Schooling for Makeup

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Check with your state's cosmetology board as well.  In NC you have to be a licensed cosmetologist or esthetician to work as a makeup artist unless you work a counter in a department store or boutique.  

Hi ladies!

Two things --

1. I know the girls from NOMAUsa.com - only program is a great concept, they aren't sketch, very highly trained makeup artists!

2. Also, I don't know about others, but for me, it was about taking training offline. I am a visual learner but also someone who needs the hands-on training. When I was looking for makeup schools, I couldn't find anything that was right for me :/ This was almost 3 years ago. I met a makeup artist/businesswoman who was looking to create a training program for makeup artists in New York City, so we banded together to do so.

It really propelled me into learning the trade -- it is a highly technical skill and it takes practice, and interrogations (lol, okay, maybe just say lots of questions!) to really feel confident.

So, if you think learning online is enough for you, then give it a go! But if you're like me, I highly recommend training at a reputable makeup program. Ours is 100 hours, small class sizes, lots of hands on training, and professional instructors.

Good luck in whatever you decide! I think we can all agree that makeup is a challenging industry, but so rewarding!

xoxo, christina

Studio/Admissions Director

Chic Studios NYC

Hello Ladies

Ive been doing a mad search for a good but affordable online makeup school.  I have discovered Nomausa.com ($395) and University of Makeup.com ($249) Full Makeup Course.

Has anyone heard of University of Makeup?

Hey guys, sorry I've been completely ignoring my own post. How rude of me. Anyways, I'm still looking for online makeup schools and I came across QC Makeup Academy. Their courses are in the $1000 range but they looked awesome. But I only got one good review so I'm still thinking. Anyone heard of them?

Yes, you can look for a online makeup shchool... I would suggest you to find someone  (friends or classmates) to study with you. You can pracitice on each other and learn and talking together, which helps you gain experience.
icon_smile.gif

Hey!

I am currently enrolled in QC MakeUp Academy online. I love the info given and I pay 92 dollars a month! I am so excited to finish. They also teach business classes and give awesome tips on how to market yourself. Check it out! And Good luck!!

Originally Posted by nikkysheels /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The best school I've seen,if you truly want to do makeup is MUD in NYC.The cover every aspect of makeup.

http://mud.edu/School-Site-2011/

I've heard from a few MUA friends that going there wasn't worth it (as I too was interested in the program). Most suggest apprenticing with a few experienced MUAs so that you can not only learn the techniques, but at the same time you won't be dropping a lot of g's unless it's for your kit. 

Originally Posted by ScarletNight /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I've heard from a few MUA friends that going there wasn't worth it (as I too was interested in the program). Most suggest apprenticing with a few experienced MUAs so that you can not only learn the techniques, but at the same time you won't be dropping a lot of g's unless it's for your kit. 

That's are great idea too.MUD covers every kind of makeup ,from beauty to FX makeup. They teach you full face casting and making appliances too. Crazy

I live on the other side of the state, in Kansas City, and there are absolutely no places that teach MUA. None. I think it'd be fun to learn. I could work with women who have cancer, and make them feel better about themselves, I could do some  make up for proms. I'm a nurse, and I work from home, auditting charts, so I have a regular, full time job. It'd make a bit of extra money, but it'd be interesting. I could also help women who were going into the workforce, or women who are coming from abusive situations. Alot of that is volunteer, but, heck, I have a regular job, and it's steady,and I like it. 

--Just a thought.I really want online classes from NOMA.

Just go to youtube and start learning...  best of all, its free.

Originally Posted by Rhonlynn /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I live on the other side of the state, in Kansas City, and there are absolutely no places that teach MUA. None. I think it'd be fun to learn. I could work with women who have cancer, and make them feel better about themselves, I could do some  make up for proms. I'm a nurse, and I work from home, auditting charts, so I have a regular, full time job. It'd make a bit of extra money, but it'd be interesting. I could also help women who were going into the workforce, or women who are coming from abusive situations. Alot of that is volunteer, but, heck, I have a regular job, and it's steady,and I like it. 

--Just a thought.I really want online classes from NOMA.

You tube is fantastic, but how can you use an education provided by you tube videos to become, like MAC Pro, and such?

What kind of hands-on instruction are you going to get from something online?  What feedback?  ...might as well just watch youtube.  Its free.

What does MAC pro got to do with volunteering to work with cancer patients and do makeup for proms or help women get back into the workforce?

I do know there is QC Makeup Academy. Just because I was interested, I did get a guide in the mail about the school. To me, it seemed pretty reliable if you are wanting to do an online makeup school. It is a nice option. Otherwise, there are a lot of options for schools in California. If you want to get into the TV/movies/broadway etc of entertainment, which I'm wanting, Calfornia is probably your best place. Otherwise, just to getting into a retail, try online school or somewhere close to where you live (; Have fun and good luck!

University of Makeup around ($250) is the most affordable MA school that I have researched.  I have not enrolled yet.... but I am interested..... Also NOMA - National Online Make Up Academy $349.

Good Luck

If you enroll let me know how it goes....

QC MakeUp Academy is too much money...... And you dont get a discound on MAC with that school......

I'm taking classes with QC, and you do get MAC pro after you are done.You have to scan the certificate, and scan a business card. NOMA was okay, just okay. What bothered me was, they teach from You Tube, and I've probably seen the videos. Also, I had a hard time coming up with 349.00 right there. Also, they have an out of date Myspace page. I don't know, I know tons of people took lessons from them, but QC has marketing on the ball. I don't know about university of Make up. Hollywood Expressions is way too expensive. I like the st up of QC, and I like the customer service. It's going to be a great year. I'm going to get alot out of it. 

QC is set up like a regular college course. I like that. 

I'm in Kansas City, and there's nothing like they have in California or new York City.

I would suggest a full time, hands-on school if you want to train to be a professional makeup artist. MUD is fantastic and where I trained. Where I am there is no apprenticing done. Most successful makeup artists won't share their secrets or client list. Also, to me education is so important.  There is a big difference between a professional artist and someone who does makeup. 

Also, check with your state regulations department as many states do  not license or regulate makeup artistry. For example, in Texas there is no regulation. Therefore no "certification". Many people think that they have to be certified to practice, and many places offer "certification" when in actuality it means nothing. 

Back