Should I get my nose pierced? (And a few other questions)

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by Dalylah /img/forum/go_quote.gif

As someone who has 3 tattoos make sure you really want it. Piercings can close but tattoos are forever. I know you can get them removed but it is super expensive and generally leaves a huge scar. My best advice with tattoos is pick what you want, wait 6 months and if you still want it then get it. This eliminates impulse decisions.
Originally Posted by amberlamps /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I agree, Dalylah.

I'm currently getting my tattoo removed, 14 sessions so far, roughly 6 more to go. It hasn't shown signs of scarring yet though. Think really hard about whether you really want the tattoo, KeepOnSingin. I'd wait 2 years, personally.
I've wanted this tattoo for 2 1/2 years. I've had it planned out and everything. The only reason I don't have it yet is because my mom hates tattoos and I thought she'd be really upset if I got one. But she'd prefer me to get this tattoo than my nose pierced because it's going to be on my foot which is easily hidden unlike my nose.

Originally Posted by amberlamps /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I agree, Dalylah.

I'm currently getting my tattoo removed, 14 sessions so far, roughly 6 more to go. It hasn't shown signs of scarring yet though. Think really hard about whether you really want the tattoo, KeepOnSingin. I'd wait 2 years, personally.
Wow. I wanted a tat but wasn't to excited about any character to have it permanently attached to my body. Plus its almost impossible for someone of color to have it removed. Maybe someone with lighter skin but definitely not my shade. Im glad you mentioned your experience Amberlamps. Its something to really think about.

I say do what YOU want. If you're a legal adult then don't worry what your mother thinks because while her opinion is important it should make YOU happy not her.

What my mom thinks matters A LOT. She pays for basically everything (college tuition, food, textbooks)...so I have to respect her likes and dislikes.

I'm with Amber on that. As a mom of a now 18-year-old I'm happy she listens to me when I give her my opinion but to me it's HER body not mine and if she wants a tattoo or piercing it's up to her. I just won't pay for it. lol

My mom is paying for most of my tattoo. She said that if I got it instead of getting my nose pierced she would pay the difference (and that's about $100). That's how much she doesn't want me to get my nose pierced!

You should still wait until you move out before doing it, otherwise, IMO, it's a bit disrespectful, even if she offered to pay for it. It's the lesser of two evils in her mind, I'm sure.

I didn't even get mine when I lived at home, but my mom was still upset when I got it. So upset that she offered to pay for me to get rid of it, and has paid for all of the sessions but one or two of them.

There's no way I'm passing up the opportunity to only pay about 1/3 of the price for a tattoo that I've wanted for years!! Especially since I'm 22 and have totally respected her in terms of body mods forever. And I'm never again going to get the opportunity to get a tattoo for so cheap. It would be dumb not to get it!!

Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm with Amber on that. As a mom of a now 18-year-old I'm happy she listens to me when I give her my opinion but to me it's HER body not mine and if she wants a tattoo or piercing it's up to her. I just won't pay for it. lol
I'm almost 19 now and my mom is very open-minded. I listen to her opinions and certainly respect them, she's my mother & I live in her house, but my mom also treats me as an adult which has really helped me grow. When I got my nose pierced at 16, she signed everything for me to do it -- but I did pay for it. I'm sure had I asked her to do so, she would have but I just wanted it done.

On the flip side, I don't necessarily think being young is any good reason to deter KeepOnSignin from getting tatted. But I do agree with everyone -- make sure it's something you want. However, seeing as how you've wanted it for almost 3 years now I think it's safe to say it has some sort of significant value to you - you're 22 and so you can think of possible repercussions. I've wanted the same tat since I was 14 -- I wanted it at 14 (I don't have it) & I still do want it, 4 years later. I just don't know where =P

And my final point (lol) is exactly what Zadidoll said earlier. DO WHAT MAKES YOU HAPPY. If you respect your mom's wishes enough to not get your nose pierced AND it's something you really want AND she'll pay for, I don't see why not. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I'm getting the tat. My appointment is Friday afternoon.

And I've wanted the tat longer than I've wanted my nose pierced...and there are other piercings I want that wouldn't bother my mom...so it's all good.

So... what is your tattoo going to be?
icon_lol.gif

A quill (as in the feather writing instrument) that comes from my ankle to the outside of my foot with the words "Let it be" coming out of it :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by KeepOnSingin /img/forum/go_quote.gif

A quill (as in the feather writing instrument) that comes from my ankle to the outside of my foot with the words "Let it be" coming out of it :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
Any particular story behind it? 

Yay about your appt on Friday! You'll have to post a pic!

Originally Posted by Baberanza /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Any particular story behind it? 

Yay about your appt on Friday! You'll have to post a pic!
I've always loved the Beatles, especially Let it Be...and one of my life philosophies is that everything happens for a reason so I take the phrase "let it be" to heart because I honestly believe that even if a situation seems bad/grim/unwanted, things are actually as they should be.

The quill I think will just add a nice touch to make it a bit more unique and look really cool.

And of course I'll post a pic!

Photo removed at posters request
That's awesome. Be sure to take good care of it; I don't have any tats so I don't know the care rules, but I know there are a few for the first few weeks or whatever! Lol! I'm glad you got what you wanted, in the end! =)

Thanks guys! I'm definitely being careful with it, although I had to wear shoes for most of today (I had work, and then I had to help my dad with getting our Christmas tree)...and now I'm wearing slippers because my feet were FREEZING and I'm up and around the house, not wrapped up in bed under my blankets, but as soon as my feet warm up I'll take them off...it's just that I just got back home from being outside for nearly an hour, so my feet got really cold. The artist also guarantees his work for 1 year, so if I do get any fading/blurring or whatnot, I can get it touched up for free.

Thanks guys! I'm definitely being careful with it, although I had to wear shoes for most of today (I had work, and then I had to help my dad with getting our Christmas tree)...and now I'm wearing slippers because my feet were FREEZING and I'm up and around the house, not wrapped up in bed under my blankets, but as soon as my feet warm up I'll take them off...it's just that I just got back home from being outside for nearly an hour, so my feet got really cold. The artist also guarantees his work for 1 year, so if I do get any fading/blurring or whatnot, I can get it touched up for free.
That's awesome!

Yeah, it's pretttty cold in these parts, too!

Back