Thoughts on Girl Scout Cookies?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by tgooberbutt /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote: Originally Posted by MissLindaJean /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I buy the cookies, but do so to support these kids. There's a little business woman trapped in a 7 year old's body and I get conned every year lol. 
How does the selling work to benefit the kiddies? Do they set up their own sales/marketing plan? I hope they get something educational/life lesson-like out of the experience. 

For my nieces at least, the money they earn goes to a lot of different things. Field trips (I think this year the troop is going to Sea World as their big field trip) and every year at Christmas they each get to pick out a couple kids to sponsor on the Adopt-an-Angel Tree. I think also for them, Girl Scouts has helped with their confidence.

they're pretty good, but nothing special. I can't remember, did their boxes shrink over the years? I think I tried to join the girl scouts when I was in kindergarten, but the local troop/interest group didn't have enough girls my age interested. I just like the novelty of kids selling cookies downtown, by campus, etc. I feel bad for boy scouts though lol, I see them selling popcorn/nuts/etc and stuff and no one ever buys them.

Originally Posted by americanclassic /img/forum/go_quote.gif

they're pretty good, but nothing special. I can't remember, did their boxes shrink over the years? I think I tried to join the girl scouts when I was in kindergarten, but the local troop/interest group didn't have enough girls my age interested. I just like the novelty of kids selling cookies downtown, by campus, etc. I feel bad for boy scouts though lol, I see them selling popcorn/nuts/etc and stuff and no one ever buys them.
The physical boxes are the same size I think, but the weight/number of cookies is a lot less than it use to be...and the ingredients have changed :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I don't buy GS cookies for myself because I have zero self control around the Thin Mints.  Now, where I'm lucky is that my boyfriend love GS cookies, but hates the Thin Mints - he's a Lemon Creme guy.  I don't like those, so when I order, I only order Lemon Cremes for him, and that's it.  Problem solved!

I love them; never had them much as a kid and finally got around to trying them as an adult (so basically, I don't have much to compare them with since they've always been the same to me). Iced Berry Pinatas were the first ones I ever tried and I loved them. Samosas are another huge favourite. I know it is GS season and while I would normally pick up a few boxes of Thin Mints for my boyfriend, I just got him a bunch of Star Trek cookies from All Things Exquisite so I'm holding off.

My daughter is 6 and sells all of her own cookies. I will go with her when she wants to go door to door, but I don't make her and I never ask people on her behalf. She worked a booth the other day and they weren't even allowed to ask people to buy the cookies. The girls were behind a table full of the things and they would nicely greet passers-by. The troop does get a percentage of sales, and in my daughter's troop that's how they fund everything. FYI, my daughter's troop also chooses a beneficiary for cookie donations. For those who do not want to buy cookies but want to support the troop, they can choose to buy a box which is then donated. Last year they chose a food pantry, but this year they are collecting cookie donations specially for soldiers on a military base a few hours from here. Then, at the end of the cookie season, the girls are going up to the base to meet some soldiers and personally deliver the cookies to them. I guess what I am getting at is that a lot of good things come from the whole experience. The girls get a lot of learning opportunities along with money for the troop.

I'm super late to this cookie party but I found a Walmart brand of the Samoa coomies. Except I think they taste better and the package is bigger than the girl scout box. And for $1.88! I found them the other day. Random that I stumbled upon this thread too lol I'd probly buy from the girl scouts if I knew of any but I've been craving them for months and ate half the box as soon as I got home from Walmart :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Back