Substitute for retin-A

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by Carolyn /img/forum/go_quote.gif You can use Retin A any time of the year.I have read that the sun can alter the effectiveness of Tretinoin - Retin A's active ingredient. So use the Retin A at night and make sure you use lots of sunscreen during the day. As well Retin A will make you even more susceptible to the sun's rays - another reason to wear sunscreen during the day.

Before you use a moisturizer with Retin A, ask your pharmacist which brand will not reduce the effectiveness of the Tretinoin.

My Derm also told me use Retin-A at night. He told me during the day Retin-A doesn't work to its fullest because of your reason- the sun.
I use Retin-A my lotion is cetaphil also recomended by my derm.

Retin A makes my skin red and burn. I stay away from it. Try Vitamin C products for brightening.

Some OTC (non prescription) alternatives to Retin A

I had tried Green Cream level 6 and did not see great results. I moved up to level 9 in Green Cream and developed redness, sensitivities, etc. The level 9 was just too much. Green Cream works well for a lot of people; but take it slow. I recommend using retinol type products at night; good sunscreen during the day.

I have discovered the Avene line. They have Ystheal cream (and also Emulsion) that contains retinaldhyde - a gentler form of retinol. I am able to tolerate this well. I could use the Avene Ystheal cream under my eyes every night. The Ystheal cream plus Eulage gel is the best eye combination for me. I am 46.

I alternative this with Diacneal from Avene. The Diacneal is marketed as anti-acne BUT for me it is also anti-aging. Actives are 6% Glyolic acid (AHA) and double the retininaldehyde compared to the Ystheal. It has 0.1%. Due to the AHA I cannot use this every night; usually about every 2 or 3rd night. This is quite strong for OTC.

ROC also has a reasonably priced retinol type product. I have not tried it so I can't comment. But I have seen good reviews on other forums.

I use BHA during the day under my sunscreen. Still trying to find a good one.

Is it ok to use AHA cream in the mornings if im using Retin-A nightly??? also wanted to know..can i bleach my face while im on Retin-A ???

Originally Posted by angel_eyes /img/forum/go_quote.gif Is it ok to use AHA cream in the mornings if im using Retin-A nightly??? also wanted to know..can i bleach my face while im on Retin-A ??? What do you mean by bleach? Bleach the hair? Lighten your skintone?

Originally Posted by angel_eyes /img/forum/go_quote.gif Is it ok to use AHA cream in the mornings if im using Retin-A nightly??? also wanted to know..can i bleach my face while im on Retin-A ??? You can use the AHA in the a.m. and the retin-a at night. Not sure about the bleaching. I get my upper lip waxed and the last time I did it, I forgot to lay off the retin-a for a day or two prior and I had some irritation (a very small spot or two where the skin was removed).
10.gif
This time I will be sure to avoid that area for a while before I go in for the waxing.

Originally Posted by beautynista /img/forum/go_quote.gif What do you mean by bleach? Bleach the hair? Lighten your skintone? bleach as in to lighten the facial hair!

Originally Posted by vtmom /img/forum/go_quote.gif You can use the AHA in the a.m. and the retin-a at night. Not sure about the bleaching. I get my upper lip waxed and the last time I did it, I forgot to lay off the retin-a for a day or two prior and I had some irritation (a very small spot or two where the skin was removed).
10.gif
This time I will be sure to avoid that area for a while before I go in for the waxing. thanks
smile.gif
i dont wax my upper lip..cuz i end up with acne, bleaching is the option i have..however i fear the irritation it can cuase since im on Retin-A!

Well, all three (AHA's, Retin A and Bleach) can be very irritating. If you are currently irritated by the Retin A (experiencing flaking, dryness, redness) I would not start a regimen with an AHA unless you are completely sure your skin can tolerate it, and if so, I'd start with a very low %.

As for the bleach, I'd lay off the Retin A for a couple of days or so before bleaching and a couple of days after as well.
smile.gif

HTH!

Regular Retin-A cream is comedogenic (acne causing) to individuals that are acne prone
frown.gif
I would suggest getting a prescription from your derm. depending on your skin type. Retin-A-Gel is for oily skin and safe and so is Mirco-Retin-A for all skin types.

Shar

Originally Posted by shar /img/forum/go_quote.gif Regular Retin-A cream is comedogenic (acne causing) to individuals that are acne prone
frown.gif
I would suggest getting a prescription from your derm. depending on your skin type. Retin-A-Gel is for oily skin and safe and so is Mirco-Retin-A for all skin types. Everyone's skin is different, but I have found that for my VERY acne-prone, almost 50 year old skin, that regular Retin-A works great. I've been using it for a little over 4 months and my skin looks much better. I can't wait to see what the next 6 months hold. My understanding is that Renova is for those who are not acne-prone as it is a much more moisturizing base.

Renova is linked to the retin-a family. It is a milder form of topicial treatment for acne and skin rejuvenation. You still need a doctors prescription to use it. Even though it is a lower percentage of tretinoin it can still cause dryness, irritation, flaking or redness durning the cold weather.

Shar

i've developed unusual darkening of skin since i started retin-A a week ago. i havent been in the sun at all during this week...wondering if someone can help me!!!
frown.gif

Angel Eyes please tell me when you apply your retin-A am or pm. Are you just treating certain areas of your face? Did your face show un-even skin tones before you started using retin-a? Are you taking any prescribed medications? Sometime using retin-a will cause temporary hyperpigimentation.

If you will answer me back I might be able to make a suggestion to you.

Shar

Originally Posted by shar /img/forum/go_quote.gif Angel Eyes please tell me when you apply your retin-A am or pm. Are you just treating certain areas of your face? Did your face show un-even skin tones before you started using retin-a? Are you taking any prescribed medications? Sometime using retin-a will cause temporary hyperpigimentation.If you will answer me back I might be able to make a suggestion to you.

Shar

i apply it only at night.im applying it all over my face for treating acne. i had uneven skin tone before i started using retin-A. i have been prescribed doxycycline for acne for 10 days.

how long does it take for temporary hiperpigmentation to fade off ..???

Yes, you can use a salicylic face wash when using retin-a. The salicylic is only on your skin between five to ten seconds and then rinsed off. It shouldn't cause your face any irritation.

Shar

I have been looking into papaya enzymes for the same result, I think I may order some and add them to a face cream.

I was using retin A and my face turned into a red splotchy mess. The green cream is a great alternative and is not as harsh.

I can second that using the Avene line with Ystheal is incredibly gentle. I was a little nervous about spending the money but it was well worth it.

Back