Sunscreen/sunblock recs

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the recs - I actually used to use Neutrogena dry touch and loved it til I heard that it was unstable that its effects only lasted half an hour or so. I read up on this again, and now it appears that its not unstable at all -so much for those 2 tubes that I chucked!!

I think I'm gonna go with this for body sunscreen at least since it has a good price, subtle smell, and feels nice

Kinerase is a good lotion with SPF30. I've used it before in the past. It's a good choice.

On my face I use Neutrogenas Healthy Defense Daily Moisturiser(untinted). It can be purchased at CVS for $8.99 on sale.

I've had a really hard time finding a sunscreen that works without making my face completly oily! I recently tried out VIchy's SPF50 and it's the best that I have tried so far. It doesn't leave my face sweating when I go outside in the sun and hasn't caused me any breakouts.

I use Clinique's SuperDefense SPF 25. I friggen' love it. I've been using it for 4 years... I think?

I've heard women using Ocean Potion SPF 30 Anti-Aging. Seems interesting. I might try it when I'm done with my two tubs of SuperDefense.

i like neutragena dry-touch sunscreen.

its good for normal to oily skin(i think)

Originally Posted by girl_geek /img/forum/go_quote.gif I am looking for a good sunscreen (or primer or light moisturizer with SPF) to wear for everyday. I need something that meets that following requirements:
1. Does not degrade in the presence of mineral makeup (so probably no avobenzone, unless it's stable like Neutrogenia's Helioplex).

2. Good for very oily skin -- mattifying effects a plus
smile.gif
Also noncomedogenic (won't clog pores).

3. Little to no fragrance, or natural fragrance. Many synthetic fragrances bother my allergies.

4. At least SPF 30. I have about every risk factor for skin cancer you can have except for regular tanning/sunburns (I have very pale skin, several moles/freckles, family history, AND I'm using acne meds [retinoids] that decrease my sun resistance)!

Here are the ones I've tried so far:

* CO Bigelow Extra Light Face Lotion SPF 15 -- this has some of the best mattifying effects I've seen due to the white clay. (It only keeps me matte until lunch time, but without it, I'm greasy by mid-morning!) However, it's only SPF 15 and I doubt it's stable with mineral makeup.

* Shiseido Ultimate Sun Protection Lotion SPF 55 -- this was recommended to me as being great for oily skin and stable with mineral makeup. However, it has a horribly strong fragrance that really bothered my allergies, and the fragrance did not wear off until sometime after lunch! Yuck! (It kept me matte for about the same amount of time as the CO Bigelow.)

* Neutrogenia Dry Touch SPF 55 & up -- Despite the "matte" finish, this is still rather greasy, slimy, and thick for everyday use. I use this on days where I'll be outside all day, but I'd prefer something lighter for most days....

Thanks in advance!

Are you still around? What did you choose? You sound as picky as me, and I'm still looking for that perfect sunscreen. I hate most that I try.
Shiseido The Skincare Essential Day Moisture Protection is only spf 15, feels greasy, and breaks me out.

Neutrogena Healthy Defense SPF 30 feels extremely heavy, so I'm using it up on my neck.

Sofina Perfect UV SPF 50+ (which the women on makeupalley have raved about) feels great and doesn't break me out, but it alters the look of mineral makeup, making it look whitish and opaque. And it kind of mattifies too well- it's drying.

I'm considering ordering the Sofina Rise UV Cut Milk, which is a moisturizing version of the Perfect UV, feels even more wonderful and seems to sink into skin better, but like the Perfect UV, it has alcohol as one its ingredients, and I'm concerned it is drying in the long run, making my skin produce more oil.

I guess I will look into the Clarins product Pomander suggested above. And the La Roche Posay. I hope more people keep the suggestions coming, though.

I'm considering Sofina Nuance now, however, does it give a white cast? Both LRP fluid extreme & Neutrogena gave me whitening.

Okie I dont want to get tanned or darker under the sun( I am already medium brown). What type of sunscreen should I use? Say Im going to the beach side?Im confused on which to get since I've never used one!I want something for my face and body..not the whitish type perhaps something invisble?Suggest suggestion needed
biggrin.gif

Go for SPF 30, it's an average protection that is enough year round. What do you mean by white ? Usually the "white" side effect is due to the physical blockers like titanium dioxide, but the technology has been perfected so i believe it's more a matter of trial and error than a product flaw.

Anyway, if that's what you mean, i'm not of much help as i always look for titanium dioxide in my sunscreens !

you can use Neutrogena Sensitive Skin, SPF 30 or 60. I hope this is best sunscreen for your skin.

I've been impressed with banana boat suntanicals. It's green, and scented, but gives a nice 'dewy' effect that adds to the makeup rather than detracting.

I just bought La Roche Posay Anthelios XL SPF 50 fluid extreme range.Its simply the best and the first sunscreen I've ever used! Ive never used one before as I always thought they're greasy ang pore clogging! This Anthelios XL is highly recommended and has good reviews overal in the net.I bought this as I was going to the beach side at the south france.It didnt give me a whitish cast, sinks immediately plus not greasy at all!Best part I havent broke out from it as my skin is damn sensitive and acne prone!What a good find and it would be my staple choice!

Bronze, that sounds really good too!

I bought Neutrogena after reading a lot of positive reviews, the powder touch one, and I really like it.

For my face I use Garnier skin Renew moisturizer with spf 28... And for everywhere else I use a Neutrogena stick sun block.. Like a small stick deptorant.. Goes on easy and isn't oily or greasy.. Carry one in my briefcase and one in the car and one in my purse..

Originally Posted by bronze_chiqz /img/forum/go_quote.gif I just bought La Roche Posay Anthelios XL SPF 50 fluid extreme range.Its simply the best and the first sunscreen I've ever used! Ive never used one before as I always thought they're greasy ang pore clogging! This Anthelios XL is highly recommended and has good reviews overal in the net.I bought this as I was going to the beach side at the south france.It didnt give me a whitish cast, sinks immediately plus not greasy at all!Best part I havent broke out from it as my skin is damn sensitive and acne prone!What a good find and it would be my staple choice! Glad you like it ! I love it too
smile.gif

I bought a sunscreen from Avène, good because packed with titanium dioxide and zinc oxide (second and third ingredients on the list !) but the texture is so thick, and they stay on the skin rather than sink in, so it leaves a greasy, glue like feeling, and it stains your clothes. Still going to use it, but i'm disappointed.

Back