Should I throw away my nail polish?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a nail polish that I brought a year or two ago. It's about 3/4 used and I noticed there's a ring of the color but darker on top and I was wondering should I throw it away? I shake it and the darker ring goes away.

Nail polish typically does not spoil. I'm speculating the dark ring you're seeing is a separation of the clear lacquer from the mica and pigments that make the color.

Oh okay thanks, I just wanted to make sure I could use it safely.
smile.gif

Just give it a good shake.  If it had thickened, you can get nail polish thinner to make it easier to apply. 

Roll the bottle between your hands upside-down before using or let it sit upside-down for a while.  Certain colors/pigments just do that from time to time.  I have a few in my collection that are notorious for looking like that.

Originally Posted by kdrzrbck /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I only throw away nail polish if it starts to thicken up on me. 
But you can buy a polish restorer for a few bucks and fix it.

I think they only time a polish is totally dead is if it completely dries into a total crust.  I guess I could say the same thing about paint too.

This is good to know!  I generally keep nail polish until it runs out or I can't open it for the life of me.

Latest posts

Back