Still searching for that Holy Grail.... Top 5 Difficult Product Categories

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I actually have tried MD Elta and LOVED it, but I can't use it because it has a high concentration of silicones, which break me out badly. I'm so sad... I wish they made a silicone-free version. It'd definitely be my HG if it weren't for that. Same with Supergoop- too many silicones! :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Oh, have you seen that some people use letter sorters for their palettes? I use a white lace one from Office Depot, but this one is cute too and would match any acrylic organizers you already have for your makeup.

1023248463.jpg

Ooh, I am also looking for a fine-tipped angle liner brush. And by fine, I mean really skinny, yet also sturdy. I have tried the Anastasia #12 brush which seems really awesome- have you ever tried that? Would you say it's fine enough for what you're looking for?
That letter sorter for palettes is a great idea!

I have a lot of organization issues; I personally prefer to put my makeup and fragrances into drawers so they're out of sight but I live in a small apartment and my makeup is currently fighting with my clothes for space in the dresser. I've taken to sorting through my stash every week and pulling out items I want to use so I can keep the rest in my closet. It's a little frustrating. (This is all very off topic so my apologies!)

1) Concealer- I have both dark circles and also really prevalent veins under my eyes. I've heard veins on the lids are common, and concealers or using eyeshadow solves that for me, but nothing hides my under eye veins

2) Blemish Fix-It Products- For white heads and black heads I mean, I have terrible white heads on the sides of my nose and nothing works. 

3) Setting Spray- I just want a decent smelling setting spray that works and won't set me back 50 nonreturnable dollars 

4) Nail Polish- My high expectations include: Fast drying, super strong non-chipping formula, and gorgeous colors

5) Everything Hair- Nothing that has a smell I'm willing to keep in my hair will work to keep my hair detangled, frizz, and split-end free

This is my first time posting, been reading great posts for a month or so but I love this topic so I figured it was time to jump in!

Lipstick - I looove lipstick but just haven't found the end all be all of formulas. Either it makes my lips too dry, fades inside 30 minutes or just settles into the creases in my lips and looks terrible!

Anti frizz - I have fine hair and silicone based serums weigh my hair down. I have been battling my hair my entire life and bought and tried hundreds of products but I still haven't found anything that truly works. I'd even be willing to go high priced for this category. That's how desperate I am for this one!

Eyeliner - UD primer potion in my absolute HG for eyelids, but I still haven't found the perfect eyeliner. My next purchase will be 24/7 liner, I've heard great things!

Foundation - Right now I'm crazy happy with my IT Cosmetics your skin but better CC cream, but I'm using that because I still haven't found my perfect foundation. Before I found IT, I was using Bare Minerals powder foundation but I didn't like that either!

Mascara - I've found several brands I really like but nothing of HG status. I like longer and fuller with no clumping but easy to remove and still keeps lashes somewhat soft. My next try is Full and Soft by Maybelline.

As for my HG's -

IT CC Cream

UD primer potion

UD make up setting spray - they have a regular one and one for oily skin! I love thus stuff!

I actually have tried MD Elta and LOVED it, but I can't use it because it has a high concentration of silicones, which break me out badly. I'm so sad... I wish they made a silicone-free version. It'd definitely be my HG if it weren't for that. Same with Supergoop- too many silicones! :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Oh, have you seen that some people use letter sorters for their palettes? I use a white lace one from Office Depot, but this one is cute too and would match any acrylic organizers you already have for your makeup.

1023248463.jpg

Ooh, I am also looking for a fine-tipped angle liner brush. And by fine, I mean really skinny, yet also sturdy. I have tried the Anastasia #12 brush which seems really awesome- have you ever tried that? Would you say it's fine enough for what you're looking for?
No I haven't used that brush, it looks like the Cargo #10 or Stila #10 brush. I don't like the spoolie at the end though, but it's not deal killer either.

@@Shalott This is going to sound crazy but have you looked at the Younique 3D mascara? One of my Facebook friends invited me to an "online party" and basically she keeps posting pictures of her using it and it legitimately looks like false lashes on her. I almost want to try it but I'm afraid to fall in love with a $30 mascara. 

As for HG items I'm searching for:

• Foundation-- I have never found a foundation or way to apply that looks great on me. I've tried all formulas and all application methods and Idk if I'm doing something wrong or what. 
  • Hair products-- Same boat. I hate my hair so much and I think if I knew how to style it correctly it wouldn't be such a problem. So I'm really looking for my HG styling method as well as products. 
Which figures. I have stuff I love except two major categories. 

@@Shalott This is going to sound crazy but have you looked at the Younique 3D mascara? One of my Facebook friends invited me to an "online party" and basically she keeps posting pictures of her using it and it legitimately looks like false lashes on her. I almost want to try it but I'm afraid to fall in love with a $30 mascara. 

As for HG items I'm searching for:

• Foundation-- I have never found a foundation or way to apply that looks great on me. I've tried all formulas and all application methods and Idk if I'm doing something wrong or what. 
  • Hair products-- Same boat. I hate my hair so much and I think if I knew how to style it correctly it wouldn't be such a problem. So I'm really looking for my HG styling method as well as products. 
Which figures. I have stuff I love except two major categories. 
I'm slightly hesitant because I've heard the fibers shed into your eyes really bad, and my eyes are so sensitive anyways that I don't need the extra irritation. <_<   But thank you for the suggestion!

The hardest for me are:

Foundation

Mascara

eyeliner for the bottom lashes that doesn't smudge

bronzer

eyebrow pencil

The hardest for me are:

Foundation

Mascara

eyeliner for the bottom lashes that doesn't smudge

bronzer

eyebrow pencil
Have you tried Hourglass' 1.5mm Mechanical Gel eyeliner yet? That is what I use in my waterline. It is one of the only eyeliners that I have ever gotten to stay there all day without smudging or disappearing. 

I'm slightly hesitant because I've heard the fibers shed into your eyes really bad, and my eyes are so sensitive anyways that I don't need the extra irritation. <_<   But thank you for the suggestion!
I've used it and I haven't had any shedding problems with it. However, it goes on clumpy on me. The mascara seems really wet and goes on heavily, no matter how much I scrape off the brush. I usually have to comb out my lashes which removes most of the fibers, which completely defeats the purpose. I have also used Too Faced better than false lashes which is the same concept, and it looks amazing on me, but it smudges and never dries completely leaving your lashes feeling sticky all day. For $30+ for those mascaras, I expect better...

I, too, am still searching for an HG mascara that lengthens, volumizes and doesn't flake, clump, or smudge while is still eady to remove. I can't seem to find one that does it all.

I'm still looking for a foundation that knocks my socks off but I don't have much hope that one exists.

I am allergic to antiperspirants and have been searching for YEARS to find a deodorant that works all day. I like Lavanilla but it strangely works intermittently for me and never lasts all day. I have a whole list of "I will never buy again" deodorants though.

I don't have a HG shampoo/conditioner. I've never used one that I would want to use exclusively.

My big struggle is BLUSH. I can't seem to get something that is both 1) relatively natural looking 2) actually makes a difference. It's probably just due to my skintone- light/medium with an olive undertone. Everything disappears or looks clownish with no middle ground.

My big holy grail is Kat Von D's everyasting liquid lipsticks. I've never liked a lip product so much.

You know how most people have some holy grail products?

Well, it seems no matter how many HG products someone has, they're still always on the search for the best X product, especially in those harder categories. 

What are your top 5 most difficult categories to find a holy grail product in?

For me it's:

1. Sunblock (for face) -with UVA/UVB that is moisturizing but not greasy, works well under makeup, and gives me great, long-lasting protection (and also doesn't break me out or dry out my skin.)

2. Mascara- I want one that darkens, volumizes, holds a curl, defines, doesn't clump, doesn't weigh down my lashes, looks natural, is dark brown, not stark black, is easy to remove but doesn't flake, irritate my eyes, or run, and... maybe that's just not possible.

3. Highlighter- I want an easy to apply, easy to blend, non-greasy highlighter/illuminator that isn't glittery, isn't too flat, isn't full of silicones, doesn't remove my makeup when I rub it in, isn't too orange, isn't too yellow, isn't too pink, isn't too bronze, looks natural. Is that possible?

4. Makeup remover- I just want one that removes my face and eye make-up (and waterproof makeup) easily, but is gentle, doesn't require rubbing, doesn't turn my eyes all blurry for hours, doesn't sting my eyes, isn't full of alcohol, and isn't scented. I would have the perfect product if not for coconut oil making my eyes stupidly blurry for hours, and for REN's cleansing balm stinging due to the horrible rose essential oil. Eugh!!!

5. Deodorant- I just want one that keeps my pits smelling fresh. I don't care about antiperspirant even. I know I'm supposed to sweat- I don't want to clog those with some junk. I just want to smell decent, or like nothing too bad, by 5 pm. I mean.... I guess I'll just have to reapply? I really like Lavanila's deodorant, but it doesn't last. Same with Dermalogica's Environmental Control- they are great until a few hours in the day. Eugh!
Ok I have some updates! I've kind of found some holy grail products in my categories! But it doesn't mean I'm off the search- I just realized certain things I thought were holy grails may not be working as well as I thought so I've added some new categories to take their place, here we go:

First for the FOUND HGs in my categories listed previously:

1. sunblock- may still be on the search, but for now LOVING Lavanila's The Healthy Sunscreen. (Just a tiny bit of a white cast and greasy for about 20 minutes after application, but I can live with that).

2. mascara- Red Apple Lipstick 'The Lash Project' mascara (only problem is the price at $45 and that it doesn't come in brown).

3. highlighter- RMS Beauty Living Luminizer

4. makeup remover- DIY with water, coconut oil, and baby shampoo.

5. deodorant- Malin + Goetz Eucalyptus deodorant  ( Thanks @@CassieM !) + reapplying with travel version of Lavanila if I need to be extra fresh in the evening.

Now to continue my search, here are my new categories:

1. Foundation- Thought BareMinerals BareSkin was for me, but it wears off so I'll either have to deal with longevity issues and patchiness in the afternoon (even with a primer it wears off), reapply (which I like the idea of actually, because I can wipe it off at 1, reapply sunblock and then foundation, but leave everything else on), or find another one!

2. Brush for setting powder. I just can't find a good one that doesn't pick up too much product, pick up too little product, scratch my face, or buff off my makeup. I have tried natural and synthetic bristles. Maybe it's my technique? But I've tried pressing, buffing lightly, and patting and nothing seems to work. For setting powder I either use Tarte's Smooth Operator (loose) or Hourglass Diffused Light.

3. Eyeliner (Liquid, cream, and pencil- I just can't find one so use a dark eyeshadow for liner. I've tried Lorac Front of the Line, Physician's Forumula 4-in-1, Urban Decay 24/7, NYX glide-on, NARS, NYC, MAC fluidline and just don't like any of them. Maybe I'm not cut out for a strong eyeliner.)

3. Eyeliner (Liquid, cream, and pencil- I just can't find one so use a dark eyeshadow for liner. I've tried Lorac Front of the Line, Physician's Forumula 4-in-1, Urban Decay 24/7, NYX glide-on, NARS, NYC, MAC fluidline and just don't like any of them. Maybe I'm not cut out for a strong eyeliner.)
I really like Laura Mercier liners. They don't smudge onto my browbone!

Good to know that lots of other people have the same makeup issues I do! The HG products I have yet to find are:

1. Under eye concealer--nothing seems to totally cover my dark circles

2. Foundation--i want something full coverage, yet non greasy or cakey. Covergirl 3 in 1 is pretty dang close, but sometimes I feel like it could be better

3. Eye cream--I hate hate hate my under-eye puffiness. I haven't tried many eye creams, though, due to the fact that they're hella pricey and take time to work--therefore you can't just try one out one day.

4. Moisturizer--some make my face feel tight, some make my face feel greasy. I just want my face to feel smooth

5. Mascara--my main concern is with lengthening. I just want crazy long eyelashes that aren't clumpy. I like l'oreal l'extreme, but the search continues.

A concealer that will not crease under my eyes. But I don't think it's possible. 
I don't know if it's possible either. I stopped creasing, but then just got dryness and fine lines.

I have been using NARS radiant creamy concealer but that showed my lines really awfully, so I started putting on urban decay eyelid primer on my lower lashline and well... now it's just dry and super wrinkly, so I don't think that helped any.

I don't know if it's possible either. I stopped creasing, but then just got dryness and fine lines.

I have been using NARS radiant creamy concealer but that showed my lines really awfully, so I started putting on urban decay eyelid primer on my lower lashline and well... now it's just dry and super wrinkly, so I don't think that helped any.
Putting primer under my eyes always makes the skin look really dry and crepe-y. -_- /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> But that's too bad the Radient Creamy Concealer didn't work for you - I find that if I do one layer (JUST one) and let it set, then set powder on top I have no problems with it settling into my lines, which are like... Grand Canyon deep.

This is totally not safe for your eyes, so I am not offering this as advice only personal chit-chat, but I have better luck filling in my lines if I dot a pore-filling face primer on them before I use concealer. I've been using the Smashbox one from a sample, and I am going to try the Lorac sample I have next, but of course POREfessional or Too Faced Primed & Poreless or any would work... :ph34r: /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

A concealer that will not crease under my eyes. But I don't think it's possible.
This is my number 1. I like Benefit Fake up for being moisturizing but it isn't enough coverage for my shadowy circles.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fun topic!  My list of HG's is short.  I've tried so many hundreds of products and like a lot of stuff but really don't love much.  I honestly am still looking for HG products in almost every category...

Foundation- I want something with medium coverage to even out the redness on my cheeks, that will cover the broken capillaries on my nose/cheeks but at the same time let my freckles show through.  I want a semi-matte finish that will last all day and feel light on my skin and look like natural skin.  That's not asking too much, is it? ^_^ /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Setting powder- Something that isn't totally matte, slightly luminous, blends well, and doesn't cake up or cling to dry patches.  I've tried various silica powders and I don't like them at all.  Going to try Hourglass ambient powders and see if those are everything I'm dreaming of.

Bronzer-  Every bronzer I've ever tried is either too dark, too light, too shimmery, too matte, too orange, etc....

I could go on and on but those are staple products I use everyday and I wish I loved my current products more than I do.

A foundation/bb cream with light coverage but matte finish, (does not leave that wet look that requires a ton  of powder on top) that also makes skin look "glowing" or "illuminated" but not oily,  Does that make any sense?!  :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> And it has to be in light/ neutral non orange shades . I don't need to cover anything besides under eye area (and use concealer for that) , just even my skin tone a little bit and some healthy glow because my natural skin looks kind of dull . In short I want a foundation that will really look like I'm barely wearing anything on my skin but will not leave me oily cause than I would have to put on a lot of powder and that defeats the whole purpose. 

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back