Severe Dandruff!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dandruff can be controlled by following a healthy hair care routine. You can also try some simple natural home remedies. It is true that natural remedies take time to show results but they can effectively treat the problem completely. Here one of the home remedy for dandruff is,

Coconut oil helps eliminate dandruff due to its anti fungal properties. It also moisturizes dry scalp and provides relief from itching.

1. Take some coconut oil and mix half the amount of lemon juice in it.
  2. Rub it on your scalp and massage for a few minutes.
  3. Wash your hair after at least 20 minutes.
  4. Follow this remedy two to three times a week.

I have been told that dandruff is actually a fungus. Which probably means we should try to get rid of it asap. Now, my mom told me this trick. It worked for her. I'm not sure if it will work for anyone else. But you can definitely give it a shot :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

She had severe dandruff problems. And now she has pretty much nothing. All she did was, while shampooing her hair, she would REALLY dig in her finger tips (not nails) through her hair and massage vigorously. She did this multiple of times for many days and eventually it really helped her. 

My DH had really bad dandruff for years.  He tried all the conventional over the counter remedies and even went to a derm, but it didn't help.  Then I found Shea Moisture African Black Soap dandruff shampoo/conditioner/scalp treatment and within a week or two, his flakes disappeared.  Whatever ingredients are in this formula worked really well for him.  Moreover, it didn't dry out his hair.  Check the SM website for more info.  You may have to order this formula.  Although Walgreens, CVS, Target, Ulta and Sally's carry SM, none of these store carries the entire line.  I suggest you try Walgreens first though.  You can order from SM directly.  Amazon also carries SM.  I seriously doubt that you're having a prolonged reaction to the color treatment you had a long time ago.  However, last October I used a retinol product on my face and despite medication from the derm, I'm still breaking out in red patches all these months later, so you never know.  HTH.

I've ALWAYS had dandruff, but it's gotten worse within the last 1-2 yrs! It seems to have started when I had a hair dye job at my salon within 2 weeks of each other back then & my scalp got really red. I've always developed dandruff & had to wash my hair once a week. Nowadays, I have bigger flakes developing already on day 2 or 3 after washing. I already use a good quality dandruff shampoo & recently got a scalp treatment conditioner with tea tree oil, but that doesn't help at all.

It looks like I need a more intensive scalp treatment product. I have no extra money to go to a dermatologist. 

Anyone know of any over-the-counter products OR any home remedies, etc. I'm beyond frustrated by these huge flakes! 
mad.gif
I have One Tip.Take lemon juice with 5 tbsp. of coconut oil. Apply to the scalp to get rid of dandruff. Lemon juice is a natural home remedy for dandruff.

I have sebhoreic dermatitis. One year it was so bad I left giant scales everywhere I went and couldn't go five seconds without needing to pick and scratch at my scalp.  I had prescription shampoo, pills, nothing worked. Then I gave up cereal noticing that everything got a zillion times worse when I went on the special k challenge. As long as I stay away from cereal I am 100% flake free. I don't even use store bought anti-dandruff shampoo anymore. 

I recently posted this on (link removed) but wanted to share a short and sweet version for my fellow makeuptalkers on how to get rid of dandruff the natural way.

1. Using borax

How to make

• 3 tablepoon of borax powder or boric acid(suhaga ki kheel or tankan bhasma)
  • 3 tablepoon of neem juice/paste
  • 5 tablespoon of curd or buttermilk and
  • organic coconut oil as per hair requirements.
How to apply

• Mix all the ingredients and apply to your scalp and hair. Leave it for 30 minutes and rinse it with herbal or ayurvedic shampoo.
2. Using FENUGREEK AND SESAME OIL

How to make

• 4 tablespoon fenugreek seeds 
  • A handful of fresh mint leaves,
  • 3 tablespoon fresh lemon juice 
  • 2 tablespoon of organic sesame oil 
How to apply

• Soak fenugreek seeds in the water for overnight. Now add a handful of fresh mint leaves, fresh lemon juice and fenugreek seeds in a grinder to make a fine smooth paste. add water to make spreadable paste. after that add sesame oil to the paste.
  • Apply the paste to your scalp and leave it for 30-40 minutes. Now rinse it off with herbal or ayurvedic shampoo. Apply this mask twice a week for faster result.
3. How to get rid of dandruff using BLACK PEPPER AND OLIVE OIL How to make

•  2 tablespoon black pepper powder 
  • 4 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil/sesame oil/jojoba oil (or  mix 100 g of pepper powder to 200 ml olive oil and keep it in a airtight glass jar for future.).
  • 2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
How to apply

• Let the black pepper powder keep for overnight so that pepper extracts its vitamins and minerals to the oil. 
  • Before apply it to scalp mix  fresh lemon juice. Keep this mixture for 30-40 minutes and rinse it with herbal shampoo. Do this remedy once in a week. After 2 or 3 wash your dandruff will be totally gone. Do not repeat this remedy more than once in a week because pepper will irritate your scalp.

Last edited by a moderator:
From my experience which has been extensive since I deal with 70% of my clients having eczema, psoriasis or mild cases of dandruff, Aestelance makes hands down the best shampoo for dandruff. The shampoo is called flakey and irritated. Its a liquid based shampoo, so instead of using a cream there is a spout that you press directly on the scalp. This allows a much easier and more efficient way of getting the nutrients directly on the scalp. After application massage into the scalp, rinse, then condition. Make sure to condition with Mud Mask (also made by Aestelance) as it's also very nurturing for the dry scalp. This should clear the problem right up and if it's a bad case you'll need to do one more step. After you shampoo and condition some people need to use a product called Balance ( also by Aestelance). The hair should be towel dried. Just apply balance using the spout directly on the scalp all over, rub it in and don't wash it out. Hopefully this helps!

:) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Last edited by a moderator:
Back