Silk Powder

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
rejectstar,

Lumiere's Pure Silk is 100% silk powder (as stated on their website) but their Veena Silk has other ingredients in them (ingredent list: avena sativa, silk powder, mica, oryza sativa, rosemary extract oil, iron oxide) like oat powder. You maybe getting irritation from one of the other ingredients in the Veena Silk.

sgoofi,

I use silk powder as a primer, it doesn't make my acne any worse, in terms of oil control, silk powder is not as effective as kaolin clay. That's probably why the reviews are mixed.

Originally Posted by Piximus /img/forum/go_quote.gif sgoofi,

I use silk powder as a primer, it doesn't make my acne any worse, in terms of oil control, silk powder is not as effective as kaolin clay. That's probably why the reviews are mixed.

Silica (I like Ronaspheres) is an excellent primer. Makes your pores disappear and skin feel silky smooth. I think it's good for oily skin also.

Hi Hoozey,

Thanks for the great tip. I have yet to sample a primer that makes my pores disappear. You are putting ideas into my head to make my own... hehe!!
biggrin.gif

I'm trying to put an order on TKB, unfortunately its server seems to stop working after I've put silk powder, silica microsphere and some beautiful micas in the cart...
frown.gif

I'm a bit torn between Ronasphere and Silica microsphere though. Maybe I should buy both and compare?

Originally Posted by kristi_suen /img/forum/go_quote.gif I'm a bit torn between Ronasphere and Silica microsphere though. Maybe I should buy both and compare?

If you buy both, make sure you let us all know which you like better!
laughing.gif

Is the silica ok to use? On another forum, I read that is can cause lung disease.

Anyone?

Originally Posted by Piximus /img/forum/go_quote.gif rejectstar,Lumiere's Pure Silk is 100% silk powder (as stated on their website) but their Veena Silk has other ingredients in them (ingredent list: avena sativa, silk powder, mica, oryza sativa, rosemary extract oil, iron oxide) like oat powder. You maybe getting irritation from one of the other ingredients in the Veena Silk.

I used the pure silk powder, I got it before they had the Veena Silk... actually I didn't even know that existed until you mentioned it, LOL. I think I'm going to take my sample out and give it another go.

Originally Posted by maryfitz24 /img/forum/go_quote.gif Is the silica ok to use? On another forum, I read that is can cause lung disease.
Anyone?

Mary- I think when they talk about this contributing to lung disease it is more a workplace, lots of exposure issue. I imagine almost any particulate could be an issue in large amounts. I don't think applying it once a day with MMU would be harmful. Other ingredients in normal MMU pose the same risk, but it's the amount of exposure. That's why the makers wear dust masks because they would be breathing in large amounts otherwise. HTH

I haven't noticed breakouts with my EDM silk powder... but I normally use it for touch up (because of the nice finish). It just doesn't have the oil control I need to use it as a finishing powder in the morning.

Originally Posted by amethystangel /img/forum/go_quote.gif Is silk powder suitable for dry/combo skin? I get flakies around my nose... I have always heard that silk powder is best for dry skin, I think that's why I've never tried it, cuz I have super oily skin, LOL!

Jazzwhore, Lumiere has nice silk powders, and so does Everyday Minerals. They both offer tinted versions, which is what I would suggest over the plain white silk.

Does anyone have a recipe to make your own silk powder? I'm thinking of putting in an order from TKB soon.

Thanks!

I use silk in soapmaking, they are the best and most luxurious of all my soaps!

i've read that silk powder (even as it is) is a good primer for all skin types, as does calcium carbonate, pearl powder & silica miscrosphere...

silica microsphere is best for controlling oilies/oilier skin

hths

Originally Posted by simplicity /img/forum/go_quote.gif i've read that silk powder (even as it is) is a good primer for all skin types, as does calcium carbonate, pearl powder & silica miscrosphere...
silica microsphere is best for controlling oilies/oilier skin

hths

Thanks for the the info.

Back