Smashbox Shadow

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I posted a few days ago about my mini haul well in it was a pallete of 6 shadows. I must say I am not impressed. I loved the gloss, mascara and the foundation primer but these shadows seem a little weak. Am I possibly doing something wrong would you ladies please share your Smashbox shadow experiences.

Originally Posted by PhantomGoddess /img/forum/go_quote.gif I've never used Smashbox E/S but did you try using a base? I was going to ask the same thing.

I have a Smashbox eye shadow trio in Viewfinder. My mom picked it out for me.

I really hated it at first. I didn't like how the colors looked together.

[One of the colors, a salmon pink, doesn't show up much on my skin, also.]

But I just recently started using each shadow on their own, and I use it almost daily now. =)

I have a few, the trios basically. At first I didnt like them either, but you kind of have to work with them, they tend to be real sheer sometimes. I really like them now, they work great on the brow bone.

Thanks guys I did nto reall use a base unless the foundation primer or my foundation counts as 1, I will give them another shot 2morrow.

Originally Posted by Faith-Abigail /img/forum/go_quote.gif I was going to ask the same thing. You and me both!

Originally Posted by PhantomGoddess /img/forum/go_quote.gif Try them with the MAC shadesticks or paint pots I wanna get these too, but I'm a bit apprehensive cuzI have fat hooded lids and they say beware of frost and most paintpots and shadesticks are frosted...
frown.gif

I love the Smashbox shadows I have. A base definitely makes the difference though. To me, without the base, the e/s just aren't as pigmented (obviously), but don't seem to go on as "smoothly."

Originally Posted by reesesilverstar /img/forum/go_quote.gif You and me both!

I wanna get these too, but I'm a bit apprehensive cuzI have fat hooded lids and they say beware of frost and most paintpots and shadesticks are frosted...
frown.gif

Have you ever tried any of those? They might look fine. Another alternative are the jumbo eye pencils from NYX I hear they work great as a base. Cheap too. Either way I still highly recommend you use UDPP on your lids to ensure that nothing creases.

i really like my smashbox shadows, and as with pretty much any shadow, a base will make it look even better. The ones i have are so velvety, i feel like they blend really easily.

Originally Posted by PhantomGoddess /img/forum/go_quote.gif Have you ever tried any of those? They might look fine. Another alternative are the jumbo eye pencils from NYX I hear they work great as a base. Cheap too. Either way I still highly recommend you use UDPP on your lids to ensure that nothing creases. Yeah, UDPP makes a big difference. And sometimes with shadows you just have to play around. Sometimes, when a brand-new shadow isn't working, I'll take a small tissue and wipe the top layer off. I don't know why, but a lot of times the pigmentation is better after I do this.

Originally Posted by Faith-Abigail /img/forum/go_quote.gif Yeah, UDPP makes a big difference. And sometimes with shadows you just have to play around. Sometimes, when a brand-new shadow isn't working, I'll take a small tissue and wipe the top layer off. I don't know why, but a lot of times the pigmentation is better after I do this. This is a good idea, I never thought of doing this lol. I have one Smashbox e/s, the sparkly black one too, and I havent used it anymore than once. I didnt try it with a base, but just applying it, it was so sheer and hard to work with I totally hated it. But it is a very pretty color so maybe Ill try this tissue trick and use my UDPP whenever I try it again.
I used to think Smashboxes cream eyeliners were crap too (they aren't very good at any rate) but again, the colors gorgeous, I bought 2, and they only work kind of ok now after I wiped off their top layers entirely. And I still dont like them much lol use them more for a base than anything
frown.gif

Hi,

Thanks for the heads up. I haven't used my trio sets yet, but I'll make sure I put the UDPP on first.

I have that same set and I love the shadows in the Smashbox palette. I agree with using a base, but even if I don't use a base the shadows come out very pigmented on me.

I use smashbox eyeliner... It works great. I don't know about their eyeshadow though.

Latest posts

Back