September 1, 2015 - 30 Day No Buy Challenge

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
to start it, you probably should avoid the mall :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Hopefully in my town, there is only a small grocery store with no make up stall and I am a bit lazy to go shopping elsewhere. Well, to be honest, I do not fancy make-up a lot, I know my colours and only buy when I really need something.
yes but im not alone in this world.

i have brother ans siter who wanted to go to the mall

Can you replace an eyeliner by a eye pencil if you have one? Or trace a line with a dark shadow?
<sigh> Yes. I've got black, dark grey, plum, purple, and an electric blue in hand, but there have been some other colors I've been drooling over (green, navy, black liquid...). I add them to my wish list, and keep on keeping on.

The wish list is starting the month with 20 items (I'm counting the Star Wars collection as one item); let's see what it will end the month at.

I think my problem is that it's too easy. I want something, I order it. By putting myself on a no-buy, and adding it to a list as @@Jayderose suggested, it forces me to think about if I really need it or not. That has been helpful for me. Yes, I did buy today, but for the most part it was items I needed. This is an improvement for me.

I think my problem is that it's too easy. I want something, I order it. By putting myself on a no-buy, and adding it to a list as @@Jayderose suggested, it forces me to think about if I really need it or not. That has been helpful for me. Yes, I did buy today, but for the most part it was items I needed. This is an improvement for me.
this is my problem exactly. I order everything online and it's just too easy. I love the wish list idea. I've been reading the Konmari method too and it's good. I just need to really think if I need it or not and usually the answer is no.

Well, need is really diffucult question, if you have 8 shampoo and you buy a new one, where is the need?

you need to buy or you need the product? what can it do, that other 8 can't?

Konmari advises a lot to through away things, I am against the idea, it is not a solution. It only gives an impression of freedom, the empty space is soon filled. 

I am not judging, sorry if I sound like that

Well, need is really diffucult question, if you have 8 shampoo and you buy a new one, where is the need?

Konmari advises a lot to through away things, I am against the idea, it is not a solution. It only gives an impression of freedom, the empty space is soon filled. 

good points. There is no need. For the same reason when I have 20 eye shadows, I really don't need anymore.  :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20">  I already cleaned out my closet and it was so nice to have it all purged and now it's filled up again so that didn't work so well. I just need to really come up with a "real" wardrobe and stick with that instead of buying multiples of something just because it's a great deal and the quality is horrible and don't last. I'm learning, baby steps.  :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20"> I know exactly what to do, just sticking to it is the problem.  :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20"> 

Well, I love clothing, it is not about fashion, but about having new things.

In make up I was obsessed with lip products since very young and was absolutely crazy about glosses. I think only women can understand that. 

Using up a single gloss can takes ages ( lancome juicy tubes, I rememeber you!) whereas buying them is as quickly as you breathe. 

I am by the way doing now a challenge which is to spend a year with 50£ on cosmetics. September is my 11th month so far, the challenge ends end of October.

I did a lot of compulsive buying even with this small amount. Like shampoo, they are so easy to buy and give impression to be always useful in a household.

Sometimes I abuse of children stuff, because it is not counted in the challenge. There is no shortage, no war, but my kids have 3 bath soaks  :wacko:  and several shampoos too, bodylotions I need to finish myself etc..

My thought is that addiction always finds its way and I have to deal with the problem causing it (lack of social life or unemployement, my case)

Last edited by a moderator:

"for the most part it was items I needed."

Just thought I would go ahead and give out warnings. I received my ultra flyer today and 21 days of saving start September 6th. So stay strong everyone. I think we are in for a roller coaster ride this month with beauty products.

scooby.PNG

I dont have problems in buying as before....

Just tranfered my purchases into clothes,I need clothes more than cosmetics so.....

How is everybody doing?

I've finished yesterday Laura Mercier perfume 15ml and passed to another one half full. 

No other empties or purchases, I try to use foudation samples, some are really dark. 

And one of my August empties was not finished (well, I am happy it isn't), a bb cream has still some product on walls, I saw it in the sunlight and left it stand up in warm water for a night. In the morning a big surprise, good as new. But I do not know how much product is really there, so fingers crossed I will stay pretty longer :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Do you cut you empties to take all the product out?

I've also been using an under eye product several days and feel it dries my skin :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Should I use it on the face? 

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm late but I need to be on a no buy too.

In reality I have enough makeup to get me through the rest of the year (might need a new concealer, but that's about it), but I know better than to try and make that happen. I've toyed with the idea of trying to wait it out until the VIB sale Sephora usually does in November. Should probably take it one month at ta time though. 

Ulta is not an issue for me right now because I had issues with them with my last order. Which is a whole other story that probably belongs somewhere else.

Hello, where are you all?

I really felt like doing some changes in my room and we moved furniture this weekend. With less suface I realized that I really need to downsize my stock.

How do you stock your cosmetics you don't yet used? 

I'm on a No-Buy for September and October :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I am doing a Project Pan until the VIB sale at Sephora (why go before without the discount and when I don't truly need anything??)

I know I won't finish ll of my products by the sale so I will def be on it until I go..

I am panning a blush (my goodness it takes forever)

a concealer (using as an eye base)

a Maybelline Color Whisper

a Benefit Posiebalm (surprisingly really like this though)

a Cargo Swimmables liner

and a Tarte BB cream (done though).

I am so eyeing the new holiday stuff, and I need a new Beauty Blender soon!! I've been looking into the Urban Decay Electric Palette, KVD Shade and Light contour palette, and other things. 

I do need to downsize my makeup but I slowly but surely will.  :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

me too beside my bday purchases so it really wasn't a full no buy for me. After that I was good. Glad it's over. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20"> With so many cute Holiday sets out I think I'm done with no buy for now. I'm still going to really think about what I'll buy if anything but I like the option of being able to get some Holiday sets if I can decide which ones.

Back