Tell Friend Her Makeup Looks Bad?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe it's just me, but I'd personally would just tell her how i see it.. that it looks orange and doesn't match her skin. lol

I don't know how long ago it was that you and 'friend' went to MAC together but I would say that the MA matched her wrong. That way it doesn't sound like you're pointing the finger at her as if she doesn't know how to chose makeup. I would suggest going to a different location or choosing a different MA if you go to the same location. Suggest getting an opinion from a different make up artist. Ewww, that's a tuffy!~

It's a difficult one but I would really want to know if it were me. In fact I wish I had someone reliable to tell me. I am really new to makeup and have been trying for months to get a really good colour match with MMU. Everyone I know (friends included although they don't wear makeup) just says yeah it looks fine! Well I trusted their opinion only to find out days later in a different light, photo, or mirror that it was ssoooo NOT the right shade. I am still searching!! I would tell her in the nicest possible way and if she doesn't like what you say at least you tried.

I always say the truth about my friends make-up. They know if I tell "what did you did to your face?" it looks not really good. My friends do the same. I think it's better to be "cheeky" and say the truth than be quiet and watch passing people starring at her, thinking that UFO just landed on earth.

I would just tell her but be nice about it. I'd hate to go around walking like that and not have anyone tell me, if anything i'd be glad if someone told me my foundation looked off bc that's the one thing that shouldn't look weird in the first place.

I think I'd ask her to come make up shopping with me, then I would encourage her to try on new foundations "for fun". If one really matched her skin tone I would encourage her to purchase it.

It's hard to tell a friend that their make up doesn't look right. Personally I would be thankful because I want to look good. Soem people don't view it that way. My sister used to wear a red eye liner that made her eyes look red and inflamed, and when I mentioned to her she might want to switch to a brown or a black she got upset at me.

I would tell her. I would want someone to tell me.

No one wants to go around with bad looking make up. A true friend would find a way to tell her, your friends are supposed to have your back. Not let you go out looking like an oompa loompa, who put make up on in the dark!

I would tell her, I would wanna know if I was making a mu no-no!!! I've been there, and I wish someone WOULD have told me :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

in my opinion friends are overrated, so if she gets mad. o well.

you were just trying to help her.

but i would lay it on her gently by going shopping with her & suggesting other colors or suggesting that she let a makeup artist at the store apply the right shade to her. :]

Originally Posted by puncturedskirt /img/forum/go_quote.gif Maybe it's just me, but I'd personally would just tell her how i see it.. that it looks orange and doesn't match her skin. lol Ditto. All these "message in a bottle", "smoke signal", "decoder ring" tactics don't change the truth of the matter. While you're strategizing to spare her feelings, she's walking around like an orange fool. I think this is a situation where your concern over how she looks should override your concern of her getting upset at you. I don't envy you the task though. Oh, and MAC is too cheesy a brand to be a snob about.

Originally Posted by puncturedskirt /img/forum/go_quote.gif Maybe it's just me, but I'd personally would just tell her how i see it.. that it looks orange and doesn't match her skin. lol Agreed, just tell her and offer to help her find one that matches.

how about u do a daytime "outing" on a hot day, so shell surely haveon a tank or something... or maybe the beach... while the sun is at its brightest, take lots of pics. go over them together, later, and see her reaction, maybe?

i sure wish sum1 wouldve told me back when i was younger, or maybe they just insinuated, and never actually spoke up.

Id rather tell the truth and save a life, than tell a lie and take a life
smokin.gif

I've had one or two people telling me my foundation doesn't match before. I don't get offended about it, but some people might, and you mentioned she feels she looks great? If that is the case, she might think you are jealous of her or something if you say her foundation is too orangery. I don't know your friend so I wouldn't know how she'll feel, but I do have some friends that would feel this way if they thought they look great and I tell them otherwise, so I thought this might be something for you to take note. I'll say its most tactful to just lead her to test out new shades under the pretext that you need a new foundation.

how would I approach this situation? hmmm

well for the mostpart I am a brutally honest person haha but I tone it down for friends
smile.gif

So I would be there one day or night before going out with her and just casually mention it WHILE SHE IS PUTTING it on!

"hey hun? What foundation do you use?"

"I use ______ why"

"I LOVE the coverage of it, (or w/e you DO like about the foundation itself not how it looks on her) but that color is a little rusty. Do they have other colors? I mean I'm sure they do but do they all have that same base type color (sorry I dont know much about makeup so Im making this up as I go haha)"

Make it sound like you are interested in getting that foundation yourself, then go out together and try colors out together and get her to try other colors.

THEN when SHE puts on a color that compliments her rant and rave over it and then grab the one she usually uses and SHOW HER the difference! If she likes it then she will change, if she doesnt then well...there isnt any hope LOL. And telling her straight out "your foundation makes you look like you have a fake tan for a darker woman" wouldnt even help at that point haha.

People respond to things better when they think they are the one making the choices rather than people trying to change them or w/e.

lol thats just me tho LOL

i think u should tell your friend about her foundation, but in a nice way, of course. I would want someone to tell me if that happened to me. I would be embrassed, but it would be better coming from a friend than someone else. So hopefully things will work out for your friend. Good Luck!

I always find it hard to believe that people don't know that their foundation is messed up (doesn't match, not blended) because it's always SO obvious. I worked with a woman who's foundation was HORRIBLE. It was plastered on and you could actually SEE the line along her jawline where the foundation ended. She had to of known.

The thing is, if they think they look good (and it's safe to say that they do), then that's all that matters. I know that my make up may not look that great to some people, but I like it and it works for me. I don't really care if someone doesn't like it, and I doubt these people care if others like theirs.

I'd just snap a picture of her in full makeup looking orange and show it to her. You've tried the subtle approach, just be up front with her and tell her it may be time to switch it up. She'll appreciate it more coming from you than she would from a stranger who may be a little malicious. If she still wants to wear MAC that's fine, she just may need to change from NC to NW or vice versa. That worked for my friend, She went from a NC40 to an NW and it matched her perfectly, undertones and all.

I was at Walmart w/ my friend and I was like can I find match your neck (I can't remember how I asked)? She's like, why not my wrist? Uh... cause your wrist isn't the same color?? I only try MU on my wrist for the texture, not to match my skintone!

I didn't even notice what she was wearing was too pink for her. She said yeah and I picked one out to match HER NECK of course, and she said it was all wrong and she matched her face, (and blew off my opinion)... Which isn't her real skin anyway cause of the foundation she was already wearing, and why would she want her face a diff. color than her neck???

Mine doesn't match me completely, but it's close enough for me. From the side I look light brown, but from the front I look pale, so I try to go a little darker to match my neck. It's hard finding my color.

i say grab her by the hand and lead her straight to the prescriptives counter for a color match. once she sees what her makeup can look like when done correctly she'll be happy you made her do it. she can probably stand you being direct if it's approached in love. plus, the added bonus is that she'll be gorgeous! what a great thing to do for a friend.

Back