REVISED GUIDELINES (Sept 2012): Nail Polish Circular Swap Group

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by xiehan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm good with the new guidelines, the only correction I would make is that I wouldn't consider Color Club a high-end polish brand. I know Birchbox sells them for $8 apiece but I can't think of any other place that does. Rite Aid and other drugstores that carry them sell them for $4-6 apiece, and Head2Toe Beauty has them for $3.10 each.
Good to know.  Thank you, xiehan!  Can you suggest a company which sells Essie at less that $8.00 each?

Originally Posted by Beautyboxgal /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Good to know.  Thank you, xiehan!  Can you suggest a company which sells Essie at less that $8.00 each?
I've seen Essie clearanced at Ulta for like $4, and various quads and sets at TJ Maxx/Marshalls for around that price point, too.

I'm good with Color Club being removed from the High-End group since the regular price in under the $8.00 threshold we've established.  I don't think we should do the same though with Essie, since the lower price is basically a sale price.  Does that work for everyone?

I'm good with Color Club being removed from the High-End group since the regular price in under the $8.00 threshold we've established.  I don't think we should do the same though with Essie, since the lower price is basically a sale price.  Does that work for everyone?
Works for me!

Originally Posted by tgooberbutt /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I meant to ask - any thoughts on how mini's would work in the swap? Like the OPI or Essie Mini sizes?
Good question. I have a bunch of Sephora for OPI minis that I wanted to put in (from a holiday set). Should it be a 2 for 1 sort of deal? (like put 2 mini's in the box in place of a full size?)

I think you all might have to use something else besides average price as the deciding factor between high end and drugstore. China Glaze almost always sells for less than $8 but I think most would consider it high end, good quality, interesting and some of the most coveted colors etc. Meanwhile, Sally Hanson Complete Salon usually sells for $8 or more at most drugstores! I personally love it and it works well for me, and in the limited edition especially can have some great colors etc. but I can't think of anyone who would call it high end even with "salon" in the name. (Has anyone ever seen this brand in any nail salon anywhere? lol)

So I have a couple of suggestions. First is it possible to make a sticky post for the top of this group? If so, maybe there could be a list agreed upon by the group as to which brands are high end and which are drug store that would be easy to reference. Or is that getting too technical for something that's supposed to be enjoyable?

I would also say that the $8 is a good general cut off point with a few exceptions and include a few cheaper but highly regarded brands like China Glaze in the high end list. I would also say that for the group purposes, drug store limited editions should be considered high end since so many people want them but they aren't available in their drugstores. I'm just thinking that I have doubles of some Sally Hansen Prisms that I know a lot of women would love to have! I'd also include NYX as high end for that reason, it may be cheap, but it's hard to come by for a lot of us who don't have an Ulta nearby or don't know of a nearby salon that carries it. That's another reason why Color Club should be considered high end too.

Some brands I wouldn't know how to categorize would be Orly, Nicole by OPI, or Borghese. Like Sally Hanson Complete Salon, these are usually available at drugstores or Target/Walmart type stores but are over $8.

I wouldn't consider China Glaze high end, Color Club retails for $8 and up on their website, and sells for less in stores. I wouldn't mind seeing either of those two in a box. And most brands have occasional standout shades that are limited edition or hard to find yet still coveted. Personally, I would include Wet N Wild, Petites, Sinful Colors, Sally Hansen Xtreme Wear and Insta-Dri, NYX, and Cover Girl in the low end category. Those are generally $5 and under. Revlon/Maybelline/L'Oreal/Nicole by OPI/Orly/Essie and even regular OPI are marked at various stores from anywhere between $5-$9. So I think it can get complicated pretty easily. I think it might be best to go with what's already laid out, and tweak as needed for future rounds.

For me personally I feel $8.00 or more is a higher end polish. Any one who has color club polishes that doesn't want because they're not considered high end , you can pass them to me. I love that brand. When are we starting ? Can't wait !

Hi Ladies...BeautyBoxGal and I are working on getting two groups organized by location and plan to get the boxes mailed to the first recipients...tomorrow!! Look for a PM from me with info about your group later tonight. We ended up with two groups of 7 each so the whole round should be quicker. With our new rules I'd say this round looks like it will be a great way to get some awesome polishes! Let me know if you have any questions. LyndaV

Is this group accepting newbies? I am working on getting trade +s (had traded without receiving feedback in the past).

I will note your name and make sure I contact you when we start Round 3.  Please make sure you join the group if you are interested in participating.  You will get group emails (just in case I forget to contact you)

Lynda

By join the group, do you mean "subscribe?" I am new so I want to make sure I know what to do!

I'll send you an invite to the group, its easier than trying to explain where to find it : )

never mind, looks like you are already a member.  You will get group emails when they are sent out about the next swap round.

I'm new to these boards, but I'd love to be included in one of these round robins.  I know that I will not do any trading from the various box subscriptions on the boards because it kind of intimidates me.  What would I have to do to get in on this next time?

If you look at the very first post I made at the beginning of this thread you will see the requirements for joining in a trade round.  Please note that you only have to have ONE of the qualifications, not all.

Back