Shampoo VS Conditioner

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ever since I stopped using drugstore and supermarket shampoos & conditioner 12 yrs ago my hair grows like crazy and its much better health I agree with HairEgo!

I have read that conditoner is wayyyy more important i for get where it was a hair book i saw at books a million. They said all shampoo is the same basic ingredients(now mind you i read this book in the 90s so maybe things have changed) and conditoner is most important bc its what makes sure hair is healthy.This is what i read i cant remember the name of that dern book lol. So shampoo is just as important? What do u think of the lorel sulfate free line?

I for one would love to learn things from you hairego
smile.gif
. Plz plz plz give us some info ~on knees begging~ ok ok how about just tell us about aussie and garnier are they horrid brands?

Or better yet are the sallys gvp versions of salon products really just as good?

Again i dont kow about the previous poster but i would love to have an expert opinion
smile.gif

Originally Posted by HairEgo /img/forum/go_quote.gif To the first bolded comment - you are contridicting yourself. A more expensive shampoo has higher end ingredients.
To the second bolded comment - I sure could supply you and anyone else who wanted to know ingredient and chemical compound lists, however....product education is something I get PAID to do, and even though i'm generally more then happy to answer any hair related questions as many users will atest too, i'm not particularily willing to jeprodize my career by posting brand testing info.

You are entitled to your opinion, just as everyone else on the forum is. I'm not here to make everyone agree with me...i'm here cause hair is my passion
smile.gif

No I'm not. A quality ingredient is a quality ingredient, regardless of what you SPENT on it. Take for example EVOO. Brand A EVOO costs $2 and Brand B EVOO costs $10. Even though you spent $8 extra for Brand B, that doesn't change the fact that both contain EVOO. If EVOO works for your hair, Brand A will work just as well as Brand B, even though it's "cheap".
As for the second part, of course I don't want anyone to lose their job. But anyone can get an ingredient list of a finished product from the walgreens.com or something. So I'm just saying can you show me a list with where it explicitly states there is wax in a conditioner. I don't need brand testing info because I would not use an untested product. I've taken a few chemistry classes and sat in on a few cosmetology classes, so I know ingredients and why they work and what they are supposed to do. You can PM me if you want.

I too am passionate about hair (you should see how many books I have and how many forums I'm a member of), but I think FACTS about individual ingredients provide a consumer with far more information than a biased OPINION by a company that may have vested interests.

Originally Posted by TwinkletOes26 /img/forum/go_quote.gif I have read that conditoner is wayyyy more important i for get where it was a hair book i saw at books a million. They said all shampoo is the same basic ingredients(now mind you i read this book in the 90s so maybe things have changed) and conditoner is most important bc its what makes sure hair is healthy.This is what i read i cant remember the name of that dern book lol. So shampoo is just as important? What do u think of the lorel sulfate free line?
I for one would love to learn things from you hairego
smile.gif
. Plz plz plz give us some info ~on knees begging~ ok ok how about just tell us about aussie and garnier are they horrid brands?

Or better yet are the sallys gvp versions of salon products really just as good?

Again i dont kow about the previous poster but i would love to have an expert opinion
smile.gif

I haven't tried this shampoo yet, but I did get a free sample of the moisture line in the mail. If you go to the L'Oreal site, I think you can sign up to have one sent to you.

Don't Go Shopping For Hair Products Without Me <--- thats the name of the book i read it in the late 90s early 00s...it was an interesting book. She said when it comes to drug store vs salon that it depends on your hair.

Lets try this with a different approach...

I buy a bottle of nail polish from the dollar store; it contains acetates as all nail polishes do. I paint my nails today and by tommorow evening, all my polish has chipped off.

So I decide to buy a bottle of polish from the nail salon. I paint my nails and am surprised to find that my polish has lasted 4-5 days on the nails without chipping. Both nail polishes contain acetates; however, the dollar store nail polish uses formaldhyde as a preservative and hardener; the salon bought polish brand has found a way to preserve and harden their lacquer without using formaldehyde - but the ingredient used costs more essentially becuase its better/safer for you.

In no way am I saying anything about polish and my knowledge of polish; I'm using polish purely as an example.

The point is, while the main ingredient is the same in both polishes, brand "B" has better quality ingredients and has found a way to eliminate formaldehyde from its lacquers.

Everything I just said can be related back to hair care; while protein is listed as an ingredient on both the cheap and expensive shampoo's, there are different types of protein with different strengths, so while both shampoo's contain protein, shampoo B has a higher percentage of protein then shampoo A does...

Making sense?

Im not disputing you one but like with a cheap nail polish it can be helped with a good base and good top coat...often times a good condish can help with a cheap shampoo at least from what i have read what works with peeps hair(im on several forums and have read several hair books). I know with me i used nexxus and ive used sunsilk and i didnt notice a diff in my hair but thats just me. I notice a BIG difference in cheap condish vs salon condish.So maybe the fact that i use a salon brand(sally knock off LOL) helps with the moisture sucking affects of the shampoo. Also i co wash the day b4 i actually shampoo(got that tip from a curly girls book) and so maybe that helps too. I think it does boil down to hair. Again not disuputing you one bit but just throwing things out there...So in a sense maybe the salon brand deep condish and condish are like a good base and top coat..

I hope that made sense

again not disputing you...youve been nothing but helpful God knows you have helped my hair. I used kpack like you said my hair breakage is GONE...but im just throwing that out there as maybe why ppl dont think shampoo matters bc the salon brand deep and regular condish helps with the moisture the cheap shampoo sucked out.

On another note i dont shampoo the length of my hair except twice month bc i read that when you rinse out the shampoo slides down the shaft taking product with it is this true?

Yes twinkle, thats true. I dont shampoo the length of my hair what so ever...I have really long hair and and being so, it is naturally going to be dryer. The only time I will shampoo the length is if I am using a clarifying shampoo.

Glad to hear the k-pak is workin out for you
smile.gif

I'm going to point out again that I'm not here to try and convince anyone on here that my knowledge trumps their knowledge or to force my opinion down peoples throats; i'm simply sharing the facts i know to be true as I have been in the hair industry for 9 years and have held various positions during that time (brand market research, product educator, stylist..etc) and being so, have absorbed a great deal of knowledge.

Originally Posted by HairEgo /img/forum/go_quote.gif Lets try this with a different approach...
I buy a bottle of nail polish from the dollar store; it contains acetates as all nail polishes do. I paint my nails today and by tommorow evening, all my polish has chipped off.

So I decide to buy a bottle of polish from the nail salon. I paint my nails and am surprised to find that my polish has lasted 4-5 days on the nails without chipping. Both nail polishes contain acetates; however, the dollar store nail polish uses formaldhyde as a preservative and hardener; the salon bought polish brand has found a way to preserve and harden their lacquer without using formaldehyde - but the ingredient used costs more essentially becuase its better/safer for you.

In no way am I saying anything about polish and my knowledge of polish; I'm using polish purely as an example.

The point is, while the main ingredient is the same in both polishes, brand "B" has better quality ingredients and has found a way to eliminate formaldehyde from its lacquers.

Everything I just said can be related back to hair care; while protein is listed as an ingredient on both the cheap and expensive shampoo's, there are different types of protein with different strengths, so while both shampoo's contain protein, shampoo B has a higher percentage of protein then shampoo A does...

Making sense?

You are still missing my point. If Shampoo A has water, SLS, foaming agent, preservative, fragrance as it's ingredient list and Shampoo B has water, SLS, foaming agent, preservative, fragrance as it's ingredient list, it's the same product regardless of what price is placed on it. Price is an emotional concern companies place on their product because they know so many consumers buy into the myth that if it costs more it's better when that is not always the case.

Originally Posted by Noir Sakura /img/forum/go_quote.gif You are still missing my point. If Shampoo A has water, SLS, foaming agent, preservative, fragrance as it's ingredient list and Shampoo B has water, SLS, foaming agent, preservative, fragrance as it's ingredient list, it's the same product regardless of what price is placed on it. Price is an emotional concern companies place on their product because they know so many consumers buy into the myth that if it costs more it's better when that is not always the case. And you are missing MY point.....as I said before, while the ingredient list may be the same there are different variations of said ingredient.....

HE one question though then im tip toeing out of here cos its getting HOT LOL ....

Have you ever heard of sallys beauty supplies versions of salon brands they claim to be the same thing i have the kpak knock off of theirs....is it the same or is that a lie?

Originally Posted by HairEgo /img/forum/go_quote.gif And you are missing MY point.....as I said before, while the ingredient list may be the same there are different variations of said ingredient..... That may or may not be true. However, even if it is, the "better" variation of the ingredients will not always be in the more expensive product container.

The ones that are trying to prove Hairego wrong .. just keep using the cheap shampoo u always have been
laughing.gif

To Hairego; some people are stubborn , even though they haven't tried the healthier stuff .. oh well its their loss I guess ..

I agree with you Noir Sakura. I have naturally curly hair, and have tried the gamut of products(spendy and cheap) to get my hair right. Spendy didn't get me better results.

Ricci, why be condescending just because some disagree with you? How mature is that?

Originally Posted by internetchick /img/forum/go_quote.gif I agree with you Noir Sakura. I have naturally curly hair, and have tried the gamut of products(spendy and cheap) to get my hair right. Spendy didn't get me better results.
Ricci, why be condescending just because some disagree with you? How mature is that?

Dont make me look bad when I didnt do anything wrong.. we r allowed to make a point
my point was people argue about things even though they havent given the stuff a chance or never tried it

Who knew conversations about hair could get so heated? lol.
smile.gif

IMO, price does generally reflect quality...but I don't believe that is an absolute. HairEgo used nail polish as an example, so I'll go with that. NYC makes nail polish that is cheap, DBP Free, Toluene Free & Free of Added Formaldehyde and it lasts at least a week without chipping. I think it's possible to find good nail polishes, cosmetics, and haircare products at the drugstore so long as you know what you're looking for. It's just easier to find good products at a salon.

Originally Posted by StereoXGirl /img/forum/go_quote.gif Who knew conversations about hair could get so heated? lol.
smile.gif

IMO, price does generally reflect quality...but I don't believe that is an absolute. HairEgo used nail polish as an example, so I'll go with that. NYC makes nail polish that is cheap, DBP Free, Toluene Free & Free of Added Formaldehyde and it lasts at least a week without chipping. I think it's possible to find good nail polishes, cosmetics, and haircare products at the drugstore so long as you know what you're looking for. It's just easier to find good products at a salon.

Well said
wink.gif

Originally Posted by Ricci /img/forum/go_quote.gif Dont make me look bad when I didnt do anything wrong.. we r allowed to make a point
my point was people argue about things even though they havent given the stuff a chance or never tried it

I am not making you look bad. I like the info being shared by some, but can do without condescension. IMO it was not necessary to call people stubborn who disagree, and to assume things like they haven't tried anything other than cheap products.

Quote:
How mature is that? This wasnt making me look bad? that was IMHO as well and Im allowed to express my opinions as well as long as it wasnt mean and I wasnt being mean at all

Originally Posted by internetchick /img/forum/go_quote.gif I am not making you look bad. I like the info being shared by some, but can do without condescension. IMO it was not necessary to call people stubborn who disagree, and to assume things like they haven't tried anything other than cheap products.

My im use to seeing drama on the other forums im on but here i never see any lol this is strange. Ricci i agree with Internet Chick. Dont assume bc some choose to keep using drugstore brands that they have never tried salon brands. Ive tried salon brands off and on when i could afford them and like i said b4 i saw no diff with shampoo on deep and regular condish.

Back