Super thin hair.

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm 15 to and my hair is sooo thin I never thought it was possible. I've never known anyone else to have the same problems I do with my hair. I can't curl it even with hair spray, I can't put it up into a pony tail with out people at school asking if I have cancer and its hard because I don't and no one understands how bad it is to have to deal with this. My homecoming is coming up and there is nothing special to do with my hair, like always, and I do have nicknames at school and it is hard. I've had extensions once and they hurt so bad because adding that much weight to the little hair that I have and it hurt so bad I had to get it taken out because they were causing my headaches and it was pulling out my hair but I wanted to keep them because I could do so many things with my hair and it mad me feel better about my self and it was beautiful. But it didn't last long. I know how u feel and it sucks so bad.  

I agree with Dragonfly; keep your hair in layers, not just one length. This way, your hair will look like it has more volume than it really does. And maybe you should stop flat ironing your hair everyday? Straight thin hair = more scalp. Also, you might wanna try some volumizing hair mousse. As for actual hair "thickening" products that work, I know of none.

I gotta say--as bad as frizzy, puffy hair sounds, isn't that the definition of volume? You should definitely stop flat-ironing--not just for the health of your hair, but wouldn't it accentuate thinning? 

Sometimes, frizz is just curly hair that can't reveal its true nature because the hair itself is too heavy. I had a friend with frizzy, long hair--but she got a short, layered haircut and it really brought out her beautiful natural curls. Find a small salon in the city that has talented barbers who understand hair, and will know how to work with your natural texture.

Change the hair products you use, and how you use them. You really shouldn't shampoo your hair every day--it just doesn't need to be stripped of moisture every single day. If conditioners are weighing your scalp down, only use them where you need them (which is really, the middle and end of your hair). I never have conditioner on my actual scalp, because if it leaves residue it'll just weigh your hair down.

This might sound random, but make sure your scalp itself is healthy. Avoid shampoos with harsh surfactants like sodium laurel sulfate--if you have sensitive skin like me, it's awful for you. I have dry sensitive skin prone to eczema, and my scalp is no exception. A few months ago I started using some random shampoo that irritated my scalp, and my hair started falling out like crazy. Gross, but keep that in mind.

Back