Shelf Life of Eye Shadows?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Girls...i was cleaning my bathroom drawers tonight and found eye shadows that i forgot i had...i think they're from 2-3 years ago. can i still use them? i'm not sure if it's safe to use since i'm using them around my eyes...any advice would be great! thanks :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I did...unfortunately, I couldn't find a matching one...maybe one of the Mods can tell me...feel free to delete this if there's an existing one. thanks

Hmmm let me see if I can find anything... BRB

Here you go....Here's some links that should help you out!

When to Throw MU Away

How Long Do you Keep your MU?

Foundation Shelf Life

MU Shelf Life Chart

Shelf Life of Cosmetics

Makeup Shelf Life

Darn they did not show up as links... Sorry....

Powder products can last years and years if stored in a cool, dry place. A lot of articles tell you only 2 years but that's just to make you keep buying!

I have a couple of mac eyeshadows that Ive had for over a year and a half, they still work good, also a mac kohl eyeliner but I dont use it that often

My mom is so thrifty she still uses stuff from 10 years ago, and it doesn't look bad. I'm planning to keep mine until they start growing mold!

I have some older stuff too but I still use it, I think it's okay as long as you don't get it all in your eyes or something.

10 years, wow.

I'm thinking about buying some makeup now to wear when I get to college, but I wasn't sure if it's a good idea to stock up this soon.

yes i dont have any probs with old make up, i dont think it has a best before date on it, its just the styles which go out out fasion heheh

The only thing I keep longer than what is listed above is eyeshadows and powder blush. The rest gets disposed or used up.

I think powder e/s shelf life is pretty long! My grandma passed down to me my first MAC e/s a couple years ago, Swish, and TRUST its old, its in one of those e/s containers from MAC that you have to unscrew open, not even flip open like the normal new packaging there is now! The pigment is still smooth and bright!

On the other hand I do have a drugstore e/s from Marcelle and it has after about a year or two (Ive forgotten..) lost its initial smoothness and pigment. Its still ok but not comparable to new.. Im sad because its the second time I bought this color and it got d/c.. which sucks! It was one of absolute favorite most beautiful color so I use it up anyways :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> The first time I bought it I almost hit pan on it, but it took a fall and smashed up anyway, so I bought another. Should've bought backups! Dang lol theres a way to learn a valuable lesson!

i think powder e/s can last very long. as long as it still looks good, i think yo ucan use it. i used to play with my mom's makeup (because she has some stuff even if she rarely use it lol) and some of her things are old.

i guess quality e/s can even last longer.

Back