Reverse stamping/ creating your own decals

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know some of you already saw this in the "nail polish you are wearing right now" thread but I wanted to put it here because it's relevant to the thread.  His nose/lips area is a little smudged.  Sometimes I have noticed that new polish smudges or bleeds the stamp when it's on the plastic.  I am not sure if this is also the case on waxed paper or not or if it's the polish itself that causes this effect but other than that little flaw and the issues I had moving him once he was on my nail, this was one of my favorite stamps to date.

Here's another done on the stamper.  I like doing it this way too.  Again my impatience killed the application but the decal was flawless.

This was after I peeled it and turned it over already

I didn't wait long enough and I streaked it using a cheap top coat.  I could kick myself.

I'm in love with that monarch wing. My nails are never long enough to pull something like that off though. I love the idea of making my own decals though, this was awesome.

Ahhh thank you so much for this. I bought a stamping set about 3 months ago and I have only used it once...i'm kind of a perfectionist when it comes to my nails and it never worked perfect every time. 

I am sure going to try this way as I can make them exactly as I want before putting them onto my nails!

I might be being silly, but for the plastic bag technique, are you attaching the bag to your nail? Or does the nail polish peel off?

Quote: Originally Posted by roskandy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I might be being silly, but for the plastic bag technique, are you attaching the bag to your nail? Or does the nail polish peel off?
The polish peels off.  Quite easily actually.  I am really preferring the on the stamp method these days though.  I have been making a bunch for later, just have to figure out how to store them. 

Quote: Originally Posted by Christa W /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  The polish peels off.  Quite easily actually.  I am really preferring the on the stamp method these days though.  I have been making a bunch for later, just have to figure out how to store them. 
Ooh, yay! I'll def try this. Pretty cool technique!

Quote: Originally Posted by Christa W /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Here's another done on the stamper.  I like doing it this way too.  Again my impatience killed the application but the decal was flawless.

This was after I peeled it and turned it over already
@Christa W So you are making this on the stamper? Can you give more details? I just made some reverse decals today and I'm looking forward to trying them out!

I am going to make a quick video to clarify.  I have 2 different methods that I have been using.

I want to do this! Every time I try it, it doesn't work. I always rip it, or it just doesn't go on. One day I will master it, yours look amazing!

Quote: Originally Posted by bowsandnails /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I want to do this! Every time I try it, it doesn't work. I always rip it, or it just doesn't go on. One day I will master it, yours look amazing!
Why thank you.  I have a video coming once I get around to editing it.  My normal camera is on the fritz so I have to use a different one to do it.  I mess up a lot but thankfully when I am doing it on the stamper or plastic I can just make another one and it's easier than trying to stamp on my nails and make a mistake.  Sometimes I just walk away and then come back later!!!

I am so trying this some time soon. Now I can use the stamping plates I have that have been collecting dust that I can't figure out.

Quote: Originally Posted by bowsandnails /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looks like I might take a bit longer on the video than I planned but I just got to thinking.  I had issues with ripping when I tried peeling them off when they were still sort of wet.  Also if you are doing a clear coat make sure it's thick enough when it dries it come off easily but not so thick it doesn't apply right or curls.  When I take them off the stamp I start with my thumbnail around the edge and work my way in slowly turning the stamper as I go.  I have more luck that way then the plastic baggie because it's really hard to get the edges of the stamp on the plastic.  I hope that helps.

I just put in an order for a ton of stamping plates today including some that are going to great for decals.  I can't wait.  I will be doing a video when I do.  I can't wait!!

Next you trim off any excess you have (you can do some trimming before it's on the nail too if its a smaller design.  I didn't because this was my first time and I wasn't sure how much I would need to grab it.

Back