaceships look more like the ships from the original movies, trying to show a little transition there....). However this one definitely deals more with the character's emotions, and does a good job of showing us what motivated Anakin to turn to the dark side, very scary, and fairly realistic, imo... Also, you know how in the original trilogy the only Jedi left are Yoda and Obi Wan? Well, we get to see what happened to all the other Jedi in this movie ...


However, I can't comment on the ending, because when there were still about 20-30 minutes left to go (shortly before the Anakin / Obi Wan duel shown in the trailer, I believe) the projector "blew up", to use the technician's words! They were unable to fix it, and needless to say there were a lot of angry, shouting people in the theater.... they did refund everyone's tickets, and fortunately most of the future showings had not sold out yet so we got tickets to see it again tomorrow afternoon. But poor hubby was really looking forward to seeing it tonight and he was MAD
-- he's not the kind of guy that would yell at the managers or anything, but he was sitting next to me silently fuming while they tried to fix the projector!

Anyways, I saw enough of it to say that I definitely liked it and I'm sure the end will be great, from the spoilers that I've already heard and from what we already saw


*** VERY MINOR SPOILERS THAT PROBABLY AREN'T EVEN DETAILED ENOUGH TO BE CALLED SPOILERS
***

As for whether this movie is appropriate for kids .... well, I have heard there are some gruesome scenes toward the end that we didn't see tonight (mainly the scene in which Anakin is so badly injured that he requires his Darth Vader suit and becomes half machine, so picture something gross like that), but from what we did see, there isn't a whole lot more blood and gore than the other movies -- yeah, there are body parts being chopped off (including a head), but always with lightsabers so you don't see any blood. However, there is a lot more violence that is implied -- lots of people gunned down at point-blank range (but the camera always turns away or something so you don't see actual blood), and even a group of children killed -- again, we don't see their actual deaths, but we see the killer come up to the kids and later we see their bodies all over the floor. Well, we do see one child shot and killed in a related scene, but from an angle where there's no blood shown .... So I guess if your children are accustomed to seeing murder and violence on TV it would be OK, but perhaps not something for a very sensitive or young child. Just my thoughts


Anyways, I'm of course looking forward to seeing it tomorrow, and I'd love to hear other opinions when you guys go see it!





By the way, we will bring light sabers! lol me and Cameron!
 
Joined
Feb 10, 2004
Messages
4,603
Reaction score
1
Hey, I forgot ... today I found out that last night one of the other screens in our theater also had the projector "blow up" (actually the xenon bulb burnt out) during a scene just a few minutes before ours blew up! And that so many bulbs blew up in theaters in our nearby large city that it made the news! Apparently, the scenes on the volcanic planet Mustafar with all the lava are so bright that it's blowing up the bulbs! But I guess they're getting them fixed; today we saw the third showing on our screen and it made it through the whole movie this time!


 
Joined
Feb 10, 2004
Messages
4,603
Reaction score
1
Originally Posted by charms23 That's crazy! Didn't they plan on that before they showed it? Apparently not! And who knows, maybe different kinds of projectors are more prone to blowing up, so maybe George Lucas didn't realize that would happen in some theaters?
 
Joined
Apr 18, 2004
Messages
572
Reaction score
0
Great Movie, seen it last night with the hubby. We caught the late late showing so less people but it was still packed. I am not into Si-Fi movies but it was rather great, I kinda dizzy with all the flying ships and all but over all i would watch it again.

 
Joined
Feb 10, 2004
Messages
4,603
Reaction score
1
Originally Posted by SmartStyle437 Great Movie, seen it last night with the hubby. We caught the late late showing so less people but it was still packed. I am not into Si-Fi movies but it was rather great, I kinda dizzy with all the flying ships and all but over all i would watch it again. lol, there were a few scenes in the opening space battle that made me dizzy too!
 
Joined
Oct 22, 2003
Messages
22,667
Reaction score
442
Location
Huntington Beach, CA
Ok today we saw the latest star wars movie. This movine was unFREAKINGbeleivable!!! My favorite Star Wars of all time. The tranformation from Anniken to Vader was so "WOW"! This movie ranks in my top 5 movies of all time. George Lukas did a wonderful job showing the emotions of Anniken along with Padme. I won't go on too much so as to not spoil it. The graphics were outta control!

It get's a double thumbs up in my book! As far as kids go, this movie was ok to show our 4 year old. There wasn't too much that was too aweful bad.

 
Joined
May 17, 2005
Messages
217
Reaction score
0
I believe this was definately the best out of all the prequels. The acting this time was a lot better than in the 1st 2 episodes. It was definately a perfect way to show the beginning of Darth Vadar and how the Star Wars Trilogy began. Overall everyone should go see it.!!!

P.S. I'm a fan of Hayden Christiansen but I wonder why did the Star Wars Episodes not do him justice with his hair. First he had the mullet rat tail then and then the weird bang comb over thing.wft?meh i guess he's still cute no matter what and did a way better job in this episode. Maybe he's just better at darker roles (i.e. Life as a House and Caught in a Purple Haze).

 
Joined
Feb 10, 2004
Messages
4,603
Reaction score
1
Originally Posted by blaquepooky P.S. I'm a fan of Hayden Christiansen but I wonder why did the Star Wars Episodes not do him justice with his hair. First he had the mullet rat tail then and then the weird bang comb over thing.wft?meh i guess he's still cute no matter what and did a way better job in this episode. Maybe he's just better at darker roles (i.e. Life as a House and Caught in a Purple Haze). lol ... not sure what was up with the Episode II hair, but in Episode III they gave him shaggy hair to match all the 70's shaggy hairstyles in the original trilogy, to show kind of a transition in styles. Same reason Obi Wan had the same hairstyle and beard in this episode as he did in the original trilogy, and why the spaceships were starting to look more like the ones in the original trilogy too (did you notice that the Republic's fighter ships had 3 "wings" on each side? The precursor to the X-Wings
)
Anyways, yeah, I agree this one was a lot better and the acting (for the most part) was better too. Hubby and I both thought that the actor that played Chancellor Palpatine did a great job -- he did such a good job of switching between the kindly, fatherly "Chancellor voice" and the scary "Emperor voice" whenever he wanted to, throughout the movie! The guy that played Obi Wan did pretty good too -- at first I thought he didn't show enough emotion during some, er, critical scenes but then I remembered that he's a Jedi, he's supposed to control his emotions


We saw it again yesterday, I love small towns, even on Saturday (when we bought the tickets) and yesterday (Sunday), the shows weren't selling out until just before the movie started! We bought the tickets a day early but totally didn't need to! Opening night and the next day were the only days that you had to actually had to buy tickets early and arrive really early to get in line ... Of course the fact that this is a huge college town and most of the students are home for the summer probably helps too
I thought it was fun watching it yesterday because there were more kids in the audience than the other times we went -- I loved hearing their reactions to some of the funnier scenes (e.g. R2D2 scenes), they're so cute! lol

 
Joined
Oct 22, 2003
Messages
22,667
Reaction score
442
Location
Huntington Beach, CA
One of my favorite parts is when the Vader's helmet’s snapped into place and he takes his first few breaths, wow. The sound was loud and clear

That was a real dramatic moment bigtime!!!

 

Latest posts

Top