* Skin Care Remorse *

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by vanilla_sky oh, how I wish I knew better about sunscreens
icon_cry.gif
when I was a kid I was burned so many times, i dont think i could count... as a teenager I sunbathed for ages without any protection... or I used to put spf 8 on the beach like once... but as somebody said before - in 80, even 90 we just didn't know any better.even two years before when I thought I was more educated and I started using sunscreens I still wasnt protecting myself properly. I went to seaside and I was on the beach with spf 15 on my face, which i put only once and I believed I was protected!
eek.gif
and for ages I used creams that we can buy in the US and just recently I found out that the filters in them are not stabile, and that they dont give good uva protection. I wish I knew before about mexyrol and about how much cream we have to put on to get the actual protection and all that.. well, at least I discovered it now when I am 24, not when I am let's say 60...

when i was teenager i was picking my pimples excessively.. I wish I never did that. Now I have many red spots on my face that make me remember of my bad habits.

I used to smoke.. I wish I never listened to my friend that told me to try. I used to have the worst sleeping habbits. I used to party a lot, a lot, a lot... I slept in my makeup many times
mad.gif

I wish I was raised with better awareness of sports, health, good diet. as a kid I used to stuff myself and nobody told me you can be different. My whole family was doing it. they were eating all the time and nobody was encouraging me to do sports. I wish I was taught to be more athletic in my teens. now its hard to change. I still struggle to make my body look and feel better... It would be much easier if I started earlier.

hehe seems like I had pretty rough lifestyle
wink.gif
anyway, I think I look good for such sinful life
wink.gif
icon_twisted.gif
and now of course I try to make my ways more healthy
icon_lol.gif

Exactly the same problem with the eating thing. Used to stuff my face so much, esp. with fast food, chinese food, candy, and cookies, since it's practically all my dad would buy.

And picking on my skin SO much. Used to spend hours trying to get all the gunk out. Mad about that now.
icon_mad.gif

I agree with the food thing, it really affects the way your skin looks and feels.

My mon use to say that whatever you eat affects the way you look and its TRUE!! She says that if you are not eating properly ( like junking out alot) you will get alot of zits on the hairline of your forehead! and whats worst is that it can spread!!! YIKES!
eek.gif

Originally Posted by shiso Exactly the same problem with the eating thing. Used to stuff my face so much, esp. with fast food, chinese food, candy, and cookies, since it's practically all my dad would buy.
And picking on my skin SO much. Used to spend hours trying to get all the gunk out. Mad about that now.
icon_mad.gif

Well, i'm only 17, so hopefully i have enough time to repair my skin, but i do regret starting to wear make up at such a young age (11). As soon as i hit high school, i started wearing really bad, cheap greasy foundation, without washing toning or moisturising properly. I didn't even need to wear it, just wanted to look 'grown up' but i think that bad treatment led to the spots which inevitably led to the scarring,
rolleyes.gif
also wish i hadn't plucked my eyebrows till i knew how to do it properly!!

But on the other hand, i've never burnt my face and now wear spf30 everyday so it least it should be wrinkle free for years to come!!

claps.gif

I definitely regret not using sunscreen until my mid to late twenties and most of all tanning in a tanning salon when I was in my early twenties. I think if there's one anti-aging tip that really works, it's stay out of the sun!

Sandy
icon_smile.gif

I am certainly not promoting cosmetic surgery here, but in response to those of you with sun damaged skin, acne scars etc., there is a procedure that will, depending on the severity of your damages, erase, improve or at least minimize many of the complaints I've read about in this thread. I had cystic acne for nearly 12 years. Convinced that my acne was less visible with a tan, not only did I torture my skin by routinely "performing surgery" on the cysts, I baked in the sun as well and oh yes, in my wild teenage days, I smoked cigarettes. By age 38 I was extremely self-conscious of the acne scars along my lower jawline and I had crows feet and deep smile lines from all of the tanning. I did a lot of research on procedures that would be most effective in reducing the acne scars. After several consultations and tons of study, I elected to have a surgical dermabrasion and the results were amazing, even after the first procedure. I had this done in New Orleans by a dermatologist who is known for his skill in performing this particular surgery, and yes, don't be confused.... this is not microdermabrasion, this is actual "sanding of the facial tissue down to the collagen layer". It was expensive, approximately $5000 including the lodging at his clinic etc., but well worth it. To keep the skin smooth and uniform, he abrades the entire facial area but first performs a chemical peel under the eyes. Two years later I had a second procedure done and the results were even more impressive. It accomplished two things 1.) minimized/smoothed the deep acne caverns 2.) amazing wrinkle erasure. There are downsides which I won't go into here, but for acne scars and sun damage, this procedure worked for me. I may actually do this one more time. So yes, we can all kick ourselves for smoking, sleeping in our makeup, tanning and excising our acne lesions, but the good news is that in our sophisticated world, there are tons of products and procedures that can correct or at least minimize some of the damages we inflict on ourselves.

Originally Posted by sugersoul My mom always tells me she regrets not wearing sun screen when she was young, that's why i have resulted to wearing it everyday since i was 14
smile.gif

what about everyone else?

is there anything u wish u had incorporated into ur skin care regiment when u were younger?

i regret squeezing my zits when i was going through puberty, resulting in scars NOW.

mad.gif

Oh the regrets......

I wish my mom put sunscreen on me when I was little. I had a severe sunburn when I was 5 and grew a mole on my nose that I always worry about. I have to get it checked every year.

I wish I would have appreciated my pretty smooth skin as teenager. Instead I slathered on disgusting foundation.

I wish NOW that I wasn't under so much pressure to be perfect. Maybe If I didn't stress out that I will wake up with a pimple, I wouldn't get pimples. Beauty can be so fickle.

i have been wearing sunscreen religiously since i was 16, but had some pretty bad burns when i was a kid. i was also brown in the summer as a kid. i regret eating so much junkfood when i was in highschool and college! definately bad for the skin!!

more than anything....i also regret not appreciating how great my skin looked when i was younger and nitpicking so much!

Back