The value of a US dollar = down considerably.

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Of course this is no good news for you Americans, but I can only say I´m sooo looking forward to my shopping trip in L.A and then in D.C in Febuary. I can get so much more stuff for my $$ now.

I feel it!! I am Scottish living in the US and when I travel back to Scotland it is so expensive just to even eat!! Now, when my family come here to the US they have a blast, shopping for all kinds of things at half the price they would be paying back in UK. As far as the euro, it is a great idea for Europe except that UK doesn't deal in Euro's yet, so it makes it difficult to travel through Europe unless you change Stirling into Euro.

I appreciate the actual change euro/dollar (next month I'll bein the US, for some weeks), and I promise I'll help your economy, buying everything
add_wegbrech.gif

But I know how american feel....I remember when my country had a weak currency, respect to Germany or France!

Originally Posted by empericalbeauty /img/forum/go_quote.gif Coming next year, Naira (the Nigerian Currency) will be equivalent to the US dollar. That is very far-reaching speculation at best. I want to see how the new currency stability measures they are enacting will affect the exchange rates first. It will take more than a year for that to happen, especially, because the Naira is reputedly not backed 100% by a standard other than oil.

well, it is sure awesome for me, i can order stuff from the US that are really cheap given the exchange rate !

that said, since we have euro, prices have become awful here, even going to the grocery store for just food (and i mean with no extras) is a mini torture. when we compare, we could get a full shopping cart for 100-150 franks. now for 15-20€ (the converted sum), you get nothing at all.

my brother ordered an airsoft gun from a shop located in Hong Kong and with the custom and shipping costs he will still pay considerably less than in France.

the current sterling/euro exchange rate is also stopping me from buying in the UK.

Originally Posted by KellyB /img/forum/go_quote.gif Ya know I took Economics in College and I made an A though don't ask me how b/c I still don't undertand why we don't just print more money to pay our bills. I'm kidding. I understand the concept but the rise and fall of the dollar I never got. lol this reminds me my own economics course back in high school.

It is true that Canadians are flocking to the USA because of the exchange rate. Many people from my city are driving to Grand Forks, ND. I read that people have bought ATV's in Grand Forks and they are $3500.00 cheaper even with the exchange rate and the warranties are valued here. I haven't gone yet but maybe after Christmas I will head down.

i suggest you go before if you can Shelley, i'm sure you can find something cheaper for a christmas gift.

Originally Posted by dentaldee /img/forum/go_quote.gif I think it's great.......I live just across the border from the US and many years ago we would go to the US shopping but exchange rates just got so ridiculous that we stopped......now we can again.........well till the end of the year anyway..........can't cross anymore unless you have a passport.....which I do, but many people do not.I say there's nothing wrong with other countries economies growing instead of the US for a change!

I agree!!!

Well...without getting into a political discussion, I'll just say that the value of the dollar didn't get where it is by accident. It was driven there.

I, personally, think it would be great if the US eventually switched to Euros. However, I find it hard to believe our government (this Administration or any other one) would allow it to happen. We're too elitist.

Originally Posted by Kathy /img/forum/go_quote.gif Well...without getting into a political discussion, I'll just say that the value of the dollar didn't get where it is by accident. It was driven there.
I, personally, think it would be great if the US eventually switched to Euros. However, I find it hard to believe our government (this Administration or any other one) would allow it to happen. We're too elitist.

If the US STILL refuses to adopt the Metric System, you'd better believe there's no way we're switching to Euros! lol!
wink.gif

Originally Posted by StereoXGirl /img/forum/go_quote.gif If the US STILL refuses to adopt the Metric System, you'd better believe there's no way we're switching to Euros! lol!
wink.gif
He he, I think switching to metric should a higher priority than switching to Euros, LOL!As far as the value of the dollar goes... For me personally, in a very small perspective, it's nice. I ordered Antiquitease palette from Ebay, and even though it was 10 dollars more than in regular stores, and I had to pay 6 dollars for shipping, it was still cheaper than getting it in the shops here. I have a friend who is working in the US for a short while and I asked her to pick me up some MAC things - it saved me 300 Swedish kronor (47 USD).

In the long run though, can't the weak dollar have a negative effect on the global economy? I don't know much about economy, but that's a point that has been made in the press here.

We could never switch to Euros. First of all, if we were even considering it, that name "Euro" has to go. Something more patriotic like "Amero" or even "Freedom Dollars" sounds more like it.

Hehe.

With the USD tied so much to so many of the world's transaction, no doubt the world economy will be affected, perhaps in some undesired ways.

Were not Elitist Kathy... Were just better than everyone else!! Hahaha.

I guess when the Brits give up the pound then we might consider giving up the euro? Nahhhh... Be nice if we could get rid of the penny though...

I was talking to one of the hockey shops and when a canadian team comes down for a tournament, they wipe the store clean before they go back!! I think its great.. Were making money.. Their saving money.. Win win except for the Canadian stores who will soon start to yell...

Funny to that the dollars stinks but the stockmarket is going crazy? Go figure.. And even with the dollar down a LCD tv that I paid over $3,600 for 2 years ago is now $800!! Too many puzzle pieces missoing and too many variables!! Lol. Maybe the whole world should adopt the Yuan? Chinas getting all our money anyway??

All I know is a Diet Coke cost me the same in Ontario as it did in Monclova Mexico as it does down at the corner store by my house.. Maybe we should standardize on Coke-a-cola products!!

"That makeup will cost you one case and two 6-packs of diet coke... And here's your change... Half a 2 litre bottle... Wait.. Let me take another swig out of the bottle.. Forgot to charge you tax!!! ".
biggrin.gif

Nox - i have that book. Rich dad, poor dad...excellent excellent book. I think it was a recommendation on oprah if i remember correctly.

personally, I'm really indifferent about the dollar going down.. But ..things could be worse. Its really great for my hubby's family whom i haven't seen in years...and gives them more reason to fly to the states.

Back