Sample Society: December 2012

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by beautymadn3ss /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I don't have anything against Sample Society, they are a great company and the samples are sized nicely, I just think it's geared towards idk people 25+, don't take offense, that's just the age I PERSONALLY think I will start using anti aging products, and I'm 4 years from there, once I get there, this might be a box for me, but right  now, it's not. I'm not sure if I will keep it for one more month, just to give it a shot, or just cancel right now :S
I'm over 30 and canceled SS a while back because their samples were too small, but even if they were bigger, the samples were very boring.  Or just laughable, like that self-tanner.  SS just always rubs me the wrong way, even now when I'm not a subscriber anymore their boxes irritate me.  Maybe you have a point that box is geared to older people, just nothing about their boxes made me feel like, I dunno, girly or pretty or glamorous or sexy or anything.  Maybe it did just make feel old and dull.  

I saw a blog on ebates about gifts not give your wife, and they said something like "New dishwasher, good.  Mop and bucket, bad."  And explained that if you'er going to give a gift that has to do with cleaning, it should be something that makes her work easier and her life better, not something that reminds her of the work she has to do.  That's what SS boxes remind me of: a mop and bucket with a hairnet on the side.

Originally Posted by Mystica /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm over 30 and canceled SS a while back because their samples were too small, but even if they were bigger, the samples were very boring.  Or just laughable, like that self-tanner.  SS just always rubs me the wrong way, even now when I'm not a subscriber anymore their boxes irritate me.  Maybe you have a point that box is geared to older people, just nothing about their boxes made me feel like, I dunno, girly or pretty or glamorous or sexy or anything.  Maybe it did just make feel old and dull.  

I saw a blog on ebates about gifts not give your wife, and they said something like "New dishwasher, good.  Mop and bucket, bad."  And explained that if you'er going to give a gift that has to do with cleaning, it should be something that makes her work easier and her life better, not something that reminds her of the work she has to do.  That's what SS boxes remind me of: a mop and bucket with a hairnet on the side.
Yep, I'm 26 and your description on sample society resonated with me so much that I ended up cancelling it a couple of minutes ago. Honestly, I don't think it's really geared for 25+, maybe more like 45+ and even my fiftysomething mother is tired of all the anti-aging samples I inevitably end up giving her.

Originally Posted by martianeskimo /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yep, I'm 26 and your description on sample society resonated with me so much that I ended up cancelling it a couple of minutes ago. Honestly, I don't think it's really geared for 25+, maybe more like 45+ and even my fiftysomething mother is tired of all the anti-aging samples I inevitably end up giving her.
I'm 43 and quit after one month.  And most people considered it a really great month.  Agree with the assessment.

Originally Posted by mellee /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote: Originally Posted by martianeskimo /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm 43 and quit after one month.  And most people considered it a really great month.  Agree with the assessment.

Yeah, I agree...this one used to be my favorite because the sample sizes were better than BB...but after a few months, I just felt like it was an anti-aging box, not a sample box...and this is from someone in her late 20s who uses anti-aging products as a preventative. 

It just started to feel boring. And I want my subs to be fun. I do appreciate trying nice eye creams and moisturizers and serums from time to time, but I need more than that to keep me interested.

I do think this month's boxes are better than they have been, though!

Originally Posted by katlyne /img/forum/go_quote.gif

"Comes in one versatileshade that blends in with the skin and will fit most skin tones between light and fairly light." thats a quote from the Hanskin BB cream. I just thought it was funny they use "versatile" and "blends" but then it says "will fit most skin tones between LIGHT and FAIRLY light" like...what?? I dont even know..basically. I'm not looking forward to receiving my box.. I'm 18, I don't need any anti-aging products. I definately don't need 3 of them....and I have REALLY bad genetic dark circles under my eyes, why would I want something thats made to take away puffiness, if anything, I need more puff. my undereyes always look amazing when I've been crying for 3 hours. so if you know a company that makes "Three Hour Cry; In a Bottle!!!" lemme know. lol and basically, theyre sending us all the leftovers from throughout the year...idk how I feel about that, most of the products have reviews that say "I received this in my *fill in month of the year* Sample Society box and..."
This made me laugh! lol :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I too have genetic dark circles. I have found that some eye creams/products intended to depuff help a bit with the darkness, but yeah, I agree...don't need my skin there to be thinner!

(Totally worth it to start using some anti-aging products when you're younger though..prevention is easier than fixing ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> )

And yeah, I felt like most of the samples I got from SS were geared to an older audience, and I'm in my late 20s. 

This is spot-on! I'm 27 and feel the same way. I also use some anti-aging products as a preventative, but I don't need a whole box of them each month! It's impossible to sample those types of products and see any sort of change during the short amount of time the sample lasts anyway. So I just don't see the point in spending $15 on this box. And, yeah, it definitely doesn't have the glamorous/sexy appeal that my others subs have. A shame too, because Sample Society's customer service is probably the best of them all in my experience lol.

If you think SS samples are too small, then what do you want? These sizes are better consistently than any other box. I love the stuff and I am not "older people". I guess it is a taste thing.

Personally, I've been very happy with SS.  But I'm 36 and am very into high-end skin care and anti-aging stuff.  I would much rather get a skin care sample than any kind of make-up (I know, that probably makes me a freak here on MUT).  So I feel like this box is much more "me".  I'm subscribed to Ipsy as well (amongst others) and sometimes when I get my Ipsy bag I feel kinda like I do when I go into Forever 21 -- way too old for this stuff! 

Originally Posted by nelliebelle1197 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If you think SS samples are too small, then what do you want? These sizes are better consistently than any other box. I love the stuff and I am not "older people". I guess it is a taste thing.
I disagree. Glossybox, MyGlam, Birchbox, and Beauty Army have all given out much larger sizes (including occasional full size items) consistently, and 3 out of 4 of those subscriptions are less than $15. I've definitely enjoyed a few things I've received in my SS box such as the Diptyque Fig perfume and Ahava mud mask, but I really can't think of anything else that stands out to me. And I guess that's the problem and why I cancelled.

Originally Posted by BuffaloBeautyQT /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Personally, I've been very happy with SS.  But I'm 36 and am very into high-end skin care and anti-aging stuff.  I would much rather get a skin care sample than any kind of make-up (I know, that probably makes me a freak here on MUT).  So I feel like this box is much more "me".  I'm subscribed to Ipsy as well (amongst others) and sometimes when I get my Ipsy bag I feel kinda like I do when I go into Forever 21 -- way too old for this stuff! 
I'm 37 and feel the exact same way.  I had 2 Ipsy subs but I realized I hardly use the makeup they send so I canceled one.  I hardly ever wear eyeliner and don't care for highlighting.  I keep the sub because I like the lip products.  I think I'm the one of the few who is not tired of getting lip glosses.  I have found that having a few subs works great for me.  SS supplies more staples for me, BB is more fun products, and Ipsy supplies my lip products and my daughters eyeliners.  I'm grateful I don't have to just pick one because I wouldn't know which to pick, I enjoy all 3.

I'm feeling the same way about all of the anti aging products and I'm 40. But, mostly because I can't really use them since I have very sensitive skin so I just stick with what works for me. I signed up more for fun makeup and some skin care... I think December will be my last month with SS. 

Originally Posted by katie danielle /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I disagree. Glossybox, MyGlam, Birchbox, and Beauty Army have all given out much larger sizes (including occasional full size items) consistently, and 3 out of 4 of those subscriptions are less than $15. I've definitely enjoyed a few things I've received in my SS box such as the Diptyque Fig perfume and Ahava mud mask, but I really can't think of anything else that stands out to me. And I guess that's the problem and why I cancelled.
I think the key work here is consistently.  I have 4 different subs, Sample Society, Birchbox, Ipsy, and Beauty Army.  I almost never get a box from Beauty Army because there are only small samples when I check, maybe it's my profile.  I think, besides Ipsy lately, Sample Society has fairly consistent the best size samples.  There have been a few eye cream and serums that were small but overall I feel the sizes are better than most.  It's funny how different everyone on here is.  Some people are unhappy about things other people love.  That's why I love that there is many different subs to choose from.  You can find one that makes you happy.

That is exactly it. It is consistently larger sizes. I had BB for over a year, BA from day one until July, GB from day one and SS from day one. Unitl the last two or three months, MyGlam was awful in terms of brands, etc. Consistently, the amount of product you get is much, much better and the quality of brands is much higher than any other. GB is $21, so it better be good!

Originally Posted by Charity1217 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I think the key work here is consistently.  I have 4 different subs, Sample Society, Birchbox, Ipsy, and Beauty Army.  I almost never get a box from Beauty Army because there are only small samples when I check, maybe it's my profile.  I think, besides Ipsy lately, Sample Society has fairly consistent the best size samples.  There have been a few eye cream and serums that were small but overall I feel the sizes are better than most.  It's funny how different everyone on here is.  Some people are unhappy about things other people love.  That's why I love that there is many different subs to choose from.  You can find one that makes you happy.

Originally Posted by BuffaloBeautyQT /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I agree with you.  I'd much rather get skincare since the good stuff is expensiveso I can try it out before going to buy the full size.  Makeup is available at all the beauty counters at dept stores and Sephora to try on beforehand.  With the exception of face products (like foundation and bb creams), you get a pretty good idea of the color, texture, etc in one try.  Also, I'm picky about colors and what I'll use so i'd rather select my own makeup.  

That said, I'm hitting product overload from all my subs.  May need to drop a few til I get through my stash.  SS is the only one that's monthly that I have that I can drop immediately (others are annual or are paid up for 3 or 6 mths anyway) so it might be on the chopping block.  I figure I can always trade for anything that I'd like to try.  

I was just having remorse about cancelling until I saw this thread.  I think I made the right decision.

I cancelled last month after I got my first box. Two days later I regretted it and re-subbed. I have gotten my second box and cancelled again.  The products are OK but I do not need a million anti aging things. I already use what works for me and my facial eczema. I am scared to use anything else.

I think it is a great sub for 30+ ladies that are still looking for or are open to changing the stuff they already use. 

Thanks for all the replies. I use a lot of anti-aging products, but I am still a bit bored by SS,

I purchase and use predominately high end stuff...but I find their brands to be a bit traditional and not really innovative or cutting edge.

I'll give it one more month..since this was only my 2nd box, I like to get 3 to decide.

Hopefully next month will be more unusual and exciting.

Trust me I WANT to love it! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by nelliebelle1197 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I personally don't think the sizes are too small, cuz they do sample really expensive stuff. You are not "older people", but I take it you do use anti aging products, by "older" I think I would go for like 30+(which is NOT OLD, don't get me wrong, just people that WILL AND DO take more advantage of anti aging products), if I was 30 or so, I would love this sub, but right now, I'm 21, being past 20 was traumatic enough for me...cuz I have issues with aging and I just don't want a box to remind me that I will eventually age, but right now...if I see a gray hair in my head I cry seriously I CRY...luckily that hasn't happened, it was just a reflection of the light in my hair *sigh*. I don't think there's anything wrong with this sub for the right audience, I'm just not part of that audience personally.

Originally Posted by LisaLeah /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thanks for all the replies. I use a lot of anti-aging products, but I am still a bit bored by SS,

I purchase and use predominately high end stuff...but I find their brands to be a bit traditional and not really innovative or cutting edge.

I'll give it one more month..since this was only my 2nd box, I like to get 3 to decide.

Hopefully next month will be more unusual and exciting.

Trust me I WANT to love it! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
I've found Glossybox to give out pretty interesting skincare samples!

I agree with you.  I'd much rather get skincare since the good stuff is expensiveso I can try it out before going to buy the full size.  Makeup is available at all the beauty counters at dept stores and Sephora to try on beforehand.  With the exception of face products (like foundation and bb creams), you get a pretty good idea of the color, texture, etc in one try.  Also, I'm picky about colors and what I'll use so i'd rather select my own makeup.   That said, I'm hitting product overload from all my subs.  May need to drop a few til I get through my stash.  SS is the only one that's monthly that I have that I can drop immediately (others are annual or are paid up for 3 or 6 mths anyway) so it might be on the chopping block.  I figure I can always trade for anything that I'd like to try.  
I agree I have Ispy, Bb which I just canceled one of the subs and waiting to see what I get this month before dropping. I also got this one new this month and star which I won't keep but wanted the 15 pallet the were sending out. Besides this blush (anyone want it it's enigma 305) ill trade the mural treat and repair. I'm 32 and have a condition where my skin ages and saggs already so I am all about anti aging I think ss works for me more than Bb I haven't used a samples in months from them. I love Ispy I think I get good stuff from them in good sizes.

Back