Swagger Cosmetics

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by meaganola /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I go by this rule: If members of a community who don't know each other tell me a word is offensive and hurtful, I try to respect their humanity and put that word on the forbidden list.
I agree with this statement however we are discussing a product, not a human.

Originally Posted by meaganola /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Comparing a person to a transmission is dehumanizing and in fact a large part of the problem
noone is comparing anyone to a transmission......

this is the same thing as people getting up in arms over target naming the color of a dress manatee grey, its not like theyre calling the person who wears it a manatee....

people are far too sensitive.

but anyway, I thought the naming was funny on all of them, and I'd be really interested to hear more about people's thoughts.

Originally Posted by katlyne /img/forum/go_quote.gif

noone is comparing anyone to a transmission......

this is the same thing as people getting up in arms over target naming the color of a dress manatee grey, its not like theyre calling the person who wears it a manatee....

people are far too sensitive.

but anyway, I thought the naming was funny on all of them, and I'd be really interested to hear more about people's thoughts.

Well, you asked why it was offensive, and you mentioned transmissions, so I figured I might as well address that -- in addition to everything else -- since you brought it up.  Overall, I was just trying to explain what has been explained to me, and at least once at great length by someone whose girlfriend had just left a party because *as a trans woman*, she was so uncomfortable due to the use of that word that she couldn't stick around any longer.  I don't use ethnic or anti-gay slurs (except in illustrative examples, like I did in the below paragraph), so I figure I might as well not insult trans people while I'm at it, especially since I was specifically asked not to use that particular word, and further research into the matter indicated that it wasn't just her that was offended.  It's a community-wide issue.  

One of the biggest problems here is that the use has become so normalized that people don't even realize it's one of the most hurtful things a trans person hears, much like my grandfather was so casually and ingrained racist that it didn't even *occur* to him that perhaps "wetback" was an inappropriate word to use in reference to Mexican people, to name just one example that has resurfaced in the news this week, and continued use and refusal to stop using it just tells that person that "I don't care enough about you as a human being to stop using this word that tears at your soul every single time I make you see or hear it.  Hell, I don't even think of you as a person.  You're an other and a *thing*."  Even if *you* don't mean that, it's what that person hears and feels.  Yes, people are sensitive -- because these words have been used to hurt for far too long.  

And I was raised to never, *ever* use ethnic slurs.  It pains me to even use them to explain something or illustrate a point.  My mother was so adamant about this that she told my grandfather (yes, the casual racist) that if he *ever* used one of those words in front of my brother or me, he would never see us again.  If I find out a word is considered to be derogatory, I remember my mother, realize how horrified she would be, and *stop using that word*.  I put this word on par with ethnic slurs, so it's on the banned list.

Apparently, I have stumbled into the role of trans activist today.  I have *no clue* how this happened.  

Meaganola I understand where you are coming from. You are trying to be sensitive to others' feelings and are not doing anything wrong by doing so. I know my comments may seem callous but they are not meant that way. I know three people in real life who are TS/TG and to be quite frank they are the ones who call each other that and laugh. Maybe they are just easy going. They are amazing and I am constantly inspired by their inner strength in difficult situations.

My post before states "The big difference between being offensive and silly is how you say stuff." I firmly believe this and that is why I have taken the naming of a cosmetic with a grain of salt. It is a cosmetic and not a human. We have many TG members and I adore them. Heck, I learn a lot from them! I would never want to make any of them feel badly or unwanted so I would never direct any slurs at them. Anyway, I just wanted you to know I do appreciate and respect your sensitivity to others but wanted to explain how I saw it.

Just my two cents....

Meagnola,

I feel the same way as you about using derogatory terms that hurt people.

However, a trans person can have different feelings about that word. Some trans people are private about being trans, and that is certainly their right. Some trans people (especially cross dressers) are flamingly proud , and embrace the term "Tranny". I have friends who do, and plan on sending them a link to this makeup, they will get a huge kick out of it.

I'm not comfortable as a straight female throwing around terms among people to whom I'm not close. I'm certainly not a fan of re-claiming certain words back into the vocabulary of society that have long been hurtful. But those who call themselves "Trannies" have every right to do so. It's an open part of their lifestyles.(I'm sure you know this already)

As far as this company naming shadows , I have no idea to what demographics they are targeting. So I kind of am with holding judgement.

And thanks for having the guts to stand up for your beliefs, it's hard sometimes, I know this first hand. The word "retarded" sets me off.

So I did a quick check on their site, and yes, they are marketing to trannies. (Cross dressers)

Blake Karamazov is a quirky & fierce makeup artist who loves high fashion, heart-shaped lollipops and being around kids in any setting. She began making cosmetics five years ago, inspired by childhood memories of being the most fabulous little boy in Las Vegas. Blake makes all the cosmetics in her new line, Swagger, herself by distilling a unique mixture of Russian literature, hip hop, and elaborate wigs. The resulting highly pigmented colors may cause spontaneous sex changes and if spilled, turn boring things into champagne. They are also 100% vegan, as Blake herself eats exclusively rhinestones and glitter. Swagger insures you are ready for the party, whether the party involves a hot tub, a funeral, or both.
Team not offensive to their target market.

Back