[review] Julep Maven: November and December's boxes

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dena Fletcher /img/forum/go_quote.gif

i just signed up..  i am amercian beauty..   i should be getting shipment soon.........which are you????
Her box was Classic With A Twist.

Since you got American Beauty, and yes you will get a January box. Then you will get Maria, Anne and the body scrub.

The other styles for the month of January are:

January will be my third box with Julep.  I personally love the service, but that's just my 2cents.  I like that the polishes and treatments are toxin free and wanted an easy way to collect some colors.  I'm Boho Glam and got the above image plus their Nail Therapy polish and a sample of the Nail Polish Remover Pads.  I'll be taking pics later, if anyone would like to see I can post up.

WOW!!!! 
wub.gif
  those colors look BEAUTIFUL (american beauty set)..  thats awesome!!!!!  i cant wait to get it!!!  i will probably have to cancel after this first order... i get myglam & birchbox..  $40 a month is not in my budget..  20 i can justify tho......  :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
rocknroll2.gif
  thanks SOOOOOO much for sharing ladies!!!!!

yes!! please share pics! would love to see!

Originally Posted by BehindtheLashes /img/forum/go_quote.gif

January will be my third box with Julep.  I personally love the service, but that's just my 2cents.  I like that the polishes and treatments are toxin free and wanted an easy way to collect some colors.  I'm Boho Glam and got the above image plus their Nail Therapy polish and a sample of the Nail Polish Remover Pads.  I'll be taking pics later, if anyone would like to see I can post up.

VERY nice..  they send out a nice package!!!!  did you try the yelllow shade?  im guessing the clear is a top coat? if so is it a quick dry?

Originally Posted by BehindtheLashes /img/forum/go_quote.gif

You got it love.

VERY nice..  they send out a nice package!!!!  did you try the yelllow shade?  im guessing the clear is a top coat? if so is it a quick dry?

I actually got a top coat last month, the clear above is their Nail Therapy polish to help condition or act like a base coat. I find that all their polishes dry pretty quickly though.

I just ordered my first box (January - American Beauty) with a $5 code. American Beauty is what I got from the style quiz and it is actually accurate since that is my favorite box. The swatch of Anne (purple shade) I saw when I googled for images looked SO pretty! I am a total nail polish junkie and have way too many nail polishes so I will probably not stay a subscriber for long, but with a $5 code it seemed like a great deal :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

So they ship right away after you order? And they ship from WA? I guess I will get my order soon then since I live in CA :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I really hope they don't have to substitute for the shades shown because I love them both.

I also subscribe to Birchbox and my first MyGlam bag should be shipping tomorrow (and I will probably get it the next day since I hear they ship from SF! yay!) I have been a Birchbox subscriber since summer and have only had a few boxes I was happy with... if MyGlam proves to be better I will cancel BirchBox. Seems like MyGlam is better about having MAKEUP samples in their boxes.

Originally Posted by AnnieXO /img/forum/go_quote.gif

So they ship right away after you order? And they ship from WA? I guess I will get my order soon then since I live in CA :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I really hope they don't have to substitute for the shades shown because I love them both.

I also subscribe to Birchbox and my first MyGlam bag should be shipping tomorrow (and I will probably get it the next day since I hear they ship from SF! yay!) I have been a Birchbox subscriber since summer and have only had a few boxes I was happy with... if MyGlam proves to be better I will cancel BirchBox. Seems like MyGlam is better about having MAKEUP samples in their boxes.
Yes and yes. If you don't want the Feb box you either need to call to cancel or hit skip the month by the 25th. I think the ability to skip a month "opens" on the 20th. Since you're in Cali once it leaves Seattle you should get it within two days, maybe three depending on if it's a weekend.

As for Birchbox and MyGlam... Birchbox ships from New Jersey and typically through a company called Streamlite which is notoriously, NORTORIOUSLY slow for shipping. Streamlite, like the UPS, does not work weekends which adds on two additional travel days, but unlike UPS the packages seem take forever to ship across country. I'm up in WA and normally it takes about two weeks from time I get my ship notice from Birchbox to actually getting the box in my hands. The longest, if I recall correctly and without looking it up, was between 19 and 21 days.

MyGlam ships from California, south of San Francisco to be almost exact, so depending on where in Cali you live it should take only a day, two at most, before you get it from the time it actually ships out (and keep in mind they print the labels a day or so in advance).

Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yes and yes. If you don't want the Feb box you either need to call to cancel or hit skip the month by the 25th. I think the ability to skip a month "opens" on the 20th. Since you're in Cali once it leaves Seattle you should get it within two days, maybe three depending on if it's a weekend.

As for Birchbox and MyGlam... Birchbox ships from New Jersey and typically through a company called Streamlite which is notoriously, NORTORIOUSLY slow for shipping. Streamlite, like the UPS, does not work weekends which adds on two additional travel days, but unlike UPS the packages seem take forever to ship across country. I'm up in WA and normally it takes about two weeks from time I get my ship notice from Birchbox to actually getting the box in my hands. The longest, if I recall correctly and without looking it up, was between 19 and 21 days.

MyGlam ships from California, south of San Francisco to be almost exact, so depending on where in Cali you live it should take only a day, two at most, before you get it from the time it actually ships out (and keep in mind they print the labels a day or so in advance).

Thanks for the info! Do you know if you get to preview and choose your box from Julep Maven? It would be great if you could do that before you are charged for that month's box, like I was able to see all the intro boxes and choose which one I wanted. 

I'm so excited that MyGlam ships from the Bay Area because I live there! I know what you mean about Birchbox - mine takes at least a full week to arrive after it ships too! I order often from Jewelmint as well which also uses Streamlite, but since they are in Southern CA I still get my order in about two business days. 

I just ordered a bunch of shoes from ShoeDazzle for the first time too which should be arriving this week. They use UPS which is also annoyingly slow at times... my package is in Oakland and if it was USPS it would have gotten here today but with UPS it just sits there till tomorrow. Hope the shoes fit, I've heard their sizes run small in general. Aaaah, all these subscription sites are so bad for my wallet! :p

Yes they send you a preview of your box about 5 days before they ship and charge you, so you have that time to change you mind and either skip the month or choose a different box, so if your box is american beauty, and you want it girl, then you can request that one instead =)

Thanks for the info! Do you know if you get to preview and choose your box from Julep Maven? It would be great if you could do that before you are charged for that month's box, like I was able to see all the intro boxes and choose which one I wanted. 

I'm so excited that MyGlam ships from the Bay Area because I live there! I know what you mean about Birchbox - mine takes at least a full week to arrive after it ships too! I order often from Jewelmint as well which also uses Streamlite, but since they are in Southern CA I still get my order in about two business days. 

I just ordered a bunch of shoes from ShoeDazzle for the first time too which should be arriving this week. They use UPS which is also annoyingly slow at times... my package is in Oakland and if it was USPS it would have gotten here today but with UPS it just sits there till tomorrow. Hope the shoes fit, I've heard their sizes run small in general. Aaaah, all these subscription sites are so bad for my wallet! :p
You're welcome. The three Streamlite hubs I know of are in New Jersey (can't recall the town off hand), outside of Seattle near Sea-Tac and one in the Bay area. I think there is one near or in L.A. but the rest across the country no idea. What I hate is that Streamlite will hand the package off to the USPS so I just don't get why they can't do that to begin with. I know they said it's because hazardous material can't fly and has to go ground still I always found it odd. It's the same with my TestTube, it comes from the east coast I think via UPS before arriving at the local UPS hub OR in the Spokane hub before transferred over to the USPS. Take my last hub, it actually CAME THROUGH my town before going up to Spokane then back down to where I live. It was like WTF is THAT about? I could go on and on with a rant about shipping so I'll stop here instead. lol

Don't forget to post pics of your stuff - even the Shoe Dazzle shoes in the Subscription & Samples group. I also have Shoe Dazzle and some shoes DO run small. I have this pair of brown heels that I love and once I can get into the shoe it's fine but the straps are not adjustable so it's a pain to get on. I feel like Cinderella's stepsister trying to get into Cinderella's shoes! LOL I now pick a size bigger on some shoes but the athletic shoes run true.

Originally Posted by ciaobella9821 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yes they send you a preview of your box about 5 days before they ship and charge you, so you have that time to change you mind and either skip the month or choose a different box, so if your box is american beauty, and you want it girl, then you can request that one instead =)
That's great! Glad I will get a preview so I can decide if it's worth the $22 that month. I really like this approach to a subscription service. Though I can see how it could get complicated if there is one popular box that everyone wants and it gets sold out and the others don't sell enough. Hopefully they keep it this way though!

You're welcome. The three Streamlite hubs I know of are in New Jersey (can't recall the town off hand), outside of Seattle near Sea-Tac and one in the Bay area. I think there is one near or in L.A. but the rest across the country no idea. What I hate is that Streamlite will hand the package off to the USPS so I just don't get why they can't do that to begin with. I know they said it's because hazardous material can't fly and has to go ground still I always found it odd. It's the same with my TestTube, it comes from the east coast I think via UPS before arriving at the local UPS hub OR in the Spokane hub before transferred over to the USPS. Take my last hub, it actually CAME THROUGH my town before going up to Spokane then back down to where I live. It was like WTF is THAT about? I could go on and on with a rant about shipping so I'll stop here instead. lol

Don't forget to post pics of your stuff - even the Shoe Dazzle shoes in the Subscription & Samples group. I also have Shoe Dazzle and some shoes DO run small. I have this pair of brown heels that I love and once I can get into the shoe it's fine but the straps are not adjustable so it's a pain to get on. I feel like Cinderella's stepsister trying to get into Cinderella's shoes! LOL I now pick a size bigger on some shoes but the athletic shoes run true.
Thanks! Love this forum, you're all so friendly :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> If you have an iPhone you might want to check out the Slice app - it keeps track of all your shipped orders by hooking up to your email inbox to grab tracking numbers. Still has some kinks to it but definitely nice to have if you're constantly obsessively tracking multiple orders like I do. lol. Actually it has a web app too - goslice.com

I got my first ShoeDazzle pair today! Izabelle. I was a bit worried about the quality because it was from the 'steals' page and I had read a lot of quality issues about those items on Facebook... but I love them! http://instagr.am/p/gB_NK/

I have four more pairs coming tomorrow! Eeek. I still live at home with my parents and recently quit my job so not looking forward to their judgement about me buying all those shoes. Came out to $26/shoe though which is not bad at all! Will try to post my haul in the Subscriptions group :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Thanks! Love this forum, you're all so friendly :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> If you have an iPhone you might want to check out the Slice app - it keeps track of all your shipped orders by hooking up to your email inbox to grab tracking numbers. Still has some kinks to it but definitely nice to have if you're constantly obsessively tracking multiple orders like I do. lol. Actually it has a web app too - goslice.com
OMG THANK YOU for that app rec. I've been looking for something like that since I have lots of orders each month. I'm a very bad girl and order way too much stuff. LOL

OMG THANK YOU for that app rec. I've been looking for something like that since I have lots of orders each month. I'm a very bad girl and order way too much stuff. LOL

No problem! Seems to work well with UPS - I got a notification on my phone today shortly after my package was delivered. Sometimes it misses some orders (lots of my Jewelmint orders) but you just forward the receipt/tracking email to them if they missed it.

As for Birchbox and MyGlam... Birchbox ships from New Jersey and typically through a company called Streamlite which is notoriously, NORTORIOUSLY slow for shipping. Streamlite, like the UPS, does not work weekends which adds on two additional travel days, but unlike UPS the packages seem take forever to ship across country.
UPS does work weekends. I should know, my husband just changed to a normal 5 day week shift, but for the last 10 years or so he worked 13 hour shifts on Friday-Sunday! He's a mechanic for UPS planes, their sort center is up and working too. So the packages are getting sorted and sent to all parts of the country, but they are not delivered on the weekends unless you pay extra for Saturday delivery.

Ahh, around here the hub is closed on weekends. Come to think of it almost everything in the industrial area is closed on weekends except for the food vendors.

if this has been covered and i missed it.. sorry...

the colors i got in my intro box are the same colrs being sent out in the jan box..  if i stay in my category (amercian beauty) will i get the same colors???

The boxes are completely different each month but all the American Beauty boxes contain the same shade in that given month.

ok..  let me see if i understand right..  so depending on when you order.. your first box and monthly box could be the same........................

The boxes are completely different each month but all the American Beauty boxes contain the same shade in that given month.

Back