sephora "permanently out of stock" question

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
i just placed an order and one of the product kept going in and out of stock over the past few days. when i left to get dinner it was available, then i came back an hour later and it was out of stock. some 20 mins later i found something else i wanted to buy instead, went to my cart and saw the item in question is in stock again (i didn't delete it from my cart and just left it as "0" qty because it said the item will be removed at checkout).

i placed my order as fast as i could because the item was in stock at that moment, and it went through fine. usually when items are out of stock and you are about to check out, it would kick the items out of the cart, right away - right? i just saw the "permanently out of stock" notification on my order summary under my account about 20 mins after everything went through.

anyone able to offer any insight? :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I don't know what's going on in your situation, but last year I ordered something for the VIB 20% off, and the order went through just fine.  A day or two later, they sent me an email saying they were out of stock of that item and were refunding me the price and sending the rest of the order.  I was pretty annoyed at the delay in notification and called asking if they could honor that price for me at a later time or just send it when it became available, but I was told they would not be able to do that.  They didn't do anything to help me, and it was really silly since it was a foundation kit and it was just my color that was out of stock and could have been replaced easily. In fact, you just pick up your color at the store now.

It turns out the same kit ended up being available in the store, so it worked out, but the customer service wasn't very helpful.  I don't know if you are close to a store, but you might want to check one of them to see if they have it if this doesn't work out.

Hopefully your order will go through.  I have no idea how their stock works either. Maybe it "holds" items in carts and releases them if they aren't purchased after a certain amount of time which might explain the in and out of stock situation in a short time frame, but not over a few days.  

Originally Posted by mermuse /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I don't know what's going on in your situation, but last year I ordered something for the VIB 20% off, and the order went through just fine.  A day or two later, they sent me an email saying they were out of stock of that item and were refunding me the price and sending the rest of the order.  I was pretty annoyed at the delay in notification and called asking if they could honor that price for me at a later time or just send it when it became available, but I was told they would not be able to do that.  They didn't do anything to help me, and it was really silly since it was a foundation kit and it was just my color that was out of stock and could have been replaced easily. In fact, you just pick up your color at the store now.

It turns out the same kit ended up being available in the store, so it worked out, but the customer service wasn't very helpful.  I don't know if you are close to a store, but you might want to check one of them to see if they have it if this doesn't work out.

Hopefully your order will go through.  I have no idea how their stock works either. Maybe it "holds" items in carts and releases them if they aren't purchased after a certain amount of time which might explain the in and out of stock situation in a short time frame, but not over a few days.  
Oh, yes, kind of like on Hautelook where stuff is released after 15 mins or so. That would make sense!

Ugh, I really hope it'll go through. I've been wanting to pick up a foundation (Kat von D) and the Black Dahlia Lip Tar with my VIB gift card, but the foundation's still out of stock and not available in the stores near me either in my color, and the Sephora next to my work was out of Black Dahlia a week ago, then on Friday they had one but I decided to wait.

If they refund me $16 for the lip tar, given that I only paid $33... that would be $17 for a different Lip Tar (I ordered 2 different colors, but only BD was out of stock), an $18 lip scrub and a deluxe sample of the Maracuja Tarte Oil. I would certainly NOT say no to that.. LOL! I can always get the other Lip Tar later on. Unless it's completely sold out everywhere... I guess I'll wait and see. 

Thanks so much for the heads up though! I may just call them tomorrow and ask personally.. just in case. I think the LT I want may be limited edition, so I don't want it to sell out everywhere.. haha.

Latest posts

Back